5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh no, my first truck problem! (well, kind of)

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to back my truck out of the garage this morning and noticed how dark the space was around the shifter knob. It was still dark outside and of course my exterior lights were on as I keep them on auto, so therefore all of the letters and numbers on the buttons around the shift knob (4high, 4low, 2wd, and so on) should have been lit up in white. The truck went into all gears fine with the shift knob and the main gears did light up in orange as usual. The odd thing was the two buttons on the very bottom (axle lock and auto start/stop shut off) worked even though they did not light up and was indicated that they were working on the main instrument cluster, however, none of the 4x4 options worked at all, as in they did not light up and did not function, truck was ‘stuck’ in 2wd. I drove around 12 miles to my destination and then went into panic mode when I got there lookin at the manual for fuses, relays, or whatever as everything else on the truck was fine. Thought I would take the easy way out hopefully and shut the truck completely off and see if it went away, fingers crossed. Left it off for around ten minutes and started it again and BOOM, everything lit up and worked as usual. Even took it out in the field and made sure all 4x4 modes worked. They did, have started it and drove it around a few more times today and was fine. My wife was the last to drive it last night before this happened this morning but I haven’t told her. She would think she broke it and wouldn’t want to drive it again, she enjoys it as much as I so keep it a secret! Not sure what the heck happened but hope it doesn’t do it again! Guess this is my first ‘glitch’. Truck has just under 7,000 miles. I have attached a pic of the shifter just as a reference.

Attachments

• 09588230-02B1-4C7D-A3FE-C2A84558842E.jpeg
    09588230-02B1-4C7D-A3FE-C2A84558842E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to back my truck out of the garage this morning and noticed how dark the space was around the shifter knob. It was still dark outside and of course my exterior lights were on as I keep them on auto, so therefore all of the letters and numbers on the buttons around the shift knob (4high, 4low, 2wd, and so on) should have been lit up in white. The truck went into all gears fine with the shift knob and the main gears did light up in orange as usual. The odd thing was the two buttons on the very bottom (axle lock and auto start/stop shut off) worked even though they did not light up and was indicated that they were working on the main instrument cluster, however, none of the 4x4 options worked at all, as in they did not light up and did not function, truck was ‘stuck’ in 2wd. I drove around 12 miles to my destination and then went into panic mode when I got there lookin at the manual for fuses, relays, or whatever as everything else on the truck was fine. Thought I would take the easy way out hopefully and shut the truck completely off and see if it went away, fingers crossed. Left it off for around ten minutes and started it again and BOOM, everything lit up and worked as usual. Even took it out in the field and made sure all 4x4 modes worked. They did, have started it and drove it around a few more times today and was fine. My wife was the last to drive it last night before this happened this morning but I haven’t told her. She would think she broke it and wouldn’t want to drive it again, she enjoys it as much as I so keep it a secret! Not sure what the heck happened but hope it doesn’t do it again! Guess this is my first ‘glitch’. Truck has just under 7,000 miles. I have attached a pic of the shifter just as a reference.
Gremlins I tell you. I have had a few glitches, note them down in the back of your manual, day, time , and other notes like outside temperature that may pertain. It's just a little more ammo for intermittent issues at the dealer

Lettika

Reaction score
Very good advise and it has been my experience that if you keep track of those details it often leads you to a tangible series of events that cause the symptoms. Now you really have something clear to show the dealer or you can just simply not do that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread