5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFF ROAD tire inflation?

Stevenc150

Reaction score
A booster/jumper pack with a built in air compressor would be handy to have. Mine also has 110v ports.

orange01z28

Reaction score
Subscribed

I haven't been airing down simply because I don't want to deal with airing back up. I can be pretty Larry David sometimes

I also have a paranoia about breaking a valve stem with my rapid deflator tool and stranding myself even though I've never broken a valve stem.

My buddies in Norcal just run at like 25 psi 24/7/365 so I guess airing down at home isn't out of the question.

I would like onboard air though

Boston

Reaction score
Don’t do the co2 set up. I use a Viair 88p. Good brand, easy to get on Amazon.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just have a portable compressor I keep in the truck that can plug into a 12V or 110V. I also have a schrader valve connected to my airbags to where I can use my Airlift compressor and a portable hose if it really comes down to it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CO2 tanks are amazing, but rather pricey unless you build one yourself. If you want something less serious than a CO2 tank but more reliable and faster than a cheap little phone charger pump, may I suggest a 12V air compressor.

I use a Smittybilt 2780 2.54 CFM air compressor. I can inflate my 33" tires from 25 psi - 45 psi in about 3 minutes or so each. You need to either use the trucks battery (engine running) or have another 12v power source which I use my deep cycle trawler pack I keep in the bed. This pump was about $60 on amazon a few months ago, though around $90 now, still worth it. It comes with a long coil airlines, I can do all 4 tires with the pump sitting in the same location on the ground, I don't have to move it which makes it convenient.

On a side note, If you every plan to deflate tires for some off-roading, I use automatic deflators to deflate my tires to 25 psi (or whatever preset you want). I screw them on the tires and in about 1 minute all 4 of my tires are at 25 psi. It's a great combo with the air compressor.

Compressor: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2...ybilt+2781&qid=1595363770&s=automotive&sr=1-6

Deflators: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GYPO76M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most recently in use with my Ranger at my local mountain truck trail........

Ranger Air Pump 1.jpg

Last edited:

neelddo

Reaction score
I just purchased a Smitty Built Comp Air 10# tank. Ended up being $250 since it was a little scuffed up. I have some friends doing a DIY 5# for around $150. Now i just need to find somewhere to mount the tank :unsure:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I use the Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM unit. I also use a few other items as my tire kit in the truck:

MiiisterAnderson

Reaction score
For portability, I prefer the Powertank C02 system. We aired back up this weekend with a 5# tank after wheeling in CO. The only downside of the CO2 system is that when discharging the tank, hose, and nozzle get very cold, so gloves are advisable.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Master Flow 1050. i've used it even with 37's though a little slow for such size :)
This is inflating 4 315/70/17, it takes about 3-4 min or so to go from 15 to 35psi per tire.
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

If you want some quicker Vaiair 300 or 450P.
Or might as well pony up for a CO2 tank setup and you can still keep your air compressor as backup. I guess it all depends on fast you want to inflate.

CaptBeach

Reaction score
Great wisdom guys...anyone HARD MOUNT one under the hood? Like Viaiar?

Users who are viewing this thread