5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Type & Filter

jb772

Reaction score
Fellow 3.6 owners,

Although I know the owner manual says to change the oil when the truck tells you to; I'm coming up to 4,000 miles on mine and plan on changing it within the next two weeks just to stay on top of things (and because it'll be my first oil change of the truck). For those of you that have changed you oil and filters, which oil and filters did you choose? Any specific reason for your decision?

Thanks for the shared info!

U

User_3336

MO-349 is the recommended oil filter. I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20.

downsjh

Reaction score
Any tips/tricks in changing the oil? How easy to access the filter? Wrench size? Are ramps/jacks required, or is it accessible? I’m planning on changing it next weekend, around 4500 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz2016

Reaction score
Simple change, I don't remember wrench sizes needed. I used my short 6" ramps to give me plenty of room.
It took me a while to find the filter on mine. It is hiding under the plastic cover on top in front of the firewall. Drain oil, remove cover, remove oil canister, (I put paper towels around the base), install new filter, replace canister after oiling the o-ring, replace drain plug, and fill with oil. One more hint - 0-20 weight oil is extremely thin and it really shoots out the drain. Use a large pan and place it with that in mind.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fellow 3.6 owners,

Although I know the owner manual says to change the oil when the truck tells you to; I'm coming up to 4,000 miles on mine and plan on changing it within the next two weeks just to stay on top of things (and because it'll be my first oil change of the truck). For those of you that have changed you oil and filters, which oil and filters did you choose? Any specific reason for your decision?

Thanks for the shared info!
The oil wars...

I just use what the dealer has. Poor ignorant me.

downsjh

Reaction score
I was able to easily change the oil. No ramp/jacks needed, just slid under the passenger side, right behind tire. Oil drain just clears the frame bar, so not too messy.

Oil filter is easy to access from top, no mess. I used the Mopar filter, 0W20 pennezoil oil. 5 qts exactly to refill.

Slight concern I only got 3qts from the drain. Check the oil level from the factory!

CornTrucks

Reaction score
The oil filters on top of the pentastar engines are a wonderful thing.

jb772

Reaction score
I was able to easily change the oil. No ramp/jacks needed, just slid under the passenger side, right behind tire. Oil drain just clears the frame bar, so not too messy.

Oil filter is easy to access from top, no mess. I used the Mopar filter, 0W20 pennezoil oil. 5 qts exactly to refill.

Slight concern I only got 3qts from the drain. Check the oil level from the factory!

Are you located in a colder state? I'm in Florida and usually use 0W-40 in all of my previous vehicles (diesels) - this is one of my first gas engine trucks so I'm still trying to get used to them.

downsjh

Reaction score
Are you located in a colder state? I'm in Florida and usually use 0W-40 in all of my previous vehicles (diesels) - this is one of my first gas engine trucks so I'm still trying to get used to them.

Arizona. I always use the oil called out on the oil cap. Not confident in changing the oil type.

JimD007

Reaction score
I used a Fram filter and Walmart's SuperTech 5W-20 full synthetic (not the high mileage version). $15 for a 5 quart jug. I change every 5,000 miles so it may not matter a lot what oil I use. I used a 24mm socket on the filter cap (15/16 is about the same) and a 13mm socket on the drain plug. It is at an angle so you may need to move the drain pan. I am not huge (42 jacket) but I thought it was pretty easy to get to the drain plug without jacking the truck.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ to many peeps surprise super tech FS oil is very legit stuff! Use it in the wife’s van for years. 0-20 FS oil at the time was extremely expensive. Lots of research before I changed to it. Amazing stuff for the price. Saved us money forsure. 5k intervals will be of no issues. If it wasn’t for the multiple awesome deals I’ve gotten the PUP for. I’d roll it in mine.

derp

Reaction score
I used a Fram filter and Walmart's SuperTech 5W-20 full synthetic (not the high mileage version). $15 for a 5 quart jug. I change every 5,000 miles so it may not matter a lot what oil I use. I used a 24mm socket on the filter cap (15/16 is about the same) and a 13mm socket on the drain plug. It is at an angle so you may need to move the drain pan. I am not huge (42 jacket) but I thought it was pretty easy to get to the drain plug without jacking the truck.

just... damn. if we are gonna go down that low in quality just save yourself some time and put in a full time filter bypass. after seeing the first few fram filter teardowns it became obvious that they are the bottom of the market.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I just bought 5 quarts 0W-20 Penzoil Platinum and a Mopar oil filter for my first oil change. Haven't done it yet because I only have 1,200 miles on the odometer. Either a 24 inch socket or 15/16 will work to remove the oil filter cap.

JimD007

Reaction score
I aware that there are various reviews that do not report favorably on Fram filters. In the can type, they often comment on the cardboard supporting the valve. All I can say is I've used them for decades, not exclusively, and never had an issue traceable to oil. I ran my last "truck" type vehicle, a Suzuki SUV with a small V6, 150K miles and often used Fram filters on it. But I changed oil every 5K miles. My son drives it now. I am pretty sure it will go over 250K miles like the last vehicle I gave him.

I am not trying to say you should not use a filter or use one you don't like, I am saying that the main thing is to keep the engine full of clean oil. The filter helps and if I changed at 15-20K miles I would be sure I had a good filter in there. But at 5K miles, I don't think it matters as much.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I aware that there are various reviews that do not report favorably on Fram filters. In the can type, they often comment on the cardboard supporting the valve. All I can say is I've used them for decades, not exclusively, and never had an issue traceable to oil. I ran my last "truck" type vehicle, a Suzuki SUV with a small V6, 150K miles and often used Fram filters on it. But I changed oil every 5K miles. My son drives it now. I am pretty sure it will go over 250K miles like the last vehicle I gave him.

I am not trying to say you should not use a filter or use one you don't like, I am saying that the main thing is to keep the engine full of clean oil. The filter helps and if I changed at 15-20K miles I would be sure I had a good filter in there. But at 5K miles, I don't think it matters as much.
Have to admit I am certainly no purist on oils or filters. I agree that with 5K or less changes, it shouldn't really matter what filter is used. If you push it out like with synthetic (or do what some Amsoil test truck does, they never change the oil, just replace the filter and the 1-2 qts it holds...) then it had better be a good one.

Or you can be like this guy: https://millionmilechevy.com/million-mile-chevy/ ...who replaces his every 25K (freight delivery 1 ton) and he states that he idles a lot... He has a million plus miles on the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread