5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to the forum, driving a 2019 v6 e-torque, mpg clarification

Clean19

Reaction score
What's up 5GR. I decided to join and post to provide some clarification on this truck's engine. I really struggled with the configuration decisions when purchasing this truck, and many people ( including on this forum ) made comments about the MPG difference between the Hemi & Pentastar being minuscule. Even the GSM of the dealership suggested the trade value of the truck 3-4 years from now would more than exceed the fuel savings during average ownership. Ultimately I chose the color and packages I wanted, and let the engine choice be determined by the former. I had to have the LED headlights, Level 2 Equipment, and it pretty much had to be white ( I'd have ordered the blacked out crew edition but couldn't find one in the entire state with LED's ). I paid $37,500 for the truck, and they even gave me the 20" black wheels for free, since they were going to lift the blacked out unit anyway. ANYWAY, the point of this post was to share about my MPG experience now that I have 2,000 miles on the truck. I have hand calculated over 4 consecutive tanks >21 mpg in my v6 e-torque. I have a long commute to work, and though the power is absolutely embarrassing and it is difficult to maintain speed on the highway, it better suits my needs. Looking at fuelly, I do not believe I'd have gotten any better than 14-15 mpg in the HEMI. The power and sound might have made me forget a little.. but who knows!

Thanks for reading, would love to hear what everyone else is getting. Picture attached 26239

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In comparison, Ford's 2.7 Ecoboost is a great entry level / budget conscious engine. Just wish this one had a little more juice is all. Cant have every option and the lowest price possible. This is where I chose to give.

The 2.7 is an upgrade; their entry level is a NA v6 as well. They do have more engine choices all around though.

Bigtone

Reaction score
What's up 5GR. I decided to join and post to provide some clarification on this truck's engine. I really struggled with the configuration decisions when purchasing this truck, and many people ( including on this forum ) made comments about the MPG difference between the Hemi & Pentastar being minuscule. Even the GSM of the dealership suggested the trade value of the truck 3-4 years from now would more than exceed the fuel savings during average ownership. Ultimately I chose the color and packages I wanted, and let the engine choice be determined by the former. I had to have the LED headlights, Level 2 Equipment, and it pretty much had to be white ( I'd have ordered the blacked out crew edition but couldn't find one in the entire state with LED's ). I paid $37,500 for the truck, and they even gave me the 20" black wheels for free, since they were going to lift the blacked out unit anyway. ANYWAY, the point of this post was to share about my MPG experience now that I have 2,000 miles on the truck. I have hand calculated over 4 consecutive tanks >21 mpg in my v6 e-torque. I have a long commute to work, and though the power is absolutely embarrassing and it is difficult to maintain speed on the highway, it better suits my needs. Looking at fuelly, I do not believe I'd have gotten any better than 14-15 mpg in the HEMI. The power and sound might have made me forget a little.. but who knows!

Thanks for reading, would love to hear what everyone else is getting. Picture attached View attachment 26239
Beautiful truck! Is the power from the V6 really that bad on the highway? I test drove one but couldn't get it up over 65 in the traffic I was in, but I had a feeling it may be strained from 70 to 80 mph. Ultimately I chose the hemi because of this. Another poster mentioned that his V6 mpg dropped above 70 mph to near what the hemi would get.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeh, I notice you didn’t list the 3:55 rear gear option in your signature so I’m assuming you have the 3.21. As I’ve said several times in this forum, the 3.21 is a lot of gear for the Pentastar to push given its lower torque. I’ve had that gear with the v6 and it needed to downshift (sometimes 2 gears) to accelerate and to maintain speed going over hills/overpasses at interstate speeds. The 3.55 gear really improves these issues but only marginally affects mpg if at all.

My current truck is a 4th gen v6 with the 3.55 and I’ve been very satisfied with its performance. Having said that I will be picking up my new truck next week. I upgraded to the Hemi and 3.92 gears since we now regularly tow a travel trailer.

I will miss the good mileage.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you are happy that’s fine, you are the only one you need to please. The resale issue only applies if you exercise that option. If you intend on keeping this truck for a long time (5+ years) then it should be “ok”. Gas prices may go up again and buyers wanting a light duty occasional use pickup will appreciate your engine and gear combo over a hemi and 3.92’s. None of us can tell.

10 years ago, getting over 20 mpg out of a full sized truck was almost an impossibility. I posted about owning a 1977 Chevy 1 ton with a 400 small block. I got 8-10 mpg and had 190 hp factory. Your truck gets almost 2.5x the mileage and has over 50% more HP, as well as 10% more torque than my old engine.

Just enjoy what you have. Others here wouldn't have bought it due to differing needs/wants, so they bought what they wanted. I’m just thankful that on this Memorial Day weekend, we have the freedom to make the choices we make, thanks to those who died to give us that freedom...

tolh13

Reaction score
Beautiful truck! Is the power from the V6 really that bad on the highway? I test drove one but couldn't get it up over 65 in the traffic I was in, but I had a feeling it may be strained from 70 to 80 mph. Ultimately I chose the hemi because of this. Another poster mentioned that his V6 mpg dropped above 70 mph to near what the hemi would get.
I have a 3.6 with the the 3.55 gears and just towed a 9x5 v-nose trailer thats sits up about 7 ft from the ground with 3500 lbs in it. 1st leg of trip no wind 300 miles 16 miles a gal at 73 mph. 2 leg on the way home with 4500 lbs and heavy winds 13.7 mpg at 69 mph.(all Florida and pretty flat) previous trip to Orlando and back 360 miles at 76 mph 23 mpg. it is a much better truck for around town (20.3 mpg avg). then hwy but i was passing people at 80+ with the trailer on. It has enough power unless you and tow heavy stuff up hills or racing.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Tolh13, even if it was flat land thats pretty good for the v6 towing that weight. I’d think the OP would be reassured some. I know that you have the deeper gears but still not bad for him.

Whats the worst case, I bought a 2015 F150 XLT 2.7 supercab. Found out within 4 months I’d made a mistake and should have gotten a Lariat crew. So I sold the truck after 1 year, absorbed the loss (that’s an advantage of working still) and just a month ago “overbought” the Limited. You only live once and mistakes on things can be fixed. All it takes is work...(or a damn good poker hand). Just that much less the kids get as an inheritance...

Clean19

Reaction score
too many to quote, so I'll reply generally. Thanks for the warm welcome and the info on the gears. Never even thought about it. I never got to see the window sticker either. My guess it it does have the 3.21. Any chance the shift points will change when a tune becomes available? in my 2013 Mustang GT, the BAMA tune I had pushed the rpms down to 2k at 20 mph. it was nice!

Clean19

Reaction score
It's not the power per se, but the gearing. Sometimes it will go all the way from 8th to 5th or 6th even at only 65-70 mph. annoying as hell the way it rev hangs.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
A coworker leased a 19 F150 with 2.7 eco boost on the same day I picked up my hemi etorque. I was curious how his 2.7 was doing in mileage compared to my previous 3.5 eco boost F150's. He is averaging 17.5 which is .1 less than what my 3.5 's would get at 17.6. My hemi is getting 21 mpg and I have not changed the first oil yet. I will be getting 22 mpg this summer I believe. Fuel economy is nice, but when it comes WITH the kind of vehicle satisfaction I get from this truck it is all that much sweeter. God I hope my luck holds out on this truck. 9800 miles and loving it.
Thats what I experienced, rated for 23-24 and usually got 20-21 hiway. Anytime I wanted to do anything but coast the boost was activated and mpg suffered. They have great torque at diesel like rpms however the displacement is small so you are boosting more often than not.

Bigtone

Reaction score
It's not the power per se, but the gearing. Sometimes it will go all the way from 8th to 5th or 6th even at only 65-70 mph. annoying as hell the way it rev hangs.
The one I test drove had 3.55 gears. It accelerated from a stop just fine, but at highway speed I felt it always needed to downshift whenever I wanted to accelerate, even lightly. I decided to go with the Hemi again.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The one I test drove had 3.55 gears. It accelerated from a stop just fine, but at highway speed I felt it always needed to downshift whenever I wanted to accelerate, even lightly. I decided to go with the Hemi again.
I back to back tested a Laramie CC 4x with 3.55’s and could tell within a few blocks that there was a noticeable difference in the drivetrains. I’m used to vehicles that can’t get out of their own way and while the V6 wasn't in that league, after having driven the hemi it didn't compare. Too much downshifting to get up to speed etc. I’m a grandpa driver who is happy to see 24+ mpg on the highway at posted limits (65-70) so I don’t race, yet even I could appreciate the difference. I understand the need for mileage but a non-aspirated (turbo’d) six is just slow.

Attachments

• D16DBF3F-7E66-4051-B812-79181FDDD1B2.jpeg
    D16DBF3F-7E66-4051-B812-79181FDDD1B2.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread