5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No ambient lights? No problem, 2 doors down 2 to go

jamesfg

Reaction score
Because I took the first Rebel the dealer had delivered, I got short changed on some options including ambient lighting. After a good 2 hours poking at wires with my multimeter I found what I was looking for. I used one factory LED location, inserted a LED by the interior door handle and upped what the factory put down at the bottom of the door panel. I'll get some evening pix later on.
1 door down......3 to go 20180903_095736.jpg 20180903_100602.jpg 20180903_100812.jpg

Last edited:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. I may be interested in this myself. I bought a Big Horn so the only ambient light is the small one on roof console.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Nice. I may be interested in this myself. I bought a Big Horn so the only ambient light is the small one on roof console.

My Daytona has a bunch in there so I got used to it. Biggest pain is fishing a wire thru the rubber weatherstripping between the door and frame. After that....easy peezy.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because I took the first Rebel the dealer had delivered, I got short changed on some options including ambient lighting. After a good 2 hours poking at wires with my multimeter I found what I was looking for. I used one factory LED location, inserted a LED by the interior door handle and upped what the factory put down at the bottom of the door panel. I'll get some evening pix later on.
1 door down......3 to go View attachment 4157 View attachment 4158 View attachment 4161
I don't think ambient lighting was or will be a Rebel option.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I don't think ambient lighting was or will be a Rebel option.

I gotta agree to disagree as there is a spot on the back of the handle where the LED light should go on all 4 door panels.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I gotta agree to disagree as there is a spot on the back of the handle where the LED light should go on all 4 door panels.
Just like on the upper control arms of my coil suspension Rebel there are nipples for air ride sensors. :unsure:

MAYBE, they just dimple every door panel regardless of the options? I've never seen a Rebel with factory ambient lighting. You're the first.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I like beer but I can be further swayed with a 5th of Jack.

Electronics isn't that hard. Now that I Guinea pigg'd mine it wouldn't be hard for anyone to duplicate what I did.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Electronics isn't that hard. Now that I Guinea pigg'd mine it wouldn't be hard for anyone to duplicate what I did.
My hands are like boxing gloves... I would destroy my door panels and god knows what else. Add the fact that me and wires no likey each other. I'll drown you in Jack if that's all it takes!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Can you tell us what kind of bulbs you used and if there are wires present at each location or did you run those wires back to the wires you multi-metered? If the latter, reveal the wire color / location / connector you interfaced with.

This is something I’d like to do when I get bored if you will. Having an understanding and parts on hand for a rainy day would be nice.

jamesfg

Reaction score
3mm raw led bulbs with resistors to dim it down, for the bottom portion of the door I used a led strip light. Hot glued it on and duct taped it from the backside to the door panel. Also used a resistor to dim it down. Unable to find the light source at the door panel so I grabbed it off the back of the dimmer switch.

th3duke

Reaction score
3mm raw led bulbs with resistors to dim it down, for the bottom portion of the door I used a led strip light. Hot glued it on and duct taped it from the backside to the door panel. Also used a resistor to dim it down. Unable to find the light source at the door panel so I grabbed it off the back of the dimmer switch.

Love it! This would have been an excellent write up for the forum.

How many ohms for your resistors?

jamesfg

Reaction score
Love it! This would have been an excellent write up for the forum.

How many ohms for your resistors?
If anyone wants help, I'll be glad to help 'em out. I might get more in depth when I tackle the other 3 doors. I used these resistors that came with the LEDs and kept monkeying with the amount of resistors to use to get to what I deemed an appropriate light output. Yeah I could go to the local electronics store and get one resistor but I'll make do with what they provided. 20180902_165444.jpg

th3duke

Reaction score
If anyone wants help, I'll be glad to help 'em out. I might get more in depth when I tackle the other 3 doors. I used these resistors that came with the LEDs and kept monkeying with the amount of resistors to use to get to what I deemed an appropriate light output. Yeah I could go to the local electronics store and get one resistor but I'll make do with what they provided. View attachment 8074
I still can't believe that they removed the ambient lighting in the Rebel trim - it's completely ridiculous. Having known this, I would have purchased our Canadian sport model ( or Laramie sport trim). Although I really don't like 20" + rims.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I still can't believe that they removed the ambient lighting in the Rebel trim - it's completely ridiculous. Having known this, I would have purchased our Canadian sport model ( or Laramie sport trim). Although I really don't like 20" + rims.

It just gives me the opportunity to make it better than what they would'a put in.

Users who are viewing this thread