5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some experts opinions

Cdorset

Reaction score
I own a 2021 ram 1500 and looking to lift it 6” with 20x10 rims with an -18 offset, tires will be 37x12.5r20 and diff is a 3.92, just wondering if anyone has heard of issues with gearing or speed , or excessive damage to front end thanks

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With that lift, you'll probably want to change the upper control arms to something made for it (if they don't already come in the kit). And front alignment accordingly.
Depending on the kit, you may have increased angles on the CV joints. That combined with increased torque needed by bigger tires will shorten the life of the CV joints.
Gearing should be okay with the 3.92 but it will be less aerodynamic, so you'll lose some MPG and top end.
And don't forget the ladder you'll need to climb in. ;)

Cdorset

Reaction score
With that lift, you'll probably want to change the upper control arms to something made for it (if they don't already come in the kit). And front alignment accordingly.
Depending on the kit, you may have increased angles on the CV joints. That combined with increased torque needed by bigger tires will shorten the life of the CV joints.
Gearing should be okay with the 3.92 but it will be less aerodynamic, so you'll lose some MPG and top end.
And don't forget the ladder you'll need to climb in. ;)
It’s a zone lift so comes with crossmember and control arms doesn’t change any angles and I will be putting at tires on, just wasn’t sure on ratio don’t want to burn out the trans thanks

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a zone lift so comes with crossmember and control arms doesn’t change any angles and I will be putting at tires on, just wasn’t sure on ratio don’t want to burn out the trans thanks
May have trouble getting it to stay in 8th gear with the tall tires. Use ERS and drive in 7 if it likes that better (?) I don't have the 3.6, maybe others will chime in.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m running the BDS lift (at around 5”) with 37x12.50r20 Toyo MTs and Method 20x10 -24 wheels & 3.92 gears. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll definitely notice a difference in acceleration and braking but overall it’s not that bad and you get used to it for the most part. I personally have no issue at all cruising in 8th gear - my speedometer isn’t calibrated either and still it’s no issue. Mpg ranges from like 10mpg at the absolute worst to 16.5mpg at the absolute best, but usually a mix of highway and city averages 13ish. My only recommendation would be try to be conscious of the weight of the wheels and tires you choose; keep it as light as possible. My setup is heavy as hell and it makes the whole truck feel heavy. If you can keep it around 115lbs per wheel or less you’ll be much better off. That’s what my previous setup weighed and it felt much better. Also my tie rods are already worn out after 36k miles of easy city/hwy miles (17k with 35” tires, 19k with 37” tires) and that’s something you will undoubtedly have to replace or upgrade. They don’t really offer upgraded tie rods for our Rams unless you get them custom made. I just talked with an off-road shop that can make upgraded ones and they’re $750 for chromoly or $1050 for billet. Stock replacements are $150 - which is what I chose to do. It’s just something to keep in mind. If you offroad your truck you’ll definitely wear parts out quicker than that as well.

Attachments

• F911674F-122F-460D-B5E7-A849C4A3BFDA.jpeg
    F911674F-122F-460D-B5E7-A849C4A3BFDA.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Cdorset

Reaction score
I’m running the BDS lift (at around 5”) with 37x12.50r20 Toyo MTs and Method 20x10 -24 wheels & 3.92 gears. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll definitely notice a difference in acceleration and braking but overall it’s not that bad and you get used to it for the most part. I personally have no issue at all cruising in 8th gear - my speedometer isn’t calibrated either and still it’s no issue. Mpg ranges from like 10mpg at the absolute worst to 16.5mpg at the absolute best, but usually a mix of highway and city averages 13ish. My only recommendation would be try to be conscious of the weight of the wheels and tires you choose; keep it as light as possible. My setup is heavy as hell and it makes the whole truck feel heavy. If you can keep it around 115lbs per wheel or less you’ll be much better off. That’s what my previous setup weighed and it felt much better. Also my tie rods are already worn out after 36k miles of easy city/hwy miles (17k with 35” tires, 19k with 37” tires) and that’s something you will undoubtedly have to replace or upgrade. They don’t really offer upgraded tie rods for our Rams unless you get them custom made. I just talked with an off-road shop that can make upgraded ones and they’re $750 for chromoly or $1050 for billet. Stock replacements are $150 - which is what I chose to do. It’s just something to keep in mind. If you offroad your truck you’ll definitely wear parts out quicker than that as well.
Truck looks good did u have any trimming to do with the 20/10 rim ? I’m sure the offset helps

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Truck looks good did u have any trimming to do with the 20/10 rim ? I’m sure the offset helps
Thanks! It required a little trimming of plastics, and I trimmed the pinch weld at 6” of height you might not even need to do the pinch weld, idk. My -24 offset would actually increase the amount of trimming needed, so for yours with 6” lift and -18 I feel like you’d have to trim a little plastic at the worst

Users who are viewing this thread