5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New USPS Vans Get Worse Fuel Economy Than A Ram TRX

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's pretty low, but I'm assuming that fuel economy is based on the very slow driving and stopping constantly to deliver mail and not some sort of normal civilian drive cycle. I can probably get a 30 mpg economy car to drop that low if I drove it that way.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Funny how these stories make their way around. This article hit the TRX forum earlier today. And my response was similar:
Is the fuel economy reported the same way for the purpose of the USPS vehicle? That is, "city and highway" in perfect conditions? Or is their fuel economy rating based on carrying 1,000 lbs of mail and stopping every 10 seconds at a mailbox?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s settled… USPS needs to get a fleet of TRX’s.
Lol - speaking from experience, it would be a terrible idea. Fuel economy is one thing, but pulling up to a mailbox with these flared fenders would suck big time. Using a drive-thru ATM requires sticking half my body out the window because the wheels are scraping the curb and I still can’t reach the buttons

Users who are viewing this thread