5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2020 Ram HD spy video and information

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Laramiefrontcropped.jpg

We learn a little more about the 2020 Ram HD and have some sad news for Cummins manual fans...

5thGenRams has learned a little bit more about the upcoming 2020 Ram HD. Thanks to a few of our inside sources and forum member ichime.

2020 Ram HD Spy Video (Real Fast Fotography)

Reportedly the 2020 Ram HD will be an all new 5th generation truck as opposed to a heavily refreshed 4th generation truck as I speculated last week. Currently the trucks testing are using 4th gen cabs as I had thought but the word is the trucks currently being spotted are early prototypes. Ram is currently reverse engineering some componentry reported to be mostly the electronics package while using the current 4th Gen bodies. This is why we see things such as the new taillights with blind spot monitoring, new headlights etc while still having the 4th gen look. We are being told that once the next stage of prototyping starts we will start to see some of the final design. Ram did the same with early prototypes of the 2019 Ram 1500 such as this early 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel prototype shown below.

2019 Ram Rebel mule (Spiedbilde photo)

The 2020 HD will be getting an 8 speed automatic transmission from ZF, this is believed to be the new ZF Powerline transmission that we told you about earlier this week. We have been told that the Aisin 6 speed will stick around for max tow and commerical trucks. As far as the 6 speed manual/Cummins combo goes we have been told that unforunately it will not be returning for the 5th generation HD. If you are a Cummins/manual fan and have been waiting that is unfortunate news but there is still time to pick up a 2018/2019 Ram HD Cummins/Manual before it is too late.

While we previously reported on a few changes to the 6.7 Cummins as well as power numbers (400hp 930ft lbs and 430hp, 980ft lbs) in this article we have been told a few new things. While still unsure if the 6.7 will be all new or just an update to the current 6.7 we have heard to expect a new turbocharger and manifold design as well as the compacted graphite iron (CGI) block we previously reported. The engines have already been dyno tested and meet engineering and emissions expectations with the power numbers mentioned above with room and the possibility of debuting with 1000 ft lbs according to engineers.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the V10 will have to keep appeasing me with rowing my own gears.

Not what I wanted to hear...really didn't think they would do away with it and was hoping for a manual behind the gas engine.

Oh well, the automatics work so well anyways. Guess just have to buy a used one with the stick to make me happy.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not the best news for fans of rowing your own. But to be honest it doesn't surprise me too much, I was more surprised earlier when I heard it may stick around.

With such a low take rate and most likely the need to upgrade the G56 to be able to handle the torque without putting it behind a derated Cummins coupled with it being yet another combination that needs to be certified. I can understand why they would drop it from a business perspective.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree...just seemed the stick shift was making a come back...but it costs so much to certify vehicles and everyone wants their crash ratings and mpg ratings.

I just miss when a truck was a truck and you bought it to work not brag about status and how many mpg it gets.

BUT like I said there is no better combination than a Cummins in tow haul mode with exhaust brake on...makes driving a dream...but I still enjoy clanging gears so the V10 just became more valuable to me.

And our oldest daughter just joined the ranks of stick shift drivers, she admits the auto is easier but the stick is more fun.

ichime

Reaction score
I just realized that in the night videos the light from the headlights shines right through what I thought was the outer edge of the grill. Definitely makes it more likely that these are heavy prototypes otherwise it would look very cheap.

Thanks for the video and the article! 2019 can't come soon enough.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The New HD will be an awesome truck. Can not wait to see its reveal. Glad I have my CDL so I can drive this beast at its capacity lol...Wonder when it will hit 40 thousand pounds.

I can't wait to see that 1000lb ft rating for the Cummins...and hope the powerwagon gets some love too

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I just realized that in the night videos the light from the headlights shines right through what I thought was the outer edge of the grill. Definitely makes it more likely that these are heavy prototypes otherwise it would look very cheap.

Thanks for the video and the article! 2019 can't come soon enough.

I think thats why they are so covered up. You can also tell from the night videos based on the turn signal design that these are not 4th Gen headlights nor are they 5th Gen 1500 headlights. They are most likely 5th Gen HD headlights slapped onto a 4th Gen prototype. This also leads me to believe that the HDs will definitely have a different front end than the 1500s.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Also I forgot to put into the article that this does mean that the 5th Gen HDs will indeed start to be producted at the Saltillo Mexico plant, before being moved to Warren Michigan based of the timeline of Warrens Ram 1500 classic production.

Plantutilization.jpg

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmmm they already have camo but they still put truck covers on them:LOL:. Noticed when they were backing up at night no reverse lights and brand new test mules and the turn signals don't work:ROFLMAO:

Kramersp

Reaction score
Game changer if they put the 8 speed with the Cummins. That would be class exclusive unless the 10 speed powerstroke rumors are true. Glad they are ditching the 6 speed manual. Always wondered why someone would buy that because of the detuned Cummins. Why does Ram only put the most powerful Cummins in the 3500 only? You get a 2500 and you get less power. The other two companies dont do that.

haywaj

Reaction score
Game changer if they put the 8 speed with the Cummins. That would be class exclusive unless the 10 speed powerstroke rumors are true. Glad they are ditching the 6 speed manual. Always wondered why someone would buy that because of the detuned Cummins. Why does Ram only put the most powerful Cummins in the 3500 only? You get a 2500 and you get less power. The other two companies dont do that.
It will be interesting to see, over time, how this works out. Ford will have the 10 speed, GM likely the nine speed Allison, and Ram the ZF 8 speed. ZF has stated publicly that 8 speeds are the best compromise of weight, performance, and economy (my generalizations). Will be interesting to see what bears out.

Kramersp

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see, over time, how this works out. Ford will have the 10 speed, GM likely the nine speed Allison, and Ram the ZF 8 speed. ZF has stated publicly that 8 speeds are the best compromise of weight, performance, and economy (my generalizations). Will be interesting to see what bears out.
I agree. And I really see no need for anything above 10 speeds. Heck 8 seems to be good. I read a review that the Yukon Denali with the 10 speed is a tad slower than it was with the 8 speed. I still would like to know why RAM puts a detuned Cummins in the 2500 vs the 3500.

srm3500

Reaction score
I agree. And I really see no need for anything above 10 speeds. Heck 8 seems to be good. I read a review that the Yukon Denali with the 10 speed is a tad slower than it was with the 8 speed. I still would like to know why RAM puts a detuned Cummins in the 2500 vs the 3500.

Because the 2500 can't haul or pull as much as the 3500 so they lower the output to try and give you about 1-1.5 better MPGs.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Why?

I had a 2006 Ram 3500 and used it to pull a 43ft trailer and 20ft trailer it only had 325HP and 610ft lb of torque :eek: and yet towed both just fine.
Yea, and old Ford 7.3L and Chevy 6.5L used to pull all sorts of stuff to. Slowly. Very slowly. Slow sucks. If it's slow empty, its slower loaded.

ichime

Reaction score
I found an article regarding these Stage 5 6.7 Cummins (no EGR and centralized SCR/DPF after treatment) being in production in the UK:

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2018/04/23/cummins-stage-v-b67-and-l9-certified-and-production

Couple of things I realized is that these engines will produce a peak of 1375nm of torque (which translates to 1014 ft lbs) while peak power hasn't changed much at 326 hp. The jump in torque makes it effectively a replacement for the ISC 8.3 in commercial trucks. Also, they seem to be producing it in the UK so I'm not sure if this trade war thing going on will affect availability of these engines to the US.

The only thing I didn't see is if it uses CGI or not. There is a link to the Stage 5 6.7 and under specifications the weight hasn't changed much from the older ones (around 1100 lbs) unless the asterisk next to it implies that the weight includes the SCR/DPF tank.

https://cumminsengines.com/showcase-item.aspx?id=348&title=B6.7+(Stage+V)+for+2019#overview

Also looks like the turbo will be mounted higher than the previous engines, probably due to not having an EGR-cooler in the way.

Edit: according to the following article, looks like they'll be using the same Holset turbo on the new 6.7s:

https://www.equipmentworld.com/good...chnology-and-a-mod-free-one-world-capability/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread