5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2020 Ram Engine or exhaust ping/noise

Msj

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500- love it. Technically it was used because it had 4900 miles on it. I've noticed, as best as i can describe a ping/chirp/fluttter/rattling sound on acceleration at low speed. Sounds like its coming from passenger side. I've only had the truck for about a month, and just noticed it this week. It sound like an old engine with 200,000 miles on it! I read a little bit and saw info on 89 fuel, i'll try that- I've been using 87. Troubling thing is I called 2 dealers, neither of them are the one I purchased it from , because they are an hour away, but both gave what seemed like a canned response "that's how Hemi's are" Not what I wanted to hear!!!! But the noise is driving me nuts. Can't tell if its coming from motor or exhaust. Thoughts.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500- love it. Technically it was used because it had 4900 miles on it. I've noticed, as best as i can describe a ping/chirp/fluttter/rattling sound on acceleration at low speed. Sounds like its coming from passenger side. I've only had the truck for about a month, and just noticed it this week. It sound like an old engine with 200,000 miles on it! I read a little bit and saw info on 89 fuel, i'll try that- I've been using 87. Troubling thing is I called 2 dealers, neither of them are the one I purchased it from , because they are an hour away, but both gave what seemed like a canned response "that's how Hemi's are" Not what I wanted to hear!!!! But the noise is driving me nuts. Can't tell if its coming from motor or exhaust. Thoughts.
I brought mine into a dealer and complained of engine noise, dealer stated it was just fuel injectors. I have since amassed a heat shield rattle, poor (sub 13mpg) fuel mileage, and an increase in engine bay noise.

I suggest bringing it to a dealer, express all concerns, let them investigate and if they find nothing PM RamCares.

They help us, the customer, deal with dealerships and find a way to make things right.

Msj

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to. I'm going to try the 89 first. If that doesn't work I'm off to the dealer. Kinda, disapointed. My last 2 trucks were f150's and never sounded like this brand new Ram. Love the truck, interior, ride but the motor sound leaves much to be desired.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to. I'm going to try the 89 first. If that doesn't work I'm off to the dealer. Kinda, disapointed. My last 2 trucks were f150's and never sounded like this brand new Ram. Love the truck, interior, ride but the motor sound leaves much to be desired.

You should definitely try a higher octane fuel first, 89 is recommended but 87 is acceptable if it doesn't ping.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
No manufacturer will state "you can 'use' 87 but will experience detonation."

They say you can use it, so to experience ping while using it there is a different issue afoot.

I do not think spending an extra 20-30 cents per gallon (say a 10% increase in cost per gallon) is acceptable as that is an increase in ownership cost to eliminate an issue that should not be present to begin with.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some vehicles require 93 so not sure of the point you are trying to make. Certain engine designs require certain fuel...period!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No manufacturer will state "you can 'use' 87 but will experience detonation."

They say you can use it, so to experience ping while using it there is a different issue afoot.

I do not think spending an extra 20-30 cents per gallon (say a 10% increase in cost per gallon) is acceptable as that is an increase in ownership cost to eliminate an issue that should not be present to begin with.
This is from the owners manual, maybe I read it wrong.
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy. While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Some vehicles require 93 so not sure of the point you are trying to make. Certain engine designs require certain fuel...period!
The point is the manufacturer would not recommend it if their safety features (knock sensors) could not compensate to pull timing.

The dodge viper does not say it can use 87 octane yet the ram does. The point is different engines have different tolerances as you stated.
Furthermore the point is it would not be listed as an optional fuel if it were not "safe" to be utilized. If you hear detonation every time you accelerate then by all means waste money on higher octane fuel. Or just drive it because its allowed by the manufacturer and will not void warranty.

Just like a 5k vs 10k oil change interval. Even if the dealer recommends 10k, plenty of people do 5k. To each their own, and to all a merry christmas. Or Hannukkah.

Edit: after the above comment, if you hear knocking, yeah you got a problem.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't believe it says 87 is recommend, but can be used when 89 isn't available. I haven't read the latest manual, but that is the typical understanding.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The point is the manufacturer would not recommend it if their safety features (knock sensors) could not compensate to pull timing.

The dodge viper does not say it can use 87 octane yet the ram does. The point is different engines have different tolerances as you stated.
Furthermore the point is it would not be listed as an optional fuel if it were not "safe" to be utilized. If you hear detonation every time you accelerate then by all means waste money on higher octane fuel. Or just drive it because its allowed by the manufacturer and will not void warranty.

Just like a 5k vs 10k oil change interval. Even if the dealer recommends 10k, plenty of people do 5k. To each their own, and to all a merry christmas. Or Hannukkah.

Edit: after the above comment, if you hear knocking, yeah you got a problem.

Sure, but the "ping" sound is subjective as well. "Light" as per the manual vs something wrong can mean very different things to different people. The OP could be experiencing light detonation and based on the manual deemed ok, or maybe not.

Maybe due to his elevation, gas quality, driving style, etc. that 87 maybe not be the best thing in his situation? Either way, he should definitely try 89 and see what happens from there.

89 is the recommended, 87 may cause pinging but can be used without concern...

Except this part in the manual .... "However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately."

Again, other variables maybe in play that is causing him above normal pining on 87. Though if the pinging he is hearing is "light" (however you define that), then he should be fine.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, but the "ping" sound is subjective as well. "Light" as per the manual vs something wrong can mean very different things to different people. The OP could be experiencing light detonation and based on the manual deemed ok, or maybe not.

Maybe due to his elevation, gas quality, driving style, etc. that 87 maybe not be the best thing in his situation? Either way, he should definitely try 89 and see what happens from there.

Except this part in the manual .... "However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately."

Again, other variables maybe in play that is causing him above normal pining on 87. Though if the pinging he is hearing is "light" (however you define that), then he should be fine.
Exactly. A difference between 1 oz ball peen hammer and a 16 oz one hitting a 1 inch steel plate?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you record it with your phone, upload to You tube and link it here? No posting videos here unfortunately.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I have the exact same signs sound as you describe on my 2020. Is your Eco light on when this happens? Mine does it when MDS is active under slight load. Goes away once mds disengages.

Users who are viewing this thread