5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change every 12 months

bskubon

Reaction score
What’s the recommendation for us retired folks who don’t drive much, regarding changing the oil every 12 months regardless of mileage? I changed my oil at breakin at like 1000 miles and 12 months later only added like 3000 more miles. I try and drive it 2 or 3 times a month.

Yangster

Reaction score
I think it's time or mileage, whichever comes first. Conventional oil breaks down over time and usage so it was whichever came first. Now with synthetic, I don't know if time still applies. I would still change on a 12 month cycle. Don't want the MFR to have any reason to decline future warranty work.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the recommendation for us retired folks who don’t drive much, regarding changing the oil every 12 months regardless of mileage? I changed my oil at breakin at like 1000 miles and 12 months later only added like 3000 more miles. I try and drive it 2 or 3 times a month.
I do it religiously, partly because I have a lifetime warranty and the owner’s manual calls for it. I use very good products, e.g. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter. I run 6-7K miles per year.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
What Yangster and Speedy said. The filters can break down, keep your warranty in good standing.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look for the dealer and regional coupons. I've used them for 2 years now, usually conventional oil/filter works out to about $30-35 per visit, and that's 6 quarts in the hemi.

1616184649939.png

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
I've always been told at least once a year if you do not reach the mileage. My Grandmother had a 89 Buick that my dad had the oil changed every year. I think that car had less than 20k miles in 2005 and still smelled like a new car and ran like new. Fuel dilution is a factor in all vehicles to some degree and if you do not drive it for very long or far the fuel won't burn off and it will degrade the oil to some degree, or at least that is what they say. For peace of mind I'd just do at least every 12months in your case.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

To stay within your 5 year/ 60K mile powertrain warranty, make sure you have proof of doing it at least every 12 months, regardless of mileage.

After that, if you are using a quality synthetic, you can easily do it every 2 years. All my older vehicles and bikes that get low usage (500-1000 miles a year) are on a 2 year oil change interval, and even that is being really conservative based on oil analysis.

At 3,000 miles a year, I would do it every 12 months.

Last edited:

KCViper

Reaction score
For all you non-Texan's (have no clue as to why), Ram Care is included with a new truck purchase and includes 4 oil changes and 4 tire rotations that is good for first two years. By my math, I'll be changing the oil every 6 months!! 😁

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I have only ever run Dino oil in any of my vehicles and I have owned ones for the past 42 years. I have never blown a head casket, motor, Rod or such. This includes 3 seperate Hemi engines. the past 4 vehicles have the oil ch age light, 2 hemi’s and 2 pentastars. With both the loght comes on at very different times, depending on how I have driven the vehicle. I have had the hemi go as far as 8k but as little as 3.5 when towing a lot.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have only ever run Dino oil in any of my vehicles and I have owned ones for the past 42 years. I have never blown a head casket, motor, Rod or such. This includes 3 seperate Hemi engines. the past 4 vehicles have the oil ch age light, 2 hemi’s and 2 pentastars. With both the loght comes on at very different times, depending on how I have driven the vehicle. I have had the hemi go as far as 8k but as little as 3.5 when towing a lot.
I, personally, would never let DINO oil in any new engine over the last 10+ years based on the tight tolerances and higher operating temps and let it go for over 3-5K miles. Full Syn is cheap and like $22 for 5 quarts of a high quality oil like Pennzoil Platinum or many others at Walmart. Just my 2 cents.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just use full synthetic, and follow the oil life meter on your cluster or every 12 months, which ever comes first. If you drive normally in regular environments, expect every 7,500-10,000 miles otherwise. Refer to the manual for service intervals for verification. I always listen to the manufacturer: not a dealer, not a JiffyLube employee, and definitely not someone on a forum lol.

Users who are viewing this thread