5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Cooler failed (leaked)

Cajuntec

Reaction score
So I was due for my 60K transfer case service, and right about that time, my check engine light came on. I got the OBDII test done, and it turns out it was a bad thermostat. Reset it by disconnecting the battery and it was fine for a day before giving me a check engine light again (I always do this to see if the OBDII test changes results). Again - bad thermostat. Basically, it was not allowing the engine to come up to temp. So I added that to the maintenance item when I dropped it off to get the transfer case service done.

They called... my coolant looks like chocolate milk. So I have oil in the coolant. So blown head gasket or leaking oil cooler. They determined it was a leaking oil cooler. So they put in my extended warranty claim and I get back an email saying that it is completely covered, and that I only have a $100 deductible. That's cool.

But today, I get the bill. They are charging me for an oil change and coolant flush / fill. I was under the impression that since this was a warranty job, that those things were covered in the warranty repair. So I pushed back. They are looking into it now.

Am I being unreasonable to assume that an oil flush and change / coolant flush and change would be part of the warranty service, since both were contaminated by the leaking oil cooler? Heck, if I had known I was going to be charged for the change, I would have bought them a couple of gallons of Amsoil and my filters, instead of them charging me for Mopar parts! When she wrote me (I have the email), she wrote, (cut and pasted from the email):

I GOT EVERYTHING APPROVED MR. GLENN 😊 you just have a $100 deductible.

All the best,
Glenn

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You are absolutely not being unreasonable. I would not pay for any collateral damage from a covered repair

Cajuntec

Reaction score
They eventually saw it that way as well. I had to push back twice, but the bill came down to just the $100 deductible, plus my transfer case service bill, which I already knew the price. So it all worked out. Hopefully, this is the last of my issues with this truck. Never had that fail on a vehicle before. Wonder if that's common?

Probably could have done the transfer case service myself as well. Just have never done that before, so after doing the front and rear differentials, I took it in for the transfer case service.

All the best,
Glenn

Cajuntec

Reaction score
So this morning, I wanted to check all the fluids myself, to ensure I didn't see any contamination.

Oil was clean. And clear. I mean, really clear. Not used to oil being super clear like that. I was expecting a light amber color... but it's at the level required - and it was installed by the dealer (maybe I should panic at that statement - Ha!)

Coolant... was non-existent. In either the radiator or the fill tank. I can't see past that little plastic shelf in the radiator neck, but it was definitely below that level, because none was there. So I opened the fill tank reservoir. I can see a little shimmer of fluid way down in the bottom. But shouldn't that at least be full? Shouldn't I at least see some coolant... somewhere?

What makes me really nervous about it is that when I turned the truck off after getting it home yesterday, the fan kept running longer than normal. But the engine never got over normal temp yesterday... so maybe I'm worried for nothing.

All the best,
Glenn

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can see the fan running longer than normal if the court was low. If it were me I would go right out and buy some of the correct Mopar coolant and top it off myself, And thoroughly inspect everything for leaks. Maybe even take a video of it before you put it in and save your receipt, possibly go back on the dealer for the cost?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s possible that if you aren’t seeing any sort of leaks that the tech wasn’t able to bleed out all of the air. Id go back and just have them top it off with the correct coolant.

Cajuntec

Reaction score
I didn't even realize there was a "dipstick" until you posted that. Thanks! Just went check it, and mine does have the dipstick - and it's dry. So it's not registering anything in the tank. I've contacted the dealership about it. Waiting to hear back from them, since nobody in the service department is answering their phones right now.

Likely just needed to be purged, as Sascwatch noted... but I would have figured since they had it for a week... that would have been verified before I came pick it up. But I'll just see if they can top it off.

All the best,
Glenn

Cajuntec

Reaction score
Dealership technician didn't know there was a dipstick either. In fact, they still claim there is none, and that I'm mistaken (even though I just verified it does exist). I can't bash him too hard, because I didn't even know about it either, until you all told me about it. Wait... Yes I can. He was trained on this stuff. I wasn't! Ha!

All the best,
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread