5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Extraction

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Has anyone here with the 3.6 personally used an oil etractor like the EWK? My concern is that all/most of the oil is actually extracted. I’m trying to confirm the hose will get to the bottom of the pan and not be obstructed by a baffle, etc. TIA.

JimD007

Reaction score
I have an oil extractor but I do not know what a EWK is. Mine is steel with a container that you pump to negative pressure after inserting a plastic tube down the dipstick tube. I use it on my Mercury 90 hp outboard because the boat is always in the water so no chance to drain it normally. It works but it is VERY slow. Like hours. That oil is 25/40 weight so that may be part of it. But I tend to think it will not be a fast process on my truck if I ever do it that way. If I had extreme mobility issues or something I guess I might do it that way. But at 65 I can still get to the drain plug just fine and would much rather do it that way.

I would not worry too much about getting all the oil. I think an extractor can and you can reposition the hose to make sure you do. Changing it via the drain plug can leave a little too. I do not see much difference in the methods from that point of view. Extractor is just SLOW.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone here with the 3.6 personally used an oil etractor like the EWK? My concern is that all/most of the oil is actually extracted. I’m trying to confirm the hose will get to the bottom of the pan and not be obstructed by a baffle, etc. TIA.

I have a Mityvac PneumatiVac (air compressor powered) pneumatic fluid evacuator. It has 3 foot hoses that you stick down the dipstick tube to get into the sump.
I haven't used it on the truck but I have used it on my wifes Jaguar XF which is the preferred way to change the oil and it siphoned all the oil out. Its slow though.

On my truck, I'd simply crawl under and remove the sump plug bolt, the jaguar has a splash shield with about 7 million attachment bolts, its easier to not have to lift that car, remove those bolts then the splash shield then drain the oil then reverse. I simply plug the extractor hose into the oil fill siphon tube, connect the air hose and walk away. 30-40 min later its drained then I just change the top mount filter and pour in the new oil.

If the 5.7 had a top mount filter like the V6's do, Id use the extractoer and do something else while its working

Mityvac PneumatiVac (air compressor powered) pneumatic fluid evacuator.

61EsakUIjLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JimD007

Reaction score
I've said this on another thread but I have a hand pump type oil extractor that I use on my outboard boat motor. The outboard uses 25-40 weight oil which probably makes it worse but it takes me over an hour to remove the oil. I cannot imagine using this on my truck unless I was just physically unable to go under it. At this point, it is the easiest oil change I do. I don't even need to lift the truck, I can reach the drain plug from the side. I can also reach the filter housing that way. So an extractor would not add anything except unnecessary delay.

clay282

Reaction score
Just stumbled onto this thread. My 19 V6 Etorque has no issue with vacuum extracting the oil. I actually use the previous jug of Mobile1 marked, to make sure I’m not burning oil. I mark the level in marker on the jug, fill the truck, save the jug. Then after I vacuum the next oil change out, I refill the old jug and see how close it is to the original line. Not burning oil, so I’m good. And, it’s convenient to take into any parts store to recycle.

Speaking of. I can come home from a long trip that would have any sludge churned up and vacuum out the old oil smoking hot and not worry about getting burned.

I have seen a few people post 3.6 pans and the plug isn’t on the exact bottom, but the vacuum straw is. So I’m pulling all of it out.

Audi’s, Benz, BMW, etc etc etc, all vacuum out oil. If it’s their standard, I can’t imagine it not being good enough for our trucks.

Very easy. I don’t get dirty or break a sweat. If something is easy and convenient AND saves money. People are far more likely to do it when they’re supposed to. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/