5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd behavior running tire inflator off battery

dsn112

Reaction score
Hey guys, any idea if this is causing me some trouble? I dropped down to 20psi to set my tire deflating valves for when we go out in deep sand. When refilling I plugged my Vlair 300P pump to the battery terminals, started the truck and went to filling back up.

After a few minutes of use, my 4 way flashers started flashing, and then the truck randomly started honking its horn.

Any ideas what is going on here? I got this pump specifically because I need to air up from 20-55 and didn’t want to sit there all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Rebel

Reaction score
That is a feature that tells you when your tires are at the correct psi. Haven’t been able to get that feature to work for me. The inflator I was using is quite slow though

dsn112

Reaction score
Interesting. I’m running rebel wheels and tires on my bighorn so I’m inflating over what the stock wheels and tires were at.

Tom488

Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual:

Tire Fill Alert
This feature notifies the user when the placard tire pressure is attained while inflating or deflating the tire.
The customer may choose to disable or enable the Tire Fill Alert feature through use of the customer settings in the radio.
NOTE:
• Only one tire can be filled at a time when using the Tire Fill Alert system.
• The Tire Fill Alert feature cannot be entered if an existing TPM system fault is set to “active” or if the system is in deactivation mode (if equipped).
The system will be activated when there is over 1.5 psi (10kPa) of change in tire pressure. The ignition must be in the RUN mode, with the transmission in PARK (P).
NOTE: It is not required to have the engine running to enter Tire Fill Alert mode.
The hazard lamps will come on to confirm the vehicle is in Tire Fill Alert mode.
When Tire Fill Alert Mode is entered, the tire pressure display screen will be displayed in the instrument cluster.
Operation:
• The horn will chirp to let the user know when to stop filling the tire, when it reaches recommended pressure.
• The horn will chirp three times if the tire is over filled and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to inflate the tire.
• The horn will chirp once again when enough air is let out to reach proper inflation level.
• The horn will also chirp three times if the tire is then under-inflated and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to deflate the tire.

dsn112

Reaction score
I don’t see any option to shut it off. Strange

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual:

Tire Fill Alert
This feature notifies the user when the placard tire pressure is attained while inflating or deflating the tire.
The customer may choose to disable or enable the Tire Fill Alert feature through use of the customer settings in the radio.
NOTE:
• Only one tire can be filled at a time when using the Tire Fill Alert system.
• The Tire Fill Alert feature cannot be entered if an existing TPM system fault is set to “active” or if the system is in deactivation mode (if equipped).
The system will be activated when there is over 1.5 psi (10kPa) of change in tire pressure. The ignition must be in the RUN mode, with the transmission in PARK (P).
NOTE: It is not required to have the engine running to enter Tire Fill Alert mode.
The hazard lamps will come on to confirm the vehicle is in Tire Fill Alert mode.
When Tire Fill Alert Mode is entered, the tire pressure display screen will be displayed in the instrument cluster.
Operation:
• The horn will chirp to let the user know when to stop filling the tire, when it reaches recommended pressure.
• The horn will chirp three times if the tire is over filled and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to inflate the tire.
• The horn will chirp once again when enough air is let out to reach proper inflation level.
• The horn will also chirp three times if the tire is then under-inflated and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to deflate the tire.

Thanks for posting that! I saw the Tire Fill Alert in my settings and wondered what it was. But, I had not yet bothered to go look it up.

I wonder if a dealer can reprogram it for a different # of psi than what's on the placard.

dsn112

Reaction score
Are you sure? Settings, under Safety & Driving Assistance - it should be the last option

I’ll check again, but i went through all the settings a couple times.

dsn112

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that! I saw the Tire Fill Alert in my settings and wondered what it was. But, I had not yet bothered to go look it up.

I wonder if a dealer can reprogram it for a different # of psi than what's on the placard.

Tazer can do it, but I don’t really want to spend all that just for this.

Users who are viewing this thread