5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change by dealer = oil drips on my garage floor

TSL

Reaction score
I had my first oil change on my '22 Rebel EcoD. I did it at ~2700 miles. I know opinions vary on first oil change being early, but anyway, I did it. I also sent off a sample to Blackstone labs, still waiting on getting that back. I ordered their pump and drew sample through the dip stick. I bought the Mopar bundle of 3 oil changes, and that was fine, the dealer honored that, it would have been $249 otherwise.
Took the truck home, parked in the garage, next day there was a small oil drip on the garage floor !!
At this point let me say, that had I done my own oil change, there would have been plenty of oil on the floor:( I always try to be careful, but invariably, it splashes out in an unexpected way when I remove the oil pan plug, or runs down my arm, or....something ! I generally find for myself I'm better off paying for it, it takes me forever, and I make a mess, sadly !
But... when I'm paying for it, and they put the truck on a lift in the shop, I really expect them to be clean about. Is that reasonable ?

The same day I noticed the oil drip, I got a text from the service manager, wanting to know how my experience was and to not hesitate to get in touch if there were any concerns, blah blah blah. So I texted him back and included a picture, and said I was disappointed by the drip on the floor, understood that oil can splash, but would hope for better attention to detail in cleaning it up. No response to that by the way.
After a couple of days I notice there's now 2 or 3 spots on the floor, so now I'm getting a little more irritated so I (a) crawl under and take a look and take some pictures and (b) call the dealership and ask to speak with the service manager. I only got his voicemail. That was Friday. We will see come Monday does he call me back. What I said was that at this point I'd like to bring it back in and have them clean it up properly.
Is that reasonable request do you guys think or am I being a "jerk"? It's a new motor, and now I have oil smeared under it, and dust is going to stick to it etc.
I did notice when underneath, that the oil drain plug is not in the most convenient place, to put it mildly. It's almost directly above the front axle it looks like. And there's a sway bar or something right across that area too. And, this being a Rebel, there's a skid plate there on top of everything else ! ( or under everything else I guess ! )
I've included some pictures with this post, and in one of the pics I put finger through a hole in the skid plate and swiped it around, notice how much oil is on my finger when I pulled it out. I think some quantity of oil has splashed onto the skid plate while doing the oil change and they didn't bother to clean it up and it is slowly dripping out onto my garage floor. I'm not seeing any evidence of a drip on the oil drain plug, I think they did at least tighten that up properly.
Should the skid plate ideally be dropped for an oil change on this configuration or would that be overkill ? If doing it myself I would be inclined to do so.
I'm thinking of getting a Fumoto valve, I'm thinking if I had that, I should be able to do the oil change myself without too much mess, especially since the oil filter is accessed from the top of the motor, so it's not going to dribble oil all over me when I take it off !
Anybody have any recommendations for which Fumoto valve to get : https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-pickups-ram-2022-1500-3-0l-v6-diesel-turbo ? I'm inclined to go for either the long (F106N) or the short (F106S) nipple one since then I could attach a piece of tubing and route the oil cleanly out to a container . Just need to be sure the versions with the nipple will fit in there.
Interested in any other Ecodiesel, especially Rebel, owners experiences, and what my expectations should be in terms of the vehicle being clean of oil after an oil change !

Attachments

• 20220916_161101.jpg
    20220916_161101.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN5769.JPG
    DSCN5769.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN5768.JPG
    DSCN5768.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN5767.JPG
    DSCN5767.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN5766.JPG
    DSCN5766.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 48

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There should be no question- they should fix their sloppy mistake. All the would've had to do is spray some brakeclean where things got messy and blow it dry. It only takes a couple minutes. At this point, I have no patience for carelessness.

I got the f106sx fumoto valve so I could position it where I want it. I haven't drained the oil with it yet.

Vicdog

Reaction score
My first dealer oil change had a dripping oil plug that was finger tight.

Jake103

Reaction score
The guys likely doing the oil change are lube techs. I worked in a dealership before and some care and actually clean it up, or others are just there for a pay check and don't care what work they do. I don't think it's too much to ask, most techs will clean it in order to not have a comeback. Otherwise some really don't care unfortunately. Sometimes to it may get cleaned but with the skid plate up there oil sometimes stays places and won't drip right away. So when it leaves it looks clean but after it may not be. Most techs won't drop the skid plate to do an oil change unless they have too, lube techs usually don't and journeymen and light duty are paid by the job. So going that extra mile usually isn't likely. I was flat rate and going the extra mile isn't going to help the paycheck so most of the time it dosent happen.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's why, after years of paying other people to screw up my vehicles, I finally just stated doing it myself. No one is going to care as much as you, you get the knowledge and satisfaction that it was done right, your way and ends up being cheaper to boot.

Just keep a log and receipts and you are fine in regards to the warranty. I log all my DIY services on my Mopar website as well.

TSL

Reaction score
Update : so the service manager failed to call me back, so I decided to go ahead and show up. Explained my problem to the service advisor at the front desk, who, to her credit, immediately said "no, that shouldn't have happened, let's get your truck back right away and we'll take a look". So I sat in the waiting area for 30 to 45 mins or so while they double-checked the oil filter was on securely and the drain plug was tight and cleaned everything up. By rights I should have done the "trust but verify" right there in the dealership and crawled under to check before I drove home, but I was wearing the wrong clothes for crawling under the truck!
Anyway, I checked right away at home and it is much better now, it does look and feel like they cleaned it up.
Still, I had to make an extra trip. 15 mins in, 15 mins home, 45-ish mins there, to correct their mistake. The service advisor lady was apologetic etc, but didn't say "your next oil change is on the house" or any such largesse as that ! Perhaps I should have asked !
Since I've already bought a Mopar 3-bundle oil change package, I guess I'll use that up. Maybe on the 3rd one I'll see will they fit a Fumoto valve for me ! Not sure if they would or not though.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a car go in for some fuel recall thing. They brought it up all done and it was running. I drive off and it was pouring gas out of the bottom of the car. I whipped it right back in and shut it off and told them to call the fire dept. I also had to go super karen before that was a thing to get the fuel replaced by them almost burning down my truck so I made sure their dealership was going with it if it went up.

At this point I do video walk arounds when I drop and pickup anything going to anyone I don't implicitly trust.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my truck’s 4th oil change done at the same dealership and have never encountered oil drips, I would know if it would drip because my truck is parked in my garage every day/night. The only thing I noticed on the last oil change was the greasy hand prints on the hood and fender of my white truck, I was surprised to see that because it is the first time this has happened out of 10 FCA vehicles since 1994. I will mention it to the dealer on the next oil change, they know who did the service by looking at the work order, and if other people complain they will address it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update : so the service manager failed to call me back, so I decided to go ahead and show up. Explained my problem to the service advisor at the front desk, who, to her credit, immediately said "no, that shouldn't have happened, let's get your truck back right away and we'll take a look". So I sat in the waiting area for 30 to 45 mins or so while they double-checked the oil filter was on securely and the drain plug was tight and cleaned everything up. By rights I should have done the "trust but verify" right there in the dealership and crawled under to check before I drove home, but I was wearing the wrong clothes for crawling under the truck!
Anyway, I checked right away at home and it is much better now, it does look and feel like they cleaned it up.
Still, I had to make an extra trip. 15 mins in, 15 mins home, 45-ish mins there, to correct their mistake. The service advisor lady was apologetic etc, but didn't say "your next oil change is on the house" or any such largesse as that ! Perhaps I should have asked !
Since I've already bought a Mopar 3-bundle oil change package, I guess I'll use that up. Maybe on the 3rd one I'll see will they fit a Fumoto valve for me ! Not sure if they would or not though.
Sucks they didn't clean it up, but you could have easily just wiped it down yourself when you were under the truck preventing the second trip to dealer.

As far as the fumoto valve, it helps with oil on the sway bar, but will not prevent the oil in the skid plate as that happens when the oil filter is removed. The oil filter is the main culprit since it's in a horrible spot. You can reach it from the top, but as soon as you loosen it, oil runs down and gets everywhere. Over the steering rack and into skid plate. Do some light reading in multiple threads here about it. No real good way to present it. Some people use a gallon zip lock bag to help.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sucks they didn't clean it up, but you could have easily just wiped it down yourself when you were under the truck preventing the second trip to dealer.

As far as the fumoto valve, it helps with oil on the sway bar, but will not prevent the oil in the skid plate as that happens when the oil filter is removed. The oil filter is the main culprit since it's in a horrible spot. You can reach it from the top, but as soon as you loosen it, oil runs down and gets everywhere. Over the steering rack and into skid plate. Do some light reading in multiple threads here about it. No real good way to present it. Some people use a gallon zip lock bag to help.
You must have the 5.7 Hemi, this tread was for the Ecodiesel, the oil filter is on top of the engine, so the undercarriage should not get oil from the filter if done properly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You must have the 5.7 Hemi, this tread was for the Ecodiesel, the oil filter is on top of the engine, so the undercarriage should not get oil from the filter if done properly.
Damn, I always miss that when doing a "new posts" search

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
Yep. Got my oil change done at the dealer because free....and my perfectly non stained driveway now is stained because those morons don't know how to clean **** properly. Annoying as hell.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, not worth a free oil change to me, I rather pay for the supplies and do it myself for just those reasons. Who knows what else they could have done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online