5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Sure...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So a local dealer has several 2021 RAM 1500 Limited's I am interested in. Loaded with split tailgate (no RAM boxes which I don't want). MSRP is close to $73K and they are willing to sell either one for $63K. Trying to get them closer to $60K but the remaining 2020's aren't helping my situation. They offered me $48K for my truck if I leave the Retrax on which I can't use anyway if I get a split gate truck. I paid just over $57K about 2 years ago. Looking at both BLACK and GRANITE with the Night Edition Package...they both are loaded to the max and without Ram Boxes. Trying to decide if it's worth it to do it now? Wait for the 2021 Ford F150 Platinum which stickers at just over $71K? Or wait for the 2022 RAM?

Decisions...decisions :unsure:

Thoughts anyone?

Awood05

Reaction score
I don’t know if you’ve been in a Ford recently, but I will tell you that the 10 speed transmission is $hit. My last two Ford’s had it and I hated it. My opinion, go for the 2021!! I did and I LOVE it. LOL(Granite with Night Edition) 675914A9-8C8D-4C6B-A035-CB09CA005E8F.jpeg

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
IDK that there's enough difference between your 19 and the 21, I'd wait til 22

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So a local dealer has several 2021 RAM 1500 Limited's I am interested in. Loaded with split tailgate (no RAM boxes which I don't want). MSRP is close to $73K and they are willing to sell either one for $63K. Trying to get them closer to $60K but the remaining 2020's aren't helping my situation. They offered me $48K for my truck if I leave the Retrax on which I can't use anyway if I get a split gate truck. I paid just over $57K about 2 years ago. Looking at both BLACK and GRANITE with the Night Edition Package...they both are loaded to the max and without Ram Boxes. Trying to decide if it's worth it to do it now? Wait for the 2021 Ford F150 Platinum which stickers at just over $71K? Or wait for the 2022 RAM?

Thoughts anyone?
I feel like some of our reasonings for doing one thing over the other might not match up with yours...buuut I'd wait for 2022 RAM, because of two things...
1. I would hate to jump into a 21 Ford just to find out that RAM gets something new or something highly improved and worthy of upgrading to.
2. Being that your RAM is one year old... You already took the first year depreciation...(this may not matter if your RAM is a lease though). Which means your payments until '22 are going to help counter that depreciation a little for the value-to-amount owed...
Just my thoughts. No reason not to take a quick look at the new F150 either though...

Rexx

Reaction score
If your current truck has no issues, I would personally wait for the 2022 to see if Uconnect 5 is coming out.

While the MFT is awesome and I love having it, I’m not sure there’s enough difference between the ‘19 and the ‘21 to justify the upgrade unless you’re in a financial position where the cost doesn’t really matter to you, in which case, go for it.

Jako

Reaction score
No problems with current Ram - keep it, still under warranty - keep it, $$$ saving - keep it.

Can't predict the future but if manufacturers get back to normal and GMC and Ford have updated models perhaps the deals will be to your advantage. It also gives you the option to build one to your specs.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
IDK that there's enough difference between your 19 and the 21, I'd wait til 22
Only differences are split tailgate and the tech package that provides a rear camera in the CHMSL viewed on the rear view mirror (very nice and a far better view of the rear than the reflective mirror we all have) and the Heads Up Display. Otherwise, same truck, just a few new features.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I feel like some of our reasonings for doing one thing over the other might not match up with yours...buuut I'd wait for 2022 RAM, because of two things...
1. I would hate to jump into a 21 Ford just to find out that RAM gets something new or something highly improved and worthy of upgrading to.
2. Being that your RAM is one year old... You already took the first year depreciation...(this may not matter if your RAM is a lease though). Which means your payments until '22 are going to help counter that depreciation a little for the value-to-amount owed...
Just my thoughts. No reason not to take a quick look at the new F150 either though...
The only thing I think RAM may do is add a fully digital screen in the gauge cluster as FORD has done and the 2022 GMC will have in addition to UConnect 5 and not sure that UC5 will matter much as I use my CarPlay2Air dongle and only use Google Maps anyway (UC5 may have wireless CarPlay built in which would be sweet).

If I get $48K, then after 22 months of ownership, I only lost $9K plus my $1600 investment in my Retrax) which is awesome from a depreciation perspective. That's only $409/month. I never lease and always pay cash for my vehicles unless they offer 0% financing and then I'll use their money versus mine ;)

I LOVE my 19, but VERY disappointed that the leather on top of the dash is starting to "bubble" as I wrote in another thread I started in the INTERIOR section of this forum. The dealer will replace the entire dash, but not sure I really want to go through that😕

I am also VERY tired of the White Pearl paint...first white truck and I greatly miss BLACK, but that Granite color has really gotten my attention with the NIGHT Package...BEAUTIFUL!!!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Thoughts anyone?
Having seen your posts online over the last couple of years, I would wait and see.

I am too ready to swap in the next few months since I don’t keep my vehicles more than three years, and with the impeding 2022s coming out next year, as well as the new F150s, I will wait. I’d never upgrade to a 2021 at this juncture, since Uconnec 4 will get left out twisting in the wind when Uconnect 5 comes out. They neglect it now as it is, and it’s their production unit. Imagine what will happen when the new model comes out.

I did drive the 2021 F150 platinum at an event last month (just a couple of 5 min drives) and now I want to test them out some more. I was pleasantly surprised, and believe they will be a contender for me.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion and mine alone. Anyone’s welcome to disagree with me. ;)

Cheers,

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Having seen your posts online over the last couple of years, I would wait and see.

I am too ready to swap in the next few months since I don’t keep my vehicles more than three years, and with the impeding 2022s coming out next year, as well as the new F150s, I will wait. I’d never upgrade to a 2021 at this juncture, since Uconnec 4 will get left out twisting in the wind when Uconnect 5 comes out. They neglect it now as it is, and it’s their production unit. Imagine what will happen when the new model comes out.

I did drive the 2021 F150 platinum at an event last month (just a couple of 5 min drives) and now I want to test them out some more. I was pleasantly surprised, and believe they will be a contender for me.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion and mine alone. Anyone’s welcome to disagree with me. ;)

Cheers,
Thanks @Neurobit ...I always enjoy your responses and don't at all disagree. I do get caught up in the emotion of it and the fact that I am MAJORLY PISSED OFF at my dash leather separating on a $70K truck that I have to look at everyday I drive it. I agree on the U4 being sunset and the U5 taking the spotlight. I am more itching for a dark color and some new tech (LOVE the Night Edition and won't buy another RAM without it). I must say that the fully digital and configurable dash in the F150 has me stoked, along with several other items they have done. FORD really did knock this one out of the park and thanks to RAM for forcing their hand and their truck interiors have sucked just like GM for way too long. What's driving me is the fact that I can get $48K for my 2019 which is crazy. If I keep her until the summer-fall of 2021, and then trade, I may only get $40-$42K.

The "right" thing to do is wait...I just need to keep taking my medication and quell the massive itch from my truckbuyingitis disease which is incurable :p

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks @Neurobit ...I always enjoy your responses and don't at all disagree. I do get caught up in the emotion of it and the fact that I am MAJORLY PISSED OFF at my dash leather separating on a $70K truck that I have to look at everyday I drive it. I agree on the U4 being sunset and the U5 taking the spotlight. I am more itching for a dark color and some new tech (LOVE the Night Edition and won't buy another RAM without it). I must say that the fully digital and configurable dash in the F150 has me stoked, along with several other items they have done. FORD really did knock this one out of the park and thanks to RAM for forcing their hand and their truck interiors have sucked just like GM for way too long. What's driving me is the fact that I can get $48K for my 2019 which is crazy. If I keep her until the summer-fall of 2021, and then trade, I may only get $40-$42K.

The "right" thing to do is wait...I just need to keep taking my medication and quell the massive itch from my truckbuyingitis disease which is incurable :p
Thanks. I drove two F150s. A regular Platinum EB, and a hybrid one. OMG, I knew those engines were quick, but didn’t realize how much, specially the hybrid. Holy crap, made my Hemi feel like my son’s 4 cyl Tacoma.

Anyway, I want my next vehicle to have wireless CarPlay and OTA map updates like UConnect 5 and Sync4 on the new Fords. I also liked the landscape configuration and physical HAVC and seat warmer/cooling on the Ford. Thought the RAM would be fine when I got it, but it can’t replace buttons. Some things just need to be analog, so good on them for keeping them.

I do love my RAM and I have not had major issues, but some do bother me still, like a lackluster AC, MDS driving me insane every time it kicks in, and the paint quality not being up to par with a $60k vehicle. I also love night editions and that would be my choice if I decide to go RAM again, but at this point, the new Fords are going to get a serious consideration.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing I think RAM may do is add a fully digital screen in the gauge cluster as FORD has done and the 2022 GMC will have in addition to UConnect 5 and not sure that UC5 will matter much as I use my CarPlay2Air dongle and only use Google Maps anyway (UC5 may have wireless CarPlay built in which would be sweet).

If I get $48K, then after 22 months of ownership, I only lost $9K plus my $1600 investment in my Retrax) which is awesome from a depreciation perspective. That's only $409/month. I never lease and always pay cash for my vehicles unless they offer 0% financing and then I'll use their money versus mine ;)

I LOVE my 19, but VERY disappointed that the leather on top of the dash is starting to "bubble" as I wrote in another thread I started in the INTERIOR section of this forum. The dealer will replace the entire dash, but not sure I really want to go through that😕

I am also VERY tired of the White Pearl paint...first white truck and I greatly miss BLACK, but that Granite color has really gotten my attention with the NIGHT Package...BEAUTIFUL!!!
All very good points there. Either way...I'd still hold onto what you have until you have a chance to check out the F150. That way you'll be more convinced to stay with Ram lol. I'm not a brand snob but I know how Ford is when it comes to warranty work...and most people on here will 100% agree that they have gotten shady (I used to love Ford too). Who knows...you might see a 2022 Nissan Titan one day and drive home with it lol!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Kind of wishing I waited for the '21 Yukons to come out.

But the fact of the matter is - for features and, almost as important (or MOST IMPORTANT - depending on which way you look at it) VALUE - still can't touch the Ram Truck. A "fully loaded" limited is still nicer and less expensive than it's competitors.

OTOH - the Yukon Denali is also $85K fully loaded (and no dealers here are discounting - in fact, some are marking up the trucks $5K).

There is still no other manufacturer that has the MFT - and despite few other aftermarket accessories work with it - the convenience of it alone makes the Ram worth choosing over other offerings.

Still - I'll probably trade my Ram, when GMC is willing to negotiate on the Yukons (right now they aren't) - because an SUV just works better for my needs (and I needed to get rid of my previous vehicle last year). I can't make the "way more expensive" GMC's numbers work at the moment.

What it comes down to is - GET WHAT YOU WANT. That's all that really matters anyways.

I went around and drove everything, researched and priced out everything again - like I did last year before I bought my Ram. Ram still comes up as the best equipped, most cost-effective truck out there.

Rick

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Kind of wishing I waited for the '21 Yukons to come out.

But the fact of the matter is - for features and, almost as important (or MOST IMPORTANT - depending on which way you look at it) VALUE - still can't touch the Ram Truck. A "fully loaded" limited is still nicer and less expensive than it's competitors.

OTOH - the Yukon Denali is also $85K fully loaded (and no dealers here are discounting - in fact, some are marking up the trucks $5K).

There is still no other manufacturer that has the MFT - and despite few other aftermarket accessories work with it - the convenience of it alone makes the Ram worth choosing over other offerings.

Still - I'll probably trade my Ram, when GMC is willing to negotiate on the Yukons (right now they aren't) - because an SUV just works better for my needs (and I needed to get rid of my previous vehicle last year). I can't make the "way more expensive" GMC's numbers work at the moment.

What it comes down to is - GET WHAT YOU WANT. That's all that really matters anyways.

I went around and drove everything, researched and priced out everything again - like I did last year before I bought my Ram. Ram still comes up as the best equipped, most cost-effective truck out there.

Rick
I have similar thoughts as you...usually something like a Tahoe or Yukon would work better for the family... including the dogs. But I also like having a pickup. Plus $28k for my Ram was waaay better than $40k for a CPO Yukon that's only mid level trim.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I have similar thoughts as you...usually something like a Tahoe or Yukon would work better for the family... including the dogs. But I also like having a pickup. Plus $28k for my Ram was waaay better than $40k for a CPO Yukon that's only mid level trim.

Like I said - coulda/shoulda/woulda - waited another year for the new GM SUV's (or wait another year for the next-gen Honda Pilots to come out -they always served me well).

Don't get me wrong - totally LOVE my Ram. Really (still) the sweetest pickup out there - especially value-wise.

New Yukons (Tahoe's) have independent rear suspension now. With Air Ride - it's really an amazing ride for a full-size SUV.

Supposedly - there will be a Jeep Grand Wagoneer next year - based on the 1500 platform (for upwards of $100K - REALLY - A ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLAR JEEP - come on man). Rumor has the next gen Durango doing likewise. FCA has NOTHING on the incredibly popular full sized SUV class of vehicle - and they know they are MISSING THE BOAT - BIG TIME.

But again - honestly - for ME - pickup doesn't really meet my needs as well as an SUV does. And I will likely be working out a Yukon Denali, when they actually start DEALING on them (likely summer '21). The GMC Denali's are WAY NICER than the Chevy High Country (how do you NOT INCLUDE FOR LIGHTS on a damn truck - or even the OPTION FOR THEM - which means 3rd party, and adding a switch and wiring to make them work - versus the GMC's come WITH THEM).

I just don't get what GM is thinking sometimes. That, and you cannot get a MONRONEY STICKER ANY GM VEHICLE when you're "shopping online", which makes it NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to actually see WHAT'S REALLY IN THE VEHICLE.

At least FCA lets you get the Window Sticker which does wonders when shopping.

Rick

BowDown

Reaction score
Only differences are split tailgate and the tech package that provides a rear camera in the CHMSL viewed on the rear view mirror (very nice and a far better view of the rear than the reflective mirror we all have) and the Heads Up Display. Otherwise, same truck, just a few new features.

I wanted the MFT but couldn't find it. In reality, I wouldn't use it that much but it'd be nice to have. The HUD be of no use to me, I have one in my car and never look at it, useless, the mirror/camera I'd like though but I dont think any of that is worht trading a 19 for. Id wonder whats coming for 22/23

Fatherof3

Reaction score

Thoughts anyone?
I’d wait for the 2022 since this is the first year of a redesign for Ford they might have some bugs to work out . There’s also the possibility of U5 for the 22 Ram and the Tundra is finally supposed to get the next gen in 2022 . The GM twins will probably have a nicer interior as well . It would be awesome to check them all out if you really want to trade yours in .

Users who are viewing this thread