5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to RAM

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Morning everyone.
Was googling to see what was out there as I wait 8 weeks for my ride to be built.

I am in the Midwest (Nebraska to be more specific).
I've owned so many vehicles that my signature block would get banned. (some of my faves were : 99 Mustang Cobra with 11.1:1 5.4 Triton block / 04 Silverado 2500 HD SuperCharged / 2016 Hemi Durango R/T (I love this one! -- still have it but applying trade in for the new ride).)

I have been eyeing (drooling / wanting) that REBEL since I first saw it last year. However, since I do not get off-road much anymore, I just decided to test drive one (ok a few times) and pay off my Durango. My local dealer made me an offer I really had to beat my head against the wall over and over until they threw in a couple cherries.

I am disappointed with the rear seats of the 2019 RAM (as compared to my 2004 Silverado) and how they do not fold down to create a table, etc.

Here is what I ordered and wait and drive the heck outta my Durango until it arrives:
(only going to list the packages and not the package contents)

- 2019 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
- 5.7 HEMI eTorque (I hope the POWER breaks in after the 1200 mile mark like my Durango did!)
- 3.21 axle ratio (highway travel) -- eTorque will help with off-the-line "thrust"
- 4-corner air suspension ('cuz it is awesome to raise/lower the ride height!)
- 33-gal fuel tank (for extra highway travel)
- engine block heater (cuz it will sit outside mostly until I get my garage cleared out -- 3 vehicles currently horde there)
- Level 2 Equip Group
- Protection Group (to make it ALMOST like the REBEL)
- Sport Appearance Package (to make me think I got a REBEL)
- Adv'd Safety Group (just cuz it is geewiz and has a lot of stuff my Durango has)
- Bed Utility Group (why not)
- Granite Crystal Metallic (thus the username Diamondback -- it was that or "Divine Dreams" LOL)
- 20" Premium wheels (I didn't notice they offered the 22" or else I would have grabbed them if the style was nicer looking)
- Power Running Boards (that FLOORED me! I was like, heck yeah! they tuck away to 4x4 and deploy when you need to enter/exit) - just don't get high-centered on a rock!
- Tri-fold Tonneau cover (just left message with my salesman if he needs to leave that off due to the RAM BOX, I can get an aftermarket one later).
- Leather-trimmed Bucket seats (feel snugger than my Durango's and almost as pretty with the stitching)
- uConnect 8.4 NAV (it is what I currently have in my Durango - I liked the 12" system, but I was afraid it'd be too distracting when trying to drive -- you learn muscle-memory for knobs)
- Panoramic Sunroof -- I wanted this in the REBEL, but did not want the CREW CAB (so I compromised anyways)
- Rear Under-Seat storage (umm .. complaint #2 .. really? what can I actually store there besides maybe the owner's manuals? scroll up to read about my Silverado) - I do like the side floor storage though!!
- Weathertech RAM Rubber floor mats (a must have in the Midwest!)

Tim N

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(after thought)
I really wanted that new tailgate as well, but it wasn't on the "LIST" .. I could ask the dealer to see if they can add it for me..

Tim N

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
(after thought)
I really wanted that new tailgate as well, but it wasn't on the "LIST" .. I could ask the dealer to see if they can add it for me..

Tim N

Congrats on the order. I’m sure you will love it. Lots of great rebates right now it seems so make sure the dealer applies all of them. You should get the ones available now locked in and if there are better ones when it is delivered you should get those. Write them all down so you are sure to get them. After you take delivery you can try to get this extra rebate below but only if you have a non FCA vehicle in your house, the dodge you traded won’t count.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you!
The salesman I have been working with gave me a printout and did also mention what you said regarding I can't LOSE any rebates between now and when it is delivered, but I can GAIN any others :)

I may call him to change to the 22's now that I see others' rides on here!!

Tim N

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(after thought)

Tim N

Congratulations on the upcoming new truck, sounds like it will be a beaut'

I sure don't want to burst your bubble, but I recall seeing somewhere in the last six months or so that the upcoming Multifunction Tailgate can't be retrofit, so don't count on that one. Also, the eTorque will NOT give you a large, noticeable amount of thrust off the line compared to the regular 5.7 L Hemi - it's barely noticeable. The purpose and design of eTorque is to (a) improve fuel economy with its smooth stop/start system, and (b) smooth out transmission shifts during normal driving.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming new truck, sounds like it will be a beaut'

I sure don't want to burst your bubble, but I recall seeing somewhere in the last six months or so that the upcoming Multifunction Tailgate can't be retrofit, so don't count on that one. Also, the eTorque will NOT give you a large, noticeable amount of thrust off the line compared to the regular 5.7 L Hemi - it's barely noticeable. The purpose and design of eTorque is to (a) improve fuel economy with its smooth stop/start system, and (b) smooth out transmission shifts during normal driving.

Figures .. LOL ..

I don't mind SHIFTS .. I've used programmers for most of my rides to give me that SNAP.

Both HEMI's I test drove were similar. The eTorque gave me that throttle response I liked but scared the cr@p outta me when we sat at a stoplight and the engine died. I was like WHAT? But it was a smooth transition. Both vehicles had 7 or 8 miles on them and I remember my Durango kicked in around 1200 miles. I'm sure if I had test drove either after their break-ins, I may have chosen the standard HEMI. I just don't know at this point.

I debated on the rear-axle ratio but thought the eTorque would help. I will still keep as-is and see how I like it. I know I loved the Durango off the line .. in fact, we had a Track Day here a couple years ago and a Local Deputy Driving Instructor took it out on the course. He liked it so much, that the department ended up purchasing 8 or so their next round (and they tend to be Ford Turbo / Chevy Tahoe). I really want to keep it, but, I miss my truck. I havn't had time to fandangle with the Silverado to get it back to 100% so I'll just sell that locally - someone will grab it since we have had all the flooding and they would need a truck.

Tim N

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Figures .. LOL ..

I don't mind SHIFTS .. I've used programmers for most of my rides to give me that SNAP.

Both HEMI's I test drove were similar. The eTorque gave me that throttle response I liked but scared the cr@p outta me when we sat at a stoplight and the engine died. I was like WHAT? But it was a smooth transition. Both vehicles had 7 or 8 miles on them and I remember my Durango kicked in around 1200 miles. I'm sure if I had test drove either after their break-ins, I may have chosen the standard HEMI. I just don't know at this point.

I debated on the rear-axle ratio but thought the eTorque would help. I will still keep as-is and see how I like it. I know I loved the Durango off the line .. in fact, we had a Track Day here a couple years ago and a Local Deputy Driving Instructor took it out on the course. He liked it so much, that the department ended up purchasing 8 or so their next round (and they tend to be Ford Turbo / Chevy Tahoe). I really want to keep it, but, I miss my truck. I havn't had time to fandangle with the Silverado to get it back to 100% so I'll just sell that locally - someone will grab it since we have had all the flooding and they would need a truck.

Tim N

I will order mine much like you ordered yours, including eTorque and 3.21 rear axle. I have been waiting to order for the new tailgate.

I was also waiting for 6'4" bed with Ram Box option, but 6'4" Ram Box will not happen for another year or two in the 1500, if at all. Some speculate that 6'4" Ram Box will return when they introduce the true 5th gen Heavy Duty Rams (2500 & 3500) in a couple of years, and if so, the 6'4" Ram Box should also then be an option on the 1500. But that's all speculation, and I have it on very good authority that the 1500 will not have 6'4" Ram Box for at least two years, if ever.

You'll get used to the eTorque's auto stop/start. Unless it really bothers you, just let it operate in the default automatic mode - it does save fuel over the long run, and you already paid extra $$ for the eTorque, so might as well let it do its thing. Some guys shut off auto stop/start more as a political statement than for practical reasons. The Ram engineers did a fantastic job in designing the eTorque, auto stop/start, and MDS cylinder shutdown systems to be as smooth an seamless as possible, IMO they deserve a chance to show they are good systems and do save some fuel.

Happy trucking!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll get used to the eTorque's auto stop/start. Unless it really bothers you, just let it operate in the default automatic mode - it does save fuel over the long run, and you already paid extra $$ for the eTorque, so might as well let it do its thing. Some guys shut off auto stop/start more as a political statement than for practical reasons. The Ram engineers did a fantastic job in designing the eTorque, auto stop/start, and MDS cylinder shutdown systems to be as smooth an seamless as possible, IMO they deserve a chance to show they are good systems and do save some fuel.

I did watch a few videos from the engineers after my eTorque experience .. I will definitely use it in the city! The salesman forgot to "warn" me about it before it happened .. LOL!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Tim! Congrats on the new truck, can’t wait to see some pics when you get it :giggle:

Thank you! Me either .. I was looking at the RED .. but saw the SILVER .. next to the 1320 DEMON was the Granite so I got that one .. reminded me of one of my old trucks I used to have.

Tim N

Last edited:

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! Me either .. I was looking at the RED .. but saw the SILVER .. next to the 1320 DEMON was the Granite so I got that one .. reminded me of one of you old trucks I used to have.

Tim N
I got the Blue Streak Ram since I also have a blue Charger. The Granite looks great with the sport package. Going to be a gorgeous ride!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the Blue Streak Ram since I also have a blue Charger. The Granite looks great with the sport package. Going to be a gorgeous ride!

I looked at the BLUE but they didn't have a 1500 in the color .. just other stuff (Jeep, some weird boxy thing, and a Charger) .. I didn't know what it looked like until I jump on here and started seeing rides .. I was like oooooooo prrretttyyyy!! LOL

Tim N

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
soooo, just got this back again from the dealer ::

"at the moment we are unable to order the sunroof with the eTorque option. We can order it with the standard Hemi if you want us to go ahead and move forward with that? "

I really wanted that eTorque .. and I know the regular Hemi setup will not be as fun as my current R/T .. BUT
I can order multiple aftermarket superchargers and put them on over a weekend.

Suggestions?

If I keep the stock 3.21 axles, and 33 gal tank -- do you daily drivers think I can get 500 miles out of the tank? That is what my R/T gets when I go home to visit near Chicago.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get at least 400 with etorque, 3.21, and the small tank. I keep auto start deactivated about half the time. Etorque can’t possibly make more than low single digit mpg improvements.

I just don’t think ET is that much a game changer, at least not this generation. I could take it or leave it. If you want the range, the tank will matter more.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so I called and told them since they can't get eTorque with all my other options ..

Hemi non-eTorque .. will be here in 6 weeks ..
(EDIT: waiting for confirmation number .. but should be here between JUL 24 & AUG 7)

I'll more than likely end up supercharging it later on :'(

Tim N

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$67,080 Priced
subtract $1250 since I won't be getting eTorque
$30,000 allowances
$19,000 owed on 2016 Durango R/T
=====
$54,830

Other incentives claimed at time of delivery .. Can't lose those I have now but can gain any between now and then.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Updated pre-order sheet since eTorque is not available to pre-order:

If a Limited and a Rebel had a baby, it would be my Laramie Sport 4x4

5.7 HEMI (non-eTorque)
3.21: 1 Axles
4-corner Air Suspension
33-gal fuel tank
Engine Block Heater
Level 2 Equip Group
Protection Group
Sport Appearance Package
Advanced Safety Group
Bed Utility Group
Granite Crystal Metallic
20" Premium Painted Wheels
Power Running Boards
RamBox Cargo Management System
Tri-Fold Tonneau cover (may sell this and go aftermarket)
Rear Wheelhouse Liners
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
uConnect 8.4 NAV
Panoramic Sunroof
Rear Under-seat Compartment storage (may sell this and build my own)
WeatherTech Mats
Net $64,400

Default images from prebuild

MODS TO COME:
Functional Sport Hood for CAI
CAI
Protective Vinyl Film on certain paint areas to protect against rocks, etc.
Rough Country Dual 6" LED Grill Kit
Rough Country 20" LED install (have it on another vehicle currently)
Supercharger (not sure if I want Procharger or a roots style just yet)

Attachments

• 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi.pdf
    447 KB · Views: 3

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice looking, wspecially the ram boxes and the trifold.
I get well over 400 with the small tank and no e torque, so the 33 should easily net you 500. I mean 33 x 18 = 594

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice looking, wspecially the ram boxes and the trifold.
I get well over 400 with the small tank and no e torque, so the 33 should easily net you 500. I mean 33 x 18 = 594

Thank you for the fuel info!
My goal was to get as close to 500 as possible (I mean at least that much) for when I visit relatives back in Indiana. Another reason I kept the 3.21:1 I won't get towing much hardly ever, so I wasn't worried about off-the-line (since I can't get the eTorque now).

I know my Silverado 2500HD only got 11 (city & hwy) and took 3 fill-ups .. i was like NO F'in WAY!! So I got a programmer and am getting 18-21 now depending on the headwinds LOL

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So it took 2 weeks for the dealer to get my order placed ..
and I had to remove eTorque to get that done ..
evidently, the order was submitted last Thursday .. I'm STILL trying to get the order number.
My salesman talks to his GM who talks to their 'vendor' ..

how long did it take others to get their information?

Users who are viewing this thread