5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a pickup, but...Bronco!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I knew the Bronco was coming soon and I was hoping to buy one but I am disappointed. I really wanted a Bronco like the late 80s, early 90s, not the 60s and 70s.

I was never a fan of that body style. It does look promising though and they are poised to try and take a large bite out of the Jeep market. My understanding is that the 6th gen. Ranger is going to be based off of the Bronco platform and they’re hoping to take a large bite out of the Tacoma market with that. Competition is good, let’s hope they can live up to it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The new Bronco seems really interesting, front and rear solid axles, 7-speed manual with a crawler gear, a "dig" system that locks the rear wheels for high degree turns off-road.

Available in 2 & 4 door with convertible top. Factor in the Ecoboost 4-banger that easily matches the 3.6 Pentastar in the Wrangler & a 2.7L Ecoboost that will have at least 325 hp/400 ft-lbs of torque, should scare the Wrangler to finally up its game.

orange01z28

Reaction score
I love that engine in my wife's Explorer, and everyone I know who's bought a Ranger has been happy

Judging on how Jeeps sell, these should be a hit

Chuck19

Reaction score
15 minutes! I’m actually looking forward to see if they hit a home run or bombed it like when they brought back the Ranger! Also the way Chevrolet bombed when they brought back the blazer or impala! Bar is always high when bringing back an iconic vehicle out of retirement

SD Rebel

Reaction score
15 minutes! I’m actually looking forward to see if they hit a home run or bombed it like when they brought back the Ranger! Also the way Chevrolet bombed when they brought back the blazer or impala! Bar is always high when bringing back an iconic vehicle out of retirement

Well to be honest, the new (old) Ranger is now outselling the Colorado. The only truck that sells more in the mid-sized class is the invincible Tacoma.

I honestly think they hit a home run with the Bronco. It's truck based, solid axles front and rear, 7-speed manual with low crawl gear, dig feature that locks the rear wheels to get higher steering off-road, removable top, etc.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Well to be honest, the new (old) Ranger is now outselling the Colorado. The only truck that sells more in the mid-sized class is the invincible Tacoma.

I honestly think they hit a home run with the Bronco. It's truck based, solid axles front and rear, 7-speed manual with low crawl gear, dig feature that locks the rear wheels to get higher steering off-road, removable top, etc.
Well just because the ranger is selling well doesn’t mean it was brought back well. For them to put such little effort into bringing it back to the point where they just brought the truck to the states that they had been selling in other countries for years was disappointing IMO.

Now for the Bronco i think they hit it out of the park and its going to be a huge competitor for the Jeep Wrangler! All I can say is its about time Wrangler got a little competition and well done FORD!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well just because the ranger is selling well doesn’t mean it was brought back well. For them to put such little effort into bringing it back to the point where they just brought the truck to the states that they had been selling in other countries for years was disappointing IMO.

Now for the Bronco i think they hit it out of the park and its going to be a huge competitor for the Jeep Wrangler! All I can say is its about time Wrangler got a little competition and well done FORD!

Sure, but when most people say flop, it's usually sales flop, which it hasn't been.

Though Ford had no choice, either let Colorado/Canyon take conquest sales because some F150 buyers who wanted something smaller or sell something in the interim as a stop gap. The US Ranger has been pretty well reviewed, not the best but not the worse in class. The next gen Ranger goes on-sale in the next year or so internationally, we will probably get it a year later.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, that would have been a crazy combo. But probably too much torque at 400 ft-lbs.
Yeah, would’ve been cool. I was thinking that the bronco could potentially be the one vehicle I’d trade my rebel in for, but I’ll happily be keeping my rebel now ;)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah, would’ve been cool. I was thinking that the bronco could potentially be the one vehicle I’d trade my rebel in for, but I’ll happily be keeping my rebel now ;)

Yeah, I mean it's impressive so far from what I'm reading.
- Dana 44 solid rear axle, Dana Independent front axle both available electronic Lockers, 7-speed manual with crawl, options package available across all trims with 35" A/T tires and beadlock ready wheels, Bilstein long travel shocks with reservoirs front & rear, mode to change gas pedal to single brake/throttle for crawling, and so much more stuff.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Better recheck. It DOES NOT have a solid front axle.

No, that was erroneous articles before confirmation. It's confirmed it's a Dana independent front axle, however with electronic locking diff. The rear is a Dana 44 solid with multi-link and coil overs.

The only Jeep left without IFS is the Wrangler, there has been talk for a decade that they will make the switch, but something about a solid front is awesome. Though it depends on how well the Bronco utilizes it's setup.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a good start and kudos to Ford for doing this.

Hopefully future year models will address the concerns out of the gate and add more engine options.

Would love to see the 5.0 or 7.3 as an option especially considering the Wrangler 6.4 that was teased.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Hopefully future year models will address the concerns out of the gate and add more engine options.

Would love to see the 5.0 or 7.3 as an option especially considering the Wrangler 6.4 that was teased.
agreed - Ford did a nice job with what they had to work with. Im sure the bronco will feel like it has plenty of power even with the 4 cyl, and its awesome they offered a manual. Now if jeep offers the 6.4L WITH a manual transmission.... id be lining up at the dealer asking them to take my money

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Very excited about this. Looks like a home run for Ford.
Jeep and Toyota should be very concerned...

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's disappointing. The features list reads like a 15 year old Jeep Wrangler. And the only powertrains are the problematic EcoBust engines that have a history of TSB and recall lists a country mile long. Plus, it's IFS which is a major turn-off in the off-road community. What a joke.

The JL Wrangler with the 392 Hemi option is looking like a real possibility in 2021 and that will eat a Bronco alive in performance and popularity with buyers.

The ONLY good thing I can say about the Bronco is that it's going to make Jeeps even better than they already have become.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This.

You can get 3 types of Bronco!
....As long as you don't want a V6 engine larger than 2._ Litres in it.
I personally don't.

I'm glad Ford built it! I'm happy any time consumer demand is met by companies.
BUT, I'm not an Ecoboost fan, the Bronco isn't on my radar. Ford as a company is all in on their small displacement turbocharged engines.
FCA knows they're corning on the market on people who want big V8s - and it's smart to do.

When Ford came out with the Gen2 raptor, they offered that wonderful ecoboost, and only that, because that's all anyone could want right?
On forum after forum, in post after post, the ford faithful that bought in would tell everyone that the V8 is dead because Ford doesn't want to offer a powerful one.
And then the TRX with the hellcat engine is offered.
Now suddenly we hear rumors of a V8 Raptor.

FCA knows there's a desire for the engines Ford has been trying to avoid due to its EPA/CAFE strategy, and it's challenging Ford to offer engines against that branding strategy (The "Ecoobost is all you could ever want" even in a $400,000 Ford GT or a Ford Raptor) to go toe to toe.
I think it's smart to differentiate like that.

Users who are viewing this thread