5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change in 2020 V6 Pentastar

chaschargois

Reaction score
Purchased a new V6 Pentastar in July..Just turned 5100 miles in Feb. Have contacted four (4) Ram dealerships in the area about initial oil change. All gave a different answer to when the oil should be changed. Owners manual shows 10K miles for oil changes. Dealership keeps asking when I am going to have the initial oil change done. Any suggestions?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil changes are cheap...new engines, voiding your warranty and counseling due to sleep deprivation are not.

If you sleep better at night changing it every 5,000 miles, then do it.

If you sleep better at night changing it every 7,500 or even 10,000 miles, then do it.

Just don't exceed the 10,000-mile threshold.

JimD007

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram classic with the V6 is about the easiest vehicle I have ever changed oil on. I can reach the drain plug without raising the truck and the filter is a paper cartridge right on top of the motor. I will have to get a lot older to think of paying anybody to change the oil in my truck. I change it at 5,000 mile intervals but did an early change too. Some think that there may be more metal particles in the first couple thousand miles. I don't know but oil changes are cheap, especially when all you pay for is the materials.

1lowcab

Reaction score
I get mine changed at the dealership just because they offer an unlimited powertrain warranty if you do that.
The sticker they put on the windshield for the reminder is set at 5000 miles.....I'm always in there well before that point.

stormcom

Reaction score
2500, 7500, 15000 are my change points. After that at 40%. Oil is cheaper than an engine. Oil analysis at 7500 including filter.

Users who are viewing this thread