5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Retrofit Kit

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would it affect anything, it just replaces the new cap with integrated filter to the old style cap that allows you to replace the filter.

I understand what it is. But there was some chatter in another thread about how the oil flow pathway through the new filter is much different than the old one, so I just want to make sure altering the oil flow pathway to the old style isn't going to be detrimental to this engine design.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's not much to oil filters besides the o rings, filter element and valve. You'd need to saw each in half and take a look. I doubt it's drastically different with such a similar engine, the pressures will be similar as would the flow and viscosity, its all related. Cheap filters are glued, have no anti flow back valve and the media is crap. The design is still the same. They cheap out on surface area and the valve.

This type of filter is more like a VW TDi cartridge filter, there's not a valve, it is it's own resevoir with the casing holding the oil. Diesel engine oil lasts nearly forever anyways, the main reason for a change is fuel dilution and soot accumulation. The oil is still "good". Only way to know when that is is to send oil out to a lab like blackstone.

Users who are viewing this thread