5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member, 8.4 disappointment/questions.

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
Greetings all,

New member here, picked up my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn a few months ago, and I love it for the most part. I generally get a new truck every 3 years or so and I traded in a 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn.

This is where my complaint starts. I acknowledge that it's my fault for not looking into it closer, but I also, never in a million years, would have assumed that I was taking a step down in technology when getting the same truck, 3 years newer.

On my 2016, the 8.4 uconnect had the ability to be remote started, among other things, using the app on my phone. You could even buy the Nav unlock later if you want.

For the 2019, I'm sure you're aware, none of that is available unless you got the nav model, and you can't even unlock the nav on the new unit. This bothers me to no end that FCA pulled such a move. First world problem, right? I liked remote starting from the app because I have a 1/2 mile walk into work from our parking lot and it was nice to be able to have the truck heater and defrosted before I got there.

Anyway, now my question. Has the aftermarket addressed this yet? I'm struggling finding anything for this unit yet.

Thanks!

Justin

40044375_10216617058800078_4064971402162208768_o.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Greetings all,

New member here, picked up my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn a few months ago, and I love it for the most part. I generally get a new truck every 3 years or so and I traded in a 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn.

This is where my complaint starts. I acknowledge that it's my fault for not looking into it closer, but I also, never in a million years, would have assumed that I was taking a step down in technology when getting the same truck, 3 years newer.

On my 2016, the 8.4 uconnect had the ability to be remote started, among other things, using the app on my phone. You could even buy the Nav unlock later if you want.

For the 2019, I'm sure you're aware, none of that is available unless you got the nav model, and you can't even unlock the nav on the new unit. This bothers me to no end that FCA pulled such a move. First world problem, right? I liked remote starting from the app because I have a 1/2 mile walk into work from our parking lot and it was nice to be able to have the truck heater and defrosted before I got there.

Anyway, now my question. Has the aftermarket addressed this yet? I'm struggling finding anything for this unit yet.

Thanks!

Justin

40044375_10216617058800078_4064971402162208768_o.jpg
Sorry to hear. Bummer for sure. Your truck still looks awesome.

BGRAM

Reaction score
Spoke with a buddy who was close with the development of the 2019 1500, he said that the 12.1 and 8.4 Nav are manufactured by Panasonic while the Non-Nav 8.4 unit is now manufactured by Harman. My guess is they took out some features to add in the Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

With that being said, I had no idea we couldn't do the remote start on the phone with Uconnect, I figured you could, I was about to set mine up this weekend too. Needless to say I will be bringing this up to him!

ncsu92

Reaction score
On a related note, found a place to order the 2019 Ram nav control unit. The guy said it would work to upgrqde the non nav. Is this true? Will it work?

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
On a related note, found a place to order the 2019 Ram nav control unit. The guy said it would work to upgrqde the non nav. Is this true? Will it work?

I'd be interested to know as well. Where can you order the unit?

Spoke with a buddy who was close with the development of the 2019 1500, he said that the 12.1 and 8.4 Nav are manufactured by Panasonic while the Non-Nav 8.4 unit is now manufactured by Harman. My guess is they took out some features to add in the Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

With that being said, I had no idea we couldn't do the remote start on the phone with Uconnect, I figured you could, I was about to set mine up this weekend too. Needless to say I will be bringing this up to him!

Thank you. Yes it was disappointing that they made it so only Nav units could do it, and then made it impossible to activate such features. Android auto is cool and all, which is why I chose not to get a nav unit..., but I'd happily do it over again just to have the remote start by phone back. :)

ncsu92

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know as well. Where can you order the unit?

Thank you. Yes it was disappointing that they made it so only Nav units could do it, and then made it impossible to activate such features. Android auto is cool and all, which is why I chose not to get a nav unit..., but I'd happily do it over again just to have the remote start by phone back. :)

Ebay

c_l_phillips72

Reaction score

Have you found out from anyone if you can replace the Non-Nav with a Nav unit? I would like to do the same.

smiles5619

Reaction score
I've did some research and also in some other posts, with the 8.4 no NAV, in order to put in the 8.4C, You also need the module that goes along with the 8.4c. Told it's around $600.00 for the module alone. Question i havent got answer to is if you buy the module, could you use the non NAV 8.4 screen... hopefully that's the case so you don't have to buy the module and the 8.4c unit

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
With the two units being manufactured by different companies, there ended up being some major differences. One being that the Nav unit requires a different bezel, and it is a full bezel that includes the switches and climate control knobs. However, there is some good news. There is a company called infotainment.com that is working on a solution and hope to release it soon. They have made complete upgrade kits for every touch screen RAM. You can contact them to be placed on a notification list when the upgrades are available. More good news is that they plan on making a 12" upgrade option that is currently unavailable as a factory option on the Big Horn edition. Right now the only way to get the 12" screen is with the Rebel, Limited, or Laramie edition.

porkie

Reaction score
Not sure if this is correct or not but I thought someone posted a while back that you could still access the remote start through Mopar.com once you log in.

Conch007

Reaction score
I've did some research and also in some other posts, with the 8.4 no NAV, in order to put in the 8.4C, You also need the module that goes along with the 8.4c. Told it's around $600.00 for the module alone. Question i havent got answer to is if you buy the module, could you use the non NAV 8.4 screen... hopefully that's the case so you don't have to buy the module and the 8.4c unit
I got a quote from the parts department at a local ram dealership for the factory nav 8.4 touch screen. The radio is 914.00. Service said 250 to install.

Users who are viewing this thread