5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member from LI-considering trading from 6.7 back to gas

TIGWelder

Reaction score
Hey folks. I've been lurking around and reading up a little on the 5th gen hemi trucks. I currently own a 2015 6.7 Cummins and I am looking to do something I never thought I would do- Go back to a gasser. I LOVE the way my 6.7 drives, the torque it has when towing and how it effortlessly climbs the Catskill and Adirondack mountains loaded with cargo and or a camper but I have just about had enough with it sitting at a dealership getting fixed or getting towed home, MIL, DEF issues, SCR replacements ect. Its only got 48k on it and its been back at a dealer for repairs at least 8 times since I have owned it. My wife no longer trusts it to take our family camping trips. It left us stranded 200 miles away last February when the water pump failed, had to get it towed. Just had the turbo control module replaced, then a week later the NOx sensors. Luckily everything has been under warranty but that is soon expiring.

The wife is pushing me to get something else. As much as I love diesel power, I am convinced the EPA trashed everything there is to love about a Cummins Turbo diesel and Chrysler is completely incapable of creating a functional after treatment system...deleting is not an option. If the next 5 years goes as rough as the last 5, then Ill be looking at another 8k out of pocket in repair bills which is money I can just put toward something newer with some more creature comforts over the SLT I have as well as a fresh warranty.

With all that said here I am learning about Hemi engines, MSRP, invoice prices, dealer discounts, sunroof and windshield leaks, wobbling clanking hubs and a host of new problems to ruin my day. I have always bought used, still might deepening on what I find, but new is on the table as well as my truck should have a decent trade in value left in it. I am really apprehensive about staying with Dodge/Chrysler particularly after my own experience and more-so after reading about many of your's but I really like everything about tucks ergonomics, features and interior setup vs the competitors.
I really only tow a 4k camper during the summer months through the east coast mountains. The boat is a heavy Grady white 22' but I do not have to go far with it or climb hills so the 1500 should handle its 8k lbs fine.

I am sure ill be posting questions as I read and learn more. Thanks for having me

jerryw1000

Reaction score
DEF......and old age vision vs. 8 ft bed dually.......exactly why I'm giving up my '15 Chevy High Country and orderd a 2020 2500 Hemi with the short bed. I needed something more parking lot friendly. And a lot of Chevy diesels have had DEF problems...especially with low mileage drivers like me. And mine was getting close to being out of the 5 year engine warranty so I decided to go back to a gasser. I figure the 6.4 Hemi with the 8 speed and 3.73 rear end will pull anything I need to pull. I already have 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees so this will keep all of my maintenance at one dealersship and ALL under a MaxCare service contract for at least 8 years. I'm ready to trade cars and wives after 8 years anyway.:)

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will add the the 5.7 with eTorque adds the low RPM Torque to get a heavy towed weight moving quickly so I get the full 410 Ft Lb of Torque at around 800 RPM vs ~280 Ft Lb at 800 RPM without eTorque electric assist. The eTorque doesn't get the credit it is due with towing heavy trailers off the line quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread