5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help - Grinding on turns

MadSyco

Reaction score
Hey all, going crazy chasing these issues so hoping one of you guys has a solution. I'm getting a very consistent rumbling/grinding through the floorboards when i turn left OR right at 5-10 MPH. It feels like a metal on metal action. I made a post regarding this 7 months ago when i first bought the truck, i then deployed so i didn't get to try any of the early suggestions. I have since returned and tried the following :

Rear diff fluid change -no modifier as i have an open rear diff with e-locker (rear diff oil did not leak out of fill hole when i removed screw, oil was also a greenish/yellowish color)
Front diff fluid change after rear diff change didn't work - (Fluid looked clean and good, although was below fill plug level)
Changed tires/wheels to stock to new TRX takeoffs and spacers.
Installed ReadyLift 2 inch with Upper control arms.
Also trimmed the front wheel liners as a possible rubbing issue
Checked for wheel bearing play on front end - No play whatsoever side to side or up/down.
Checked for tie rod play on front end
CV axles and sway bar end links look and feel solid
Caliper backing plate is not rubbing or any of the sort

None of these have fixed the issue. If anything, it got worse after today after the front diff fluid change and checking bolts around the front end diff/driveshaft - I now have this weird noticeable rattling/Vibration feeling through my gas pedal when I'm cruising or slowing down on the highway that i do not recall being there before.

I do not have any grinding/rumbling going straight as most people do with bad wheel bearings.

I went to 2 different dealerships prior to deploying regarding the grinding/rumbling while turning. First one inspected the components and didn't find anything. Second one, a tech rode with me and concluded that it was the "clutch packs" in the rear diff which made sense at the time, but now thinking about how i have an open diff, it really doesn't.

This problem was here from the start with the truck completely stock.
Truck is a 2022 Ram Rebel 5.7 w/ locking rear diff, 3.92 gears. no E-torque.

Please send out any suggestions or tips on what it might possibly be. Thanks for the time.

UPDATE
Drove over 1300 miles this past weekend. There is also a noticeable howl/whine coming from what sounds to be the rear but i can't be sure while inside the cab. it comes on at 65-75 MPH and you really only hear it once you're at those speeds and you stop accelerating and kind of ease off of the gas. If you get back on the RPMs, it goes away.

Last edited:

MadSyco

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the Rear diff fluid when i changed it.

Attachments

• IMG_3765 (1).jpg
    IMG_3765 (1).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 60

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should still have warranty. I’d take it into the dealer.

TreyBobo

Reaction score
Is it doing it on the same Turn on the same road? I noticed this with mine but only in a very certain place. Makes me wonder if it’s not the road.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For starters, does it make a difference if you are in 2WD, 4WD, or 4auto?

MadSyco

Reaction score
You should still have warranty. I’d take it into the dealer.
I am planning too. a little worried about the leveling kit and 35's i put on though. I fear they may try to blame those mods for the issues even though these were problems before those were even put on.

MadSyco

Reaction score
Is it doing it on the same Turn on the same road? I noticed this with mine but only in a very certain place. Makes me wonder if it’s not the road.
No, its doing it on any turn and even wide sweeping turns you can feel it all the way through. Even through changes in elevation.

MadSyco

Reaction score
I will mention this to them when i eventually take it in, but i doubt it's tbh. That was one of the first things i thought of when i started having the issue ( which was that first week after i bough truck) but hearing how it sounds through people that actually needed this software update, its not even remotely close. this grinding is more coming from under the floorboard on its respective side based on what side im turning on, and it happens whether going left or right.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couple other things: Your lift increases the CV joint angles, so if they are making noise or vibration, the lift will tend to make it worse. And tires, can't tell from the avatar pic, but if you have tread cleats up the shoulder, turning will tilt the tires due to caster angle, and you may get tread noise and vibration. And a really long shot, I think some combinations of wheel and lift can actually result in sway bar links rubbing tire or wheel, but you should be able to see results of that by visual inspection. Random thoughts, just start eliminating them, I guess.

MadSyco

Reaction score
Just a quite update/resolution(?) to the issues i'm having.

For the rumbling while turning: Tech went for a ride with me and couldn't really feel or hear it until he drove it and made a turn while going downhill and a little faster than usual. Ended calling a service advisor of some sort for RAM issues higher up and telling me that there is a TSB coming out for it in the future but they don't know when yet. The issue has something to do with the electronic power steering and the ABS system.

For the howling from the rear end, he instantly recognized the issue and said he check the the rear differential tolerances and backlash but found everything to be within spec so i'll be trying a different gear oil brand next time i service the differentials.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions and i will update if i hear anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread