5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation Question

Bwarren2

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good breakdown what the optional nav gives vs the Android / Apple auto?

Thx

ncsu92

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good breakdown what the optional nav gives vs the Android / Apple auto?

Thx
Sirius Travel link, remote access like remote start, wifi, etc. It was not worth it for me.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When it comes to actual navigation, nothing or at least nothing of value I can find. Google Maps is king IMO.

If you’re trying to decide between an 8.4 or 8.4c, then there are some differences, specifically HD radio and all of the Sirius Guardian stuff.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you're talking the 12 inch screen (which I'm guessing not since Nav is standard" then you get the full screen ability which you dont get with Android Auto.

And speed limits / signs. I have yet to figure out why Google can't do that well.

ncsu92

Reaction score
If you're talking the 12 inch screen (which I'm guessing not since Nav is standard" then you get the full screen ability which you dont get with Android Auto.

And speed limits / signs. I have yet to figure out why Google can't do that well.

That's why I use Waze instead of Google Maps.

Bwarren2

Reaction score

You will find the speed limits aren't accurate.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about 80% at this point, course I don't rely on them for anything other than to see how fast i need to go to make the sign red on my screen :p
Here in DFW, the speed limits appear to be correct most of the time too. You can set the speed (the number in excess of the speed limit) at which the sign goes red in the nav settings.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here in DFW, the speed limits appear to be correct most of the time too. You can set the speed (the number in excess of the speed limit) at which the sign goes red in the nav settings.

Ya, I saw the setting change...now its a game as to how far above the limit do I set it and how fast do I go to make it go over... :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I love Apple CarPlay for navigation, but I been using Sirius guardian to send addresses to the nav unit and that has been working great. Really slick solution.

Bwarren2

Reaction score
I love Apple CarPlay for navigation, but I been using Sirius guardian to send addresses to the nav unit and that has been working great. Really slick solution.

I am not a fan of Apple Maps

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Apple Maps
Not perfect but I have found Apple Maps to be very dependable and preferable; it usually provides a better, faster routing especially in changing traffic conditions compared to my Jeep Grand Cherokee uconnect system. I can’t speak to how the comparison will go with the most current uconnect system though.

...But I still bought Nav because I liked the redundancy, and I loved seeing the weather maps pop up as part of the Sirius travel services.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I second the Nav option being a backup if you lost cell service or lost your phone entirely... stuff happens.

Users who are viewing this thread