5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck question. Speaker noise when first open door normal?

mkling

Reaction score
Hey guys. Finally got my new truck little over a week ago. Pretty happy with it so far but noticed one minor thing. When first opening the door I hear a little crackle or pop in the speaker system. Kind of like clicking on when the computer and dash wake up. Doesn’t do it if the dash and stuff is already lit up and opening the doors.
Is this normal and just part of the system waking up or something I should be having the dealer look into?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. Finally got my new truck little over a week ago. Pretty happy with it so far but noticed one minor thing. When first opening the door I hear a little crackle or pop in the speaker system. Kind of like clicking on when the computer and dash wake up. Doesn’t do it if the dash and stuff is already lit up and opening the doors.
Is this normal and just part of the system waking up or something I should be having the dealer look into?
does it on mine
I believe it is the truck looking for the fob

shannan

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 1500 is doing the samething when we open the doors. The popping sound is annoying. Two times now we have had to add our favorite channels back to our preset stations because we keep losing the channels. The screen on the radio has gone black and none of the functions would work on the steering wheel to control the radio, or Bluetooth. I had to contact my salesman and he told me how to do a hard reset on the stereo. He told me to hold the power button down for 10 seconds and it should reset and the screen will come back on. He said we might need to update the radio software by taking it to a local dealership to upgrade the system. (We bought our truck out of state from where we live). We have only had this truck a month now and have 1,500 miles on it.
I'm getting very annoyed with this truck as is my husband. I know we are tired of having to reprogram the preset stations and having to do hard resets. Brand new vehicles should not have these problems. I know it's not looking for the key fob because the fob is in the truck and this had happened even while driving down the road. Anyone having the same problems?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never heard such a sound.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine makes that sound, but I don’t have any problems with losing presets. I’ve always assumed that this was the ANC turning on, because it comes from the speakers regardless of whether the volume is turned on or off.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And since we are talking about it, I just heard the little speaker pop sound again after I turned the truck off (maybe 60 seconds later?). To me, it feels like the ANC turning off.

mkling

Reaction score
I’m thinking it is the ANC also. Oh well. I’m not bothered by it if it’s normal. Everything else seems perfect so far.

tech97elec

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 1500 is doing the samething when we open the doors. The popping sound is annoying. Two times now we have had to add our favorite channels back to our preset stations because we keep losing the channels. The screen on the radio has gone black and none of the functions would work on the steering wheel to control the radio, or Bluetooth. I had to contact my salesman and he told me how to do a hard reset on the stereo. He told me to hold the power button down for 10 seconds and it should reset and the screen will come back on. He said we might need to update the radio software by taking it to a local dealership to upgrade the system. (We bought our truck out of state from where we live). We have only had this truck a month now and have 1,500 miles on it.
I'm getting very annoyed with this truck as is my husband. I know we are tired of having to reprogram the preset stations and having to do hard resets. Brand new vehicles should not have these problems. I know it's not looking for the key fob because the fob is in the truck and this had happened even while driving down the road. Anyone having the same problems?
Having similar issues as well with that pita uconnect.

Yes, speaker POPS whenever open a door, annoying. Happens even with ign, acc off. I thought it may be the noise cancelling system in the speaker, but for what reason????

I was wondering if anyone had this issue as well. Stupid if you ask me, never want a vehicle talking to me in any language. Capiche
Same here. Very annoying. Happens whenever a door is opened, even w truck turned off. Pops in the speaker nearest the door. My guess is noise cancelling system electric farting.

And.... that uconnect system is junk. All kinds of issues with blank screen, presets, defaults to FM every restart, on and on and on. Blind spot monitoring in mirrors works AFTER i pass a vehicle!

Im in the electronics field and just shake my head with the amount of "bugs" in this $70k limited.

Wire4money

Reaction score
Mine was losing presets and blank screen, too. The dealer reflashed it, and has been perfect since August. It does pop when opening doors, though.

tech97elec

Reaction score
Mine was losing presets and blank screen, too. The dealer reflashed it, and has been perfect since August. It does pop when opening doors, though.
Sure hoping uconnect gets straight on mine, very annoying and dangerous. One reason for prests and personal pages is to make it "easy" when driving so you dont have to go through menus or get distracted

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not ANC specifically, since I don’t have anc. It’s just a deliberately implemented sound to indicate when all the modules on the bus have woken up or fallen asleep. So, it’s not some type of defect or issue, and has no effect on anything else.

tech97elec

Reaction score
It’s not ANC specifically, since I don’t have anc. It’s just a deliberately implemented sound to indicate when all the modules on the bus have woken up or fallen asleep. So, it’s not some type of defect or issue, and has no effect on anything else.
Ok. Interesting, was a guess.

The speaker pop is basically DC being fed to an audio speaker. Never good and certainly not necessary. First vehicle ive ever had that "popped" every time a door is opened. Wonder if its purposely done? Doubt it.

tech97elec

Reaction score
Lol, well… how do you think speakers play music?

As indicated in my previous post, yes, it is purposely implemented.
Maybe, but makes no sense from an owners perspective. Owned lots of vehicles in my years, one other with noise cancel tech, and it never made that "pop" every time door opens w ign off. Ram yes, Benz no.

I own an AV installation company and that type of popping is just lazy circuit or software design and have fixed this in my own installs using a muting circuit to prevent the amp from "seeing" noise transients on the line level inputs while power comes online with rest of the system.

Its avoidable for sure, but has to be built into the system.

Cheers!

allharley

Reaction score
Picked up my 2022 RAM Rebel right before Christmas. I noticed this bass pop in the speakers every time the doors are opend or closed. Even when I push the accessories button. It's not real loud but it is really annoying, since I know this is not normal for any vehicle. Makes me think there is a short and my truck may go up in Flames one day in my garage.
I also have an issue when filling with gas. It fills to 7/8 of a tank and acts as if it is full. Come to find out if I sit at the pump and keep pumping and stopping until the foam reteats down the filler tube, I can get another 6 or so gallons in it. Only then will it read full.
It's going back to the dealership for a new filler tube and to have the speaker noise looked at.
In addition, we took the truck for a 75 mile ride the other day on all interstate. Had cruise control on 90% of the time at between 60 and 70 mph. We only got 16.3 mpg. Not even close to its rating. I get about 13 in the city.

Over $60,000 for a truck, this is ********!

Attachments

• 20221227_160215.jpg
    20221227_160215.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221229_183316.jpg
    20221229_183316.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221229_183323.jpg
    20221229_183323.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 20

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked up my 2022 RAM Rebel right before Christmas. I noticed this bass pop in the speakers every time the doors are opend or closed. Even when I push the accessories button. It's not real loud but it is really annoying, since I know this is not normal for any vehicle. Makes me think there is a short and my truck may go up in Flames one day in my garage.
I also have an issue when filling with gas. It fills to 7/8 of a tank and acts as if it is full. Come to find out if I sit at the pump and keep pumping and stopping until the foam reteats down the filler tube, I can get another 6 or so gallons in it. Only then will it read full.
It's going back to the dealership for a new filler tube and to have the speaker noise looked at.
In addition, we took the truck for a 75 mile ride the other day on all interstate. Had cruise control on 90% of the time at between 60 and 70 mph. We only got 16.3 mpg. Not even close to its rating. I get about 13 in the city.

Your mileage seems normal for a Rebel.

tech97elec

Reaction score

Let me know what they say about the speaker pop, believe all of them do it w the HK 19 Speaker system. Its annoying and definitely not right. I forgot to ask them about popping when i was at dealer last week. They updated the BCM and one more item, not in front of me now.

As far as fuel mileage goes, should get better once broken in. Mine did.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No problems here. Never heard this in my truck.

Curious if this is only with certain stereos? I have the Alpine system for reference.

Last edited:

Big Jim Swade

Reaction score
I got my 22 BH in July and it's made the pop noise from the speakers when you open the door since the first daly. I was going to ask about it when I bring it in for the tailgate recall. I've never lost any settings in my radio that others have mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread