5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New intermittent backup camera issue

jjk

Reaction score
Hi all - I just picked up a 2019 1500 Laramie with 8.4Nav and surround view and have run into an intermittent backup camera issue. My issue is different than anything I have been able to find online or in this forum though. No black screen, no blue screen, no messages. I'll include an image, but the camera will come up when I am in reverse, but a portion of the image contains black pixels. It almost looks like there is something blocking part of the view, but it is pixel related as the edges of the black are square and crisp, not blurry.

Both times it has done this, it has been a cold (below freezing) morning on first start, and has fixed itself by the next start at lunch.

Anyone have any idea on the cause? I live in New England and park outside. Most mornings I remote start and have to back out of my driveway. I'd really like to be able to count on the camera on the first start on these chilly mornings.

20211220_071341.jpg

jjk

Reaction score
Hi all - I just picked up a 2019 1500 Laramie with 8.4Nav and surround view and have run into an intermittent backup camera issue. My issue is different than anything I have been able to find online or in this forum though. No black screen, no blue screen, no messages. I'll include an image, but the camera will come up when I am in reverse, but a portion of the image contains black pixels. It almost looks like there is something blocking part of the view, but it is pixel related as the edges of the black are square and crisp, not blurry.

Both times it has done this, it has been a cold (below freezing) morning on first start, and has fixed itself by the next start at lunch.

Anyone have any idea on the cause? I live in New England and park outside. Most mornings I remote start and have to back out of my driveway. I'd really like to be able to count on the camera on the first start on these chilly mornings.

View attachment 114336
Small update. This morning the same thing is happening but I compared with yesterday's image and the pixels that are missing are different. Similar overall but not a 1 for 1 copy of yesterday.
It is 20F outside and I am starting to wonder if there is some ice in the camera itself that has (up until now) melted by lunch...

I'll keep you updated, but if someone knows the answer, I am all ears!

Thanks!

KCCO-Ram

Reaction score
I had something similar happen on my 2019 Big Horn Lone Star edition. I had horizontal lines come across the screen. I thought my camera and/or screen were the culprit; however, it turns out that the connection at the tailgate was the issue. Try unplugging your tail gate connection, clean it, and plug it back in. That fixed my issue.

Ctaylor199

Reaction score
Small update. This morning the same thing is happening but I compared with yesterday's image and the pixels that are missing are different. Similar overall but not a 1 for 1 copy of yesterday.
It is 20F outside and I am starting to wonder if there is some ice in the camera itself that has (up until now) melted by lunch...

I'll keep you updated, but if someone knows the answer, I am all ears!

Thanks!
Hi I have the same issue with 2019 Lamerie LongHorn with the backup camera. I live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Any fixes to this issue? The dealer is saying they don't see any issues with the camera operationally.

Thanks,

Chris

jjk

Reaction score
Ok so... I have basically confirmed the water issue in the camera. Bitter Temps alone don't create a problem, but a freeze after a wet day and the problem comes back.

I went direct to MOPAR and found a replacement item (68414414AA) it was $100 so i took a flyer to avoid a dealer trip. Then I got a message that the particular camera for my vehicle is different due to the surround view option. The one for surround view is 68144068AD and is $300+.

So... brought to dealer for a warranty repair. Waiting on delivery, but I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

I have not yet tried to disconnect and reconnect the harness as it has either been wet or freezing outside for the last 30 days and I really don't feel like crawling under the truck.

More to come

jjk

Reaction score
Hi I have the same issue with 2019 Lamerie LongHorn with the backup camera. I live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. Any fixes to this issue? The dealer is saying they don't see any issues with the camera operationally.

Thanks,

Chris
Check my photos on the original post. If it looks the same as those you should be in good shape for a warranty repair. I just took a photo on a few of the mornings it happened and showed the dealer. They ordered a new camera immediately.

Halibut214

Reaction score
Rather than start a new post… yesterday my brand new 2022 Rebel (536 miles) backup cam went black and said “camera system unavailable”. The camera then flashed on for a split second then off again. Later it worked fine but not this morning. Here’s what irks me to no end… a quick search shows me posts all the way back to the 2017 model with the exact same issue! What the hell!?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happened to me afew times.. come to think of it, everytime it was raining too. If I put the truck in park and then back into Reverse, it goes away.

jjk

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but I ended up waiting for the camera fix to happen at the same time as a couple other items that required parts on backorder.

The same issue I had was perfectly fine all spring, summer and fall and returned again as soon as I had freezing Temps after rain again...

20221121_075252.jpg
Today the dealership installed a new rear camera. I'm waiting on some rain and a cold night and will update if the camera replacement didn't fix the issue.

jjk

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but I ended up waiting for the camera fix to happen at the same time as a couple other items that required parts on backorder.

The same issue I had was perfectly fine all spring, summer and fall and returned again as soon as I had freezing Temps after rain again...

View attachment 144413
Today the dealership installed a new rear camera. I'm waiting on some rain and a cold night and will update if the camera replacement didn't fix the issue.
So far...so good. We've had wet weather and freezing Temps and no issues yet!

jjk

Reaction score
This is likely the last post from me on this one. The new camera has fixed everything... plenty of cold mornings and no issues at all since having it switched out!

Good luck all!

Users who are viewing this thread