5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nitto recon grappler?

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Anyone have Nitto Recon Grapplers on their Ram? If so, please share you experience with them. Would you buy again? How's that road noise in comparison to stock tires or any other aftermarket tires you've run? How has snow/ice traction been?

Thanks in advance. I searched custom offsets and wasn't able to find any pics with there tires, only ones including ridge grapplers or terra grappler G2s. From my research, they are offered in an "SL" size so I'd be able to go with a 305/55/20 without having to go LT (I believe these tires are low 50s which isn't bad at all). The tires are physically appealing (offer two types of sidewall) while appearing to be relatively quiet (from any videos I've watched or reviews I've read). Any help is appreciated!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Search for the word "recon" and you'll find quite a few members that have them. You might have to send them a PM to get their opinion if they didn't already post it.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Search for the word "recon" and you'll find quite a few members that have them. You might have to send them a PM to get their opinion if they didn't already post it.
Guess it didn't like me searching for the full name of the tire vice only using "recon." There were a few threads but not really anything earth shattering information wise. Tires do look great (for folks who posted pics of them on their truck).

TyH2009

Reaction score
I have them, but only have had them a few weeks and so far I like them. I hear a bit of tire noise, but with the radio on a moderate volume it’s not bad. Even with it off and the windows down it’s not bad at all. I’m curious how they’ll perform in the winter with snow.

RamSteel

Reaction score
I have them and love them. I've had a ton of Ridge Grapplers and BG KO2s, etc., and wanted something different this time. No regrets about their performance, noise, and looks.

Attachments

• 20220725_132048 (2).jpg
    20220725_132048 (2).jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 307

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
I have them, but only have had them a few weeks and so far I like them. I hear a bit of tire noise, but with the radio on a moderate volume it’s not bad. Even with it off and the windows down it’s not bad at all. I’m curious how they’ll perform in the winter with snow.
I get snow where in at in the Midwest so in curious too. Although anything must be better than the stock Bridgestones 😂

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Small world; I'm about 30 miles east of STL by Scott AFB. Farmers almanac is calling for a brutal winter so might buck the trend of average snowfall this year.

utlong31

Reaction score
Not trying to highjack this thread but seems like a good spot for my question instead of starting a new thread.
I put a set of Nitto Recon Grapplers on my truck after reading a lot about them and the lack of noise. Well on the highway they have some noise but not bad enough to not like them although I do a lot of dirt road driving and today was my first day with them off road and it sounds like a low bass booming in my ears and it’s really annoying. Anyone else have any experience with this. Wondering if they will break in some or if it’s the tires at all. Brand new 2022 Laramie. 295-65-R20
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anything made by ****to is going to generally have poor performance in bad weather. Their rubber compounds are very hard which is how they try to get decent wear out of them, but that comes at the sacrifice of traction. Some guys say they don't mind them and I guess that's because they've never really had a great all-terrain or mud-terrain tire before. This brand is also known to be hard to balance. Generally the pricing is nuts on them as well.

Having said that, if there is anything good to say about ****to tires it is that they do offer the sizes and load ratings that half-ton truck guys want, and there are almost no other companies that do.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anything made by ****to is going to generally have poor performance in bad weather. Their rubber compounds are very hard which is how they try to get decent wear out of them, but that comes at the sacrifice of traction. Some guys say they don't mind them and I guess that's because they've never really had a great all-terrain or mud-terrain tire before. This brand is also known to be hard to balance. Generally the pricing is nuts on them as well.

Having said that, if there is anything good to say about ****to tires it is that they do offer the sizes and load ratings that half-ton truck guys want, and there are almost no other companies that do.

I've been running Ridge Grapplers on my trucks for the last 4 years. We get 70-90" of snow per year and I spend a lot of time in the woods on dirt roads. They are better than BFG Trail Terrains and on par with the Toyo AT's on dirt and snow. They aren't as good as Blizzak's on snow, but they aren't so far off that I'm looking for a second set of winter tires.

Yes, they offer more non-XL tire sizes than most, but that was only part of the reason I bought them.

Reactions: @JC

Jdhender41

Reaction score
I've had them on my truck for a year now and have zero complaints. Road noise has been about the same as the Ridge Grapplers that I ran on a previous truck. They have wore great with zero issues there. As far as snow performance goes we do not get a ton of it where I live but they performed good in what we got.

Josh24

Reaction score
I have them and love them. I've had a ton of Ridge Grapplers and BG KO2s, etc., and wanted something different this time. No regrets about their performance, noise, and looks.

I was looking at this same size (305/55/22) to throw on my limited with a leveling Kit. Do the really measure in at 35.2 in height per the specs? Did you have any issues with fitment or is your truck lifted?

Ryno

Reaction score
I've been running Nitto on every truck I've owned for the last 15 years or so. They handle everything I've thrown at them, and I can't see myself buying a different brand. Never had a balancing issue either.

RamSteel

Reaction score
I was looking at this same size (305/55/22) to throw on my limited with a leveling Kit. Do the really measure in at 35.2 in height per the specs? Did you have any issues with fitment or is your truck lifted?

At full lock, they were just hitting the inner edge of a splash guard that I trimmed back. I have no level, lift, etc. They are fine and I am waiting on Eibach leveling springs that have been back ordered for 10 years (ok, five months).

Josh24

Reaction score
At full lock, they were just hitting the inner edge of a splash guard that I trimmed back. I have no level, lift, etc. They are fine and I am waiting on Eibach leveling springs that have been back ordered for 10 years (ok, five months).

Thanks for the detail. That’s awesome only minimal rubbing without a level. Got any pictures of these on the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread