5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nav does not know where I am

MikeLockwood

Reaction score
So I have not used the onboard nav in a bit as if I need nav I usually just plug in my phone and use Waze or Google Maps but today I was feeling lazy and used it. The system thought I was about an hour away and actually in the ocean. Not a great picture but as you can see it says I am in Half Moon Bay but I am actually in San Jose. The color there is really blue and the pacific ocean. Has anyone else had a problem like this. Not sure what version of the Uconnect system I have as it has only done an update once since I got it in late 2018. Looking for advice before I just take it to the dealer.

1592539722699.png

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So I have not used the onboard nav in a bit as if I need nav I usually just plug in my phone and use Waze or Google Maps but today I was feeling lazy and used it. The system thought I was about an hour away and actually in the ocean. Not a great picture but as you can see it says I am in Half Moon Bay but I am actually in San Jose. The color there is really blue and the pacific ocean. Has anyone else had a problem like this. Not sure what version of the Uconnect system I have as it has only done an update once since I got it in late 2018. Looking for advice before I just take it to the dealer.

View attachment 59479
DUDE! Your NAV is way off.. He thinks you're at moon :oops: :oops: I think even the dealer can't fix that...

GAscooter

Reaction score
I have the 8.4” w/ Nav, and I had a very similar problem. Mine thought I was always about 40 miles away and headed a different direction. The dealer tried updates to fix it, but the final fix was to replaced the entire radio.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Sunday, I was in the ocean...wonder is something was going on with the satellites, as XM was knocked out also. Turned the truck off, came back about a 1/2 hour later...all good.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
onboard uconnect nav is horrible. Used it once and ended up being 45min late to my destination. Haven't used it since.

Slumlord

Reaction score
onboard uconnect nav is horrible. Used it once and ended up being 45min late to my destination. Haven't used it since.
Agreed. My house was built over 4 years ago and my address still doesn't exist in the factory nav.

DrBob18

Reaction score
Mine had the exact same issue (2019 Laramie with HK).... dealer had it for 3 different visits, replacing everything from antenna and cable, reprogramming/card replacement, and ultimately needing to replace the Radio unit to fix it. Nav showed the truck hundreds of miles off, and Sirius XM would not connect but the rest of the radio worked normally.

MikeLockwood

Reaction score
Got the truck into the shop today. They have done a soft and hard reset on it but no luck. They are going to do a software update on it tomorrow as it has not had one since I bought the truck in late 2018. If that does not resolve the truck they are going to have me pick it up and then order a replacement. So more to come tomorrow.

HMC8403

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Truck was in service for another issue that they had to flash the Uconnect. I picked up the truck and jumped on the highway then saw my GPS was showing about 5 miles away. Also the radio wasn’t tuning into any station. Waited over a month to get a new radio.
E0B3DB89-04ED-457A-9B14-8E5E8C423484.png

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same issue. Truck was in service for another issue that they had to flash the Uconnect. I picked up the truck and jumped on the highway then saw my GPS was showing about 5 miles away. Also the radio wasn’t tuning into any station. Waited over a month to get a new radio.
View attachment 64847
Well... That sucks!

redbranch

Reaction score
Same here. Nav is off buy about 35-40 miles, and the compass is off by 90 degrees. Other features work sometimes and not others. They've ordered a new radio...two weeks ago. So now I wait.

R Luzb

Reaction score
My Navigation or compass has not worked since March of this year. It started out showing me being about 40 miles off of my current location in Northern KY. It gradually kept showing my location going further south to where now I am in the Gulf of Mexico. Didn't know the truck was amphibious??? I have had it back to the dealer at least six times for this issue since March. They have done several resets and software downloads, nothing changed. They ordered a complete new radio head unit which took about two months to come in and installed it in September. The new unit did not work either so they reinstalled my old unit and reordered another new unit which I have been waiting for since September. I finally received notice from the dealer that the second new radio head unit came in and I have an appointment next week to have it installed. So after nine months I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopeful that this issue will be resolved.
I really want to like this truck because it has alot of great features and amenities, but between this issue and some other problems such as, a cracked exhaust manifold which took six months to get repaired, a clunking noise in the rear on a rough road which they can not seem to find or duplicate but I hear it every time I drive the truck, a rubbing noise in the left front wheel when making a hard right turn, the right mirror does not want to lock back in place after you retract them.
My concern is I only have about 5000 miles left on the factory warranty. What kind of expenses will I incur after that runs out???
Maybe it's time to consider trading for something better, what ever that might be!

Users who are viewing this thread