5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No radio controls on steering wheel???

mooney

Reaction score
Hello, new member and new Ram owner here (2019 2500 Big Horn Cummins). I love the truck but there are a few things that make me smh. At the top of this list is the fact that it doesn't have buttons to control the radio. They have buttons all over the steering wheel to control the transmission, cruise control, and all the menu options on the gauge cluster - but they couldn't put a couple buttons to control the radio?? Even my 2005 Tundra had radio controls... :mad:

I tried searching for a similar thread but all I can find is people griping about the function of their buttons - at least you have some! :LOL: I mean, it doesn't take a lot of effort to reach over and change the station, but it's the little things! ;)

Anyway, I also had the problem of the leather finish peeling off, so I had the steering wheel replaced under warranty and I offered to slip the guy some cash if he "accidentally ordered the wrong one" with the radio control buttons, but he wouldn't budge. Does anyone know if the wiring is in place so that I could achieve this luxury if I got a different steering wheel with the radio buttons?

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello, new member and new Ram owner here (2019 2500 Big Horn Cummins). I love the truck but there are a few things that make me smh. At the top of this list is the fact that it doesn't have buttons to control the radio. They have buttons all over the steering wheel to control the transmission, cruise control, and all the menu options on the gauge cluster - but they couldn't put a couple buttons to control the radio?? Even my 2005 Tundra had radio controls... :mad:

I tried searching for a similar thread but all I can find is people griping about the function of their buttons - at least you have some! :LOL: I mean, it doesn't take a lot of effort to reach over and change the station, but it's the little things! ;)

Anyway, I also had the problem of the leather finish peeling off, so I had the steering wheel replaced under warranty and I offered to slip the guy some cash if he "accidentally ordered the wrong one" with the radio control buttons, but he wouldn't budge. Does anyone know if the wiring is in place so that I could achieve this luxury if I got a different steering wheel with the radio buttons?

Every Dodge/ RAM I’ve owned going back to 2004 has had the steering wheel mounted audio controls on the back of the steering wheel. I thought they were standard on all models now especially leather steering wheels? Are you sure you don’t have them on the back of your steering wheel?

renzo2213

Reaction score
They’re on the back of the steering wheel the right side is volume/source and the left side is forward/backward/preset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Rob5589

I had a bare bones Tradesman rental that had the radio controls on the back side of the wheel.

rah6887

Reaction score
My 17' Ram 2500 Tradesman did not have stereo controls, it had the 5" stereo, I replaced it with the 8.4, and was fixing to add the steering wheel controls (mopar $49), but I decided to trade it in.
So, you can have it added, if you want/need it bad enough.

mooney

Reaction score
Every Dodge/ RAM I’ve owned going back to 2004 has had the steering wheel mounted audio controls on the back of the steering wheel. I thought they were standard on all models now especially leather steering wheels? Are you sure you don’t have them on the back of your steering wheel?
Definitely not there! I feel the back all the time, just to make sure I didn't miss them the first 37 times... :LOL:

mooney

Reaction score
They’re on the back of the steering wheel the right side is volume/source and the left side is forward/backward/preset

I wish that were the case - they're not there...

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If you have the level 1, it should have the controls?
Bigh horn audio..jpg

FailGrenade

Reaction score
I think its still an accessory. Just like A/C. You'd think every vehicle should have it but we have been seeing cars with missing features built that way from factory.

renzo2213

Reaction score
I think its still an accessory. Just like A/C. You'd think every vehicle should have it but we have been seeing cars with missing features built that way from factory.

It’s not, because even the base model v6 2019 classic that I used as a loaner for a couple of days had it. So a 2019 new model should definitely have it

FailGrenade

Reaction score
Ive ran into a could 19's without them. Very rare but they are missing. If I remember correct you can very slightly feel the groove where they would go though. We don't have hardly anyone with 2020 around my area yet.

ljs05e

Reaction score
Has anyone figured this out? I ahve one of the rare missing controls Big Horn editions. I have spoken to the dealership and they said that the upgrade is only for the 2018 models and older. Has anyone found an aftermarket workaround to add the controls? Thanks!

Par38lamp

Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution as well (for my 2020 1500 DT (not DS aka Classic). Tradesman model, uConnect 3 (5" screen).
I added the $145 button/bezel option to my 2016. My steering wheel on the 2020 is a one piece unit.

mchech

Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution as well (for my 2020 1500 DT (not DS aka Classic). Tradesman model, uConnect 3 (5" screen).
I added the $145 button/bezel option to my 2016. My steering wheel on the 2020 is a one piece unit.
I have the same situation. Have you found. solution?

K8spy

Reaction score
Same here, New 2021 Warlock with no audio controls on the back of the steering wheel. Waiting for a call back from Ram customer service. And from the dealership. Strange that every other Warlock on the lot has controls except mine....

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Same here, New 2021 Warlock with no audio controls on the back of the steering wheel. Waiting for a call back from Ram customer service. And from the dealership. Strange that every other Warlock on the lot has controls except mine....
2021 Warlock is still a 4th Gen. So you should be able to use the 4th Gen upgrade kit.

Users who are viewing this thread