5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off pavement travel/dispersed camping in Pennsylvania. Or anywhere

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
20191215_125019.jpg
The open gate said come on in.
20191215_130326.jpg the doe.
20191215_131024.jpg
Making sure it works, and explaining anti spin to my son. It works and it was icy.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Starting to plan our trip to Bald Eagle State Forest.

Got to gather my recovery gear, already have the saws and axe ready for any trail blockage.

We have a few tents, got to decide on which one. Figure at first we will just tent camp. Then possibly incorporate the truck into a sleeping platform.

For the offroad portion the only immediate mod is a more aggressive slightly larger tire.

The truck already takes me where I need to go, just got to prepare it for where I want to go.

Purple Lizard maps will be used for navigation and information. Still got to get them

Not sure the direction this will go, a weekend hobby or a passion, but excited to take the truck offroad and disperse camp.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, starter gathering maps, plotting a course, checking out campsites and devise a plan.

Found out that Rothrock State Forest and Bald Eagle State Forest can both be explored from off pavement using the same trail system.

Also learned that the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route can be driven with a 4x4 vehicle.

It goes from Tennessee to New York Pennsylvania border and goes right through both Rothrock and Bald Eagle.

So, my off pavement adventures just got a bit more interesting.

Hope some others will chime in with their "overlanding" plans. And if anyone is familiar with the area or the MABDR in other states please...share your experience.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

JustMe

Reaction score
Haven't found this one to my liking (WA. State oriented) - but I use any number of the following along with creating Google Earth Routes and any # of Navigation Apps (personally I use Gaia) -- public lands.org trailsoffroad.com jeeptheusa.com wanderthewest.com recreation.gov blm.gov trail damage.com and lastly the 'National Park Service' if you like "overcrowded conditions," ha.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
@devildodge I have not seen that specific site before. It looks great though (at least that Arizona route does), thank you!

I use Gaia GPS, Avenza maps, All Trails, and google map/earth. Not necessarily all at once, but a combination of them depending on the situation. Currently, I'm exploring the immediate area of the Prescott national forest which I'm lucky enough to have in my backyard. I download the local maps to my iPhone using the apps I just mentioned. That way I can use the maps even if I don't have cell coverage. I really only need them though if I'm completely lost since I'm not going into completely unknown territory currently. Currently, I'm only referencing them when I'm trying to locate a specific area on the map I'm trying to get to that I have been before. Like if I'm trying to find a new area that would be good for long-distance shooting or camping.

In my opinion, All Trails is the easiest to use and get on trails with.

My longer-term goal is to buy a Garmin inReach device and use their Earthmate app to replace all those other ones I mentioned (when overlanding). It's also is a global emergency beacon in case you're in a life-threatening situation. That service does require a fee though (monthly or yearly).

I need to get some actual paper maps too. I was pretty good at land nav from my time in the Infantry. Could still use a refresher course though.

I'm no expert in any of the above, but I'm learning as I go.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are state park has been having orienteering courses. Not quite advanced map reading, but they helped remind me of my Knowledge.

They are going to have progressively more advance courses.

I love paper maps. They relax me using them. Love seeing the world in front of me.

Hoping to get out and try these new trails very soon.

We hit the local gameland trails this weekend...but the ice made it not much fun.

My wife made me turn around and go back to pavement and my son wasn't with us to talk her out of it.

Good times. I just wanted to have some fun while the kids were visiting friends lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Seems orienteering is a but more popular on the East Coast...but there is an opportunity in Arizona @AnthonyD1978

We just found out on our super offroad adventure that Rothrock State Forest in Pa has 2 available.

JustMe

Reaction score
Are state park has been having orienteering courses. Not quite advanced map reading, but they helped remind me of my Knowledge.

They are going to have progressively more advance courses.

I love paper maps. They relax me using them. Love seeing the world in front of me.

Hoping to get out and try these new trails very soon.

We hit the local gameland trails this weekend...but the ice made it not much fun.

My wife made me turn around and go back to pavement and my son wasn't with us to talk her out of it.

Good times. I just wanted to have some fun while the kids were visiting friends lol
Yes I agree with the PAPER MAPS too . . . to start with the basics - the Delorme State maps are great, but there are a # of Map Books too. Choosing any # of the suggestions I made on last post + a Simple Google search will reveal a LARGE selection . I'd start small and choose a book that Hones-In on a Specific Place your wanting to go -- say like Anthony's Prescott,AZ . . . probably find a Book related for the "region," say, of just Northern AZ, or the "4-Corners" Region . . . !? I prefer, so far, just having my 10.5" iPad Pro on its RAM Mount there to my right - sits just above and right of my cup holders. I currently have a Grand Cherokee. I can bend it toward me and lift it slightly thanks to the Flexible arm of the RAM Mount attached to a floor-bolt on passenger seat . But it's always a good idea for a "hard copy backup - thus, for me, the Delorme Maps.

spinxt

Reaction score
Found a new interest from an old hobby.

On our trip to Fowler's Hollow (which isn't in Bald Eagle State Forest) I got interested in how you can backpack camp in State Forests.

Been to Bald Eagle State Forest numerous times. But just going to the different state parks.

Well, looking for places to get offroad in PA is hard, as most land is private or gamelands. All the private land seems to have been bought with free gates and posted signs and gamelands do not allow vehicles(except certain roads during hunting season).

So with this Google search

I have begun a new plan for my trucks.

Anxious to hear if any one hear has been through here.
I’ve been through most all of Bald Eagle with my Jeep. It’s 90% gravel “logging roads”. Certainly not anything you need 4wd for in most conditions. There are some “high clearance 4x4 only” trails, but they are generally super narrow and lined on either side with mountain laurel. They were fun in the Jeep, but would scratch the hell out of the truck due to the trucks width. No go for me.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also got information and Maps for ROTHROCK AND MOSHANNAN state Forest.

Hoping to get to spend alot of time in mother nature this year.

Our first regular state park camping trip is for April 10th.

Hoping to incorporate the dispersed camping alot more.

Also, thinking of tightening up the laces on my hiking boots more often.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That first site is bigger than my friend's yard and his house is on it. :ROFLMAO:

2wd

Reaction score
Great photos.

Do you know of any spots along Eastern PA? Central is a bit further out for me. I'm in Bucks County

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great photos.

Do you know of any spots along Eastern PA? Central is a bit further out for me. I'm in Bucks County
You are in the William Penn State Forest, but it seems that it doesn't offer much in offpavement travel/dispersed camping.

You are close to the Michaux State Forest.

Email them and ask for a map and campsites. Or get a Purple Lizard map and go check it out.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Thanks.

Reactions: 2wd

Users who are viewing this thread