5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Gen Pentastar Thermostat Housing.

Wikielliot

Reaction score
I've been looking to install a 180° thermostat in my 2022 Bighorn the same way I did with my 2018 but turns out to be that it seems that this new gen for the Pentastar has an integrated Thermostat in the housing together with the sensor and it seems to be only replaced by a whole new housing. Has anyone yet fumbled with the idea of doing so? I might stop by any autopart store and get a replacement housing to play with it and see if there's any way to break the unit apart and check if it's possible to install the Ripp 180⁰ thermostat.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you have a tune for your truck? Else that thermostat is just going to be fought by your trucks computer to try and keep the truck at 203 not 180.
Can't comment on the housing as I have a v8, it just hangs out there.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These trucks are designed to be run hotter for best mpg and power.

As Darksteel mentioned, the truck will fight the 180 thermostat. From what I've read, the ECU/PCM will try to compensate for the air/fuel ratio and can cause operational issues. You will need a tune to adjust for this, which then opens you up to powertrain warranty issues. Most recent example that went viral recently was a HC owner who had an engine failure on a new Charger but wasn't warrantied because the dealership determined he had aftermarket software on his ECU.

I don't think it's worth the trouble on this generation of truck, especially on what you will need to do to make it work correctly and how that can open you up to bigger issues down the line.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a tune on my truck and I'm not concerned about my warranty.
If you out a bad tune on your truck that's on you.

Also don't see a point of trying to beef up a v6 though.

Transman

Reaction score
I've been looking to install a 180° thermostat in my 2022 Bighorn the same way I did with my 2018 but turns out to be that it seems that this new gen for the Pentastar has an integrated Thermostat in the housing together with the sensor and it seems to be only replaced by a whole new housing. Has anyone yet fumbled with the idea of doing so? I might stop by any autopart store and get a replacement housing to play with it and see if there's any way to break the unit apart and check if it's possible to install the Ripp 180⁰ thermostat.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
You can remove the thermostat from the housing, but keep in mind, if it runs too cool, it will set a PO218 Thermostat rationalization code

Users who are viewing this thread