5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O2 sensor

Leff

Reaction score
So I finally got around to throwing some LTHs on the truck. Ran wonderfully for about 50 miles but once it started cooling off the CEL came on for the O2 sensors. Has anyone found a good way to get rid of the light besides tuning it?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Don't know what is a LTH, so can't answer that one.
Since you know it's an O2 sensor, which bank (1 or 2) and which sensor (1 or 2)?
The upstream sensor (no 1) is before the catalytic converter and close to the exhaust manifold to provide feedback to the ECU, keeping the air/fuel mixture correct for driving conditions.
The downstream sensor (no 2) is there to measure efficiency of the catalytic converter.

Steve

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'd start by looking for air leaks. Remember, O2 sensors don't read rich/lean, they read oxygen content.

If you have a mechanic's stethoscope, remove the probe and shove a ballpoint pen tube (or anything else that fits that is handy) in the hose and run that around suspicious areas. The slightest air leak will be amplified massively and the narrow opening lets you pinpoint it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check for any little leak ahead of it as it will throw a code.

I didn't know a tune would be needed. Have to unlock the pcm for that.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
If it's the downstream O2's you might try O2 spacers. This works with cat below spec codes.

If it's the upstream, your going to need a tune. LTH's move the location of the O2 farther down which must be compensated for in the tune.(on GM LSx engines anyway)

Users who are viewing this thread