5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New forum software

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I am currently working behind the scenes on adding a new forum software to the site. This will make the forum much more visually appealing, modern and easy to use. Luckily I will be able to do it without losing any of our content here, or any of the user information. When it is up you will still be able to log in as normal I think the only thing that will be lost in the switch is your Avatars. This new forum will lose Tapatalk functionality but I don't think that will be a bit loss as I personally don't find it easy to use, Tapatalk is also full of ads which I don't personally control and the revenue from those ads goes towards them opposed to the site. The new forum software is fully responsive and easy to use on mobile anyways so it eliminates the need for any such sort of plugin.

I hope to have this up and running by the end of the weekend.
1f606.png

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As I'm sure you can see the new forum Software is live. We still have a few tweaks to do but for the most part it's all set up. There is currently a bug with the Facebook and Google logins which should be resolved fairly soon. If the new forums are giving you any issues let me know and I'll try to get them resolved as soon as possible.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that you now also have the choice to choose between 2 styles. If you go to your Control Panel, Settings, General you're able to choose between Lucent which is what we have been running for the past few days or Calypso which I just finished setting up.

R

Ryan

Calypso should be the default setting. It looks like a much more traditional forum layout, albeit more modern. Vastly improved the ease of use - everything is now in the correct place for a desktop instead of looking like an larger mobile layout.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
DarkSky said:
Calypso should be the default setting. It looks like a much more traditional forum layout, albeit more modern. Vastly improved the ease of use - everything is now in the correct place for a desktop instead of looking like an larger mobile layout.
I agree, I'll be setting it as default.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Jared, is there a way to put in a button for media links like YouTube or do we have to keep putting the [media] boxes in?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
redriderbob said:
Hey Jared, is there a way to put in a button for media links like YouTube or do we have to keep putting the [media] boxes in?
Let me look into it when I get home from work. I'm sure there is a way.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Robert,

So I just tried it out you can just directly post YouTube links without adding any coding and they will show up no problem, as far as images there is the image bar in the toolbar that you can select and then just put the link in both sections.

R

Ryan

Not sure if it's a big deal to you or not @Jared Balfour but the icon that shows up when you save the site in your bookmarks appears to be reset to the default Wordpress(?) icon.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
DarkSky said:
Not sure if it's a big deal to you or not @Jared Balfour but the icon that shows up when you save the site in your bookmarks appears to be reset to the default Wordpress(?) icon.
Yeah its the Icon for this forum software. I found where to change it in a previous version and am trying to figure out where to change it here lol. I appreciate you bringing that up though.
263a.png

Edit: That should be fixed now and display the RAM logo instead.

Users who are viewing this thread