5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New guy eyeing a 19 Limited

XYZSkate

Reaction score
Good Morning, checking in here from Southern California. I've been driving a BMW for years but with a new family I'm needing a truck a lot more often to do chores around the house and to pack all the gear for trips/camping.

Southern California seems to have a pretty competitive dealer scene but one thing is driving me nuts - EVERY Limited I look at has the Tow Package. I would get WAY more use out of the 360 camera when I'm trying to get into tiny SoCal parking lots but all dealers seem to add the Tow Package on basically every trim. Am I foolish thinking I won't tow anything or is it just a 'cheap' package that the dealer can order to show more value on the trucks??

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have the dealer find you what you want... their inventory guy should be able to find one in the area. I could not find one with a 6'4" bed... I asked and they found one 3 hrs away which they traded.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good Morning, checking in here from Southern California. I've been driving a BMW for years but with a new family I'm needing a truck a lot more often to do chores around the house and to pack all the gear for trips/camping.

Southern California seems to have a pretty competitive dealer scene but one thing is driving me nuts - EVERY Limited I look at has the Tow Package. I would get WAY more use out of the 360 camera when I'm trying to get into tiny SoCal parking lots but all dealers seem to add the Tow Package on basically every trim. Am I foolish thinking I won't tow anything or is it just a 'cheap' package that the dealer can order to show more value on the trucks??

Unless you are towing a big trailer, you DO NOT want the tow package! The 360 camera is awesome and I would not be without it, especially parking in tight spots. Power folding is also huge in tight areas and you lose that on the tow mirrors as well. Lastly, the non-tow mirrors are large enough that you can use them for towing most things except for big trailers. I went 360/power folding and could not be happier with my Limited.

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
As a Limited owner, I agree with you that the 360 degree camera is way more worth it than the tow package. With the brake controller added on, you get everything you need in my opinion - you aren't sacrificing the ability to tow. Between the blind spot monitoring and the convex mirrors in each corner of the regular mirrors, you aren't missing out, and when you go to the towing mirrors you lose the power folding mirrors as well.

What Gondul and Edwards wrote is correct - there is a dealer that has your truck somewhere, just have to get it transferred over... sure they'd rather sell you one off their lot, but I would just tell them that you are driving over to the other dealer otherwise... they want to sell you a truck no matter what.

Troop2865

Reaction score
You can go to the Ram Truck web site and configure a truck like you want it. You can then search within 150 miles. It will not only give you possible perfect matches but ones that are close to what you are looking for. I have used it several times and it works well.

Happy hunting.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome. Did you find that truck yet? The new regular mirrors are sufficiently bigger than before and with the limited you already have the better hitch standard. Just need the trailer brake controller.

Thanks for joining us

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want the ability to tow, like you, but I don't need equipment dedicated for towing (outside the brake controller). I'll be driving the vehicle without a trailer far more than with, so I'd rather focus on those priorities.

I found that inventory managers at various dealers seem to follow a pattern of what they put into a new truck. It's almost as if they follow a 'build template'. In searching for my new Limited, I had to search pretty much every regional dealer's inventory and these patterns became apparent. I finally found a dealer that had pretty much everything I wanted in either Billet Silver or Delmonico Red (there's that pattern again). The Silver one is still available. ;-)

Hopefully you can find a dealer that isn't simply putting the tow package on everything. When you do, you'll probably have more than one option within their inventory.

XYZSkate

Reaction score
I want the ability to tow, like you, but I don't need equipment dedicated for towing (outside the brake controller). I'll be driving the vehicle without a trailer far more than with, so I'd rather focus on those priorities.

I found that inventory managers at various dealers seem to follow a pattern of what they put into a new truck. It's almost as if they follow a 'build template'. In searching for my new Limited, I had to search pretty much every regional dealer's inventory and these patterns became apparent. I finally found a dealer that had pretty much everything I wanted in either Billet Silver or Delmonico Red (there's that pattern again). The Silver one is still available. ;-)

Hopefully you can find a dealer that isn't simply putting the tow package on everything. When you do, you'll probably have more than one option within their inventory.

Thanks for the heads up. I have found a couple dealers in SoCal which don't automatically throw the Tow Package on everything - luckily my local dealer said they can do a trade with some of these dealers to get the exact truck I need. I'm still trying to see what the numbers would look like.

It's pretty funny though, you can tell that dealers seem to just copy/paste on certain builds. One dealer I looked at would throw expensive wheels on EVERY Limited on the lot and extra stuff I couldn't possibly imagine needing. I know everybody has different tastes, but I finally found a dealer that gets Limited builds exactly as I want them.

Users who are viewing this thread