5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offroading....with a CAI

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not here to start a cold air intake holy war. That's not the point of my question. Feel free to install any CAI you want with no judgment from me.

So I tend to offroad every month or so. What I noticed on my rebel (compared to my old 2020 Laramie that I traded it in for) is that the air intake is coming from the midpoint of the radiator...and not coming from the bottom half of the wheel well. I like this design.

Since I upgraded to the vararam Cai, the engine bay can get some dirt, water, mud splash. Since my vararam Cai doesn't have a top to it, it does sit flush to my hood, but I worried that it might slash into the Cai.

Should I change the Cai due to my offroad sitiation?

Your thoughts on this would be great. Will add some pics to show a little more detail.

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My current setup with my vararam Cai. Noticed my dirty engine bay, but look at the top of the hood. The Cai is nicely sealed to the hood, and is blocking it from entering it
d119130a0a40f63c0722b4fcf1f87b6f.jpg

2021 Ram Rebel

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is another picture of the stock intake...on the Rebel.

When I removed the stock intake, it has this going to the radiator, and not downward.
2920f657c9a3c321fd04745f0fa67d51.jpg

2021 Ram Rebel

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would at least run a filter wrap that’s water resistant like Outerwears. View attachment 111348
You are right on... I thought about that right before I installed the vararam and I bought one. Here is a closer view.

I just think that maybe my ocd is just messing with me with this specific intake. I could check it after every offroading trip and see if it's dirty and just rinse it it's super easy to take off and put back on
8c44dfb86abb7a6c68a647ffba14a63f.jpg

2021 Ram Rebel

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can either of you share a link to that filter wrap?

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
My Outerwears prefilter was custom ordered for my Ram Airflow intake and was intended for informational purposes only. But I’m sure Vararam may offer one for their intake as seen in arod412 intake pics.

Last edited:

George_RAM

Reaction score
My Outerwears prefilter was custom ordered for my Ram Airflow intake and was intended for informational purposes only. But I’m sure Vararam may offer one for their intake as seen in arod412 intake pics.

Did Outerwear develop your prototype for the RAM Airflow intake? Just wondering, I would like to get it for my truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I was researching CAI, there was a lot of talk about water/snow getting into the Vararam from the front. After driving through the winter and some thunderstorms, I can definitely say that is not an issue. If you look at the design of the Vararam base, you would have to completely submerge it under water to worry about water getting sucked in.

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
Did Outerwear develop your prototype for the RAM Airflow intake? Just wondering, I would like to get it for my truck.
On the Outerwears website is a custom order section. I just did some measuring of the filter and filled out the form with all my info.
I sent you a pm

apereira

Reaction score
Do you remember what measurements you used when ordering the pre filter? I just placed an order for the Ram air intake and I would like to order the pre filter so it will arrive by the time I’m ready to install the intake.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you remember what measurements you used when ordering the pre filter? I just placed an order for the Ram air intake and I would like to order the pre filter so it will arrive by the time I’m ready to install the intake.
FILTERWEARS Pre-Filter F270K For Vararam Air Grabber Intake https://a.co/d/1ZKGYLW

apereira

Reaction score
Do you know if the Vararam has the same size filter as the Ram intake? This is the the one I’m talking about:

b50b469b75cc6d524193708b60e4ae6b.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know if the Vararam has the same size filter as the Ram intake? This is the the one I’m talking about:

b50b469b75cc6d524193708b60e4ae6b.jpg
Looks different. Found out the Vararam uses a filter made by Green Filters, and is supposedly the only application. Summit lists one, but it's a 2" tall filter and not 3"

apereira

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I may just need to wait until my filter comes in and order a custom pre filter.

Users who are viewing this thread