5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nauset Beach Day

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About the only "Off-Roading" I get to do living in SE Mass is to go out on one of the beaches that allows Over Sand Vehicles. I got a permit for Nauset Beach in Orleans last year, which expires next week, so I wanted to get one last trip out while my permit was still active. The wife had to work, so I loaded up the kids and off we went.

It was a spectacular day and we had the beach largely to ourselves. The sand was very loose in spots, but I aired down to 15 PSI and had no issues what-so-ever. The truck is a beast in the sand. Cruising the dunes was awesome without the summer "traffic" and when we finally got to a good spot to stop... there wasn't another vehicle within a mile on either side. A great day to kick off spring and warming temps. Lots of pics to follow...

Nauset Shark Warning.jpg

Nauset Trail Head.jpg Nauset Trail 1.jpg Nauset Windswept Dune.jpg
Nauset GPS.jpg
Nauset Dune Climb.jpg
Nauset Trail 2.jpg

broman66

Reaction score
Very cool pics!! I've never been to the Nauset OSV beach, but we used to go to Sandy Neck out of Barnstable/Sandwich. It got too expensive for the amount of space and time the beach was open due to the piping plover crap. I say crap, because they are not an actual extinct bird. And they were not originally from this area. They blew in during a hurricane about 20 years ago. We live on CC and really want to get back into OSV/ORV beaching.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Sandy Neck pass for offseason is pretty cheap... $80 for Labor Day to May 1st. Might be a good option.

Nauset is "only $220" for the year, and they have a program where you can still get beach access provided you have someone over 16 years old with you to walk out in front of the vehicle to shoo the bird away. Very rarely is it closed completely. If you live on CC then you can make a lot of use of it too. Just can't go in the water! :oops:

I want to go to Race Point this season but practically the whole damn beach has been closed to OSV.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I love getting out on the sand/beach, this beach you visited looks like a fun place for the family. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Has anyone had issue with their blind spot system showing error messages when on the beach? When I drive on the beach, only then, my rear blind spot monitors wig out and i get an error message on the instrument cluster . Not sure if it is from very light dusting of sand on the rear tail lignts? Not to hijack the thread. Just came to mind seeing your post.
Thank God our beaches don’t have expensive access permits.
D6035A1B-03E2-4E3E-B7A7-0DCFCBBD097E.jpeg

Last edited:

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Beautiful beach. Can you get weekend passes?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love getting out on the sand/beach, this beach you visited looks like a fun place for the family. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Has anyone had issue with their blind spot system showing error messages when on the beach? When I drive on the beach, only then, my rear blind spot monitors wig out and i get an error message on the instrument cluster . Not sure if it is from very light dusting of sand on the rear tail lignts? Not to hijack the thread. Just came to mind seeing your post.
Thank God our beaches don’t have expensive access permits.
View attachment 95775
Is it possible you're driving fast on the beach, and kicking up rooster tails of sand causing the blind spot monitors to get false readings? I don't have any issues, but the speed limits on the beaches around here are 10 - 15 mph.

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Beautiful beach. Can you get weekend passes?
Not at the town run beaches like Nauset and Sandy Neck... only seasonal passes. Cape Cod National Seashore is a National Park and you can get a week pass for $50.

Prices may seem steep... they are... but the season is short and the beaches are costly to maintain. Every beach has air compressor stations to re-inflate your tires for example, and the erosion/conservation efforts to maintain a viable beach are significant. Regular parking at a Cape Cod beach in the Summer is $20 or more... so in relative terms it's not horrible.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Is it possible you're driving fast on the beach, and kicking up rooster tails of sand causing the blind spot monitors to get false readings? I don't have any issues, but the speed limits on the beaches around here are 10 - 15 mph.
Funny thing is I wasn’t driving like a youth. Speed limit is 25mph. That’s what’s odd. I hardly had sand in the fender liners. My truck has been dirtier from forest service roads and not had this issue, it’s only when I’m on the beach. Oh well.
I’ve got a trip planned in July. We’ll see if we are 3 for 3 in error messages on the beach. EC586EA9-3691-4047-BA86-D06A13D99A44.jpeg

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Well, we are 3 for 3 with error messages when driving on the beach. No sand or deposits on the sensors. Low speed, 25mph or slower.
I couldnt take a picture because the warning on the cluster is brief and my boy was driving while sitting on my lap. Both blind spot assist warning lights stay illuminated on the mirrors during the fault.

More of an electrical oddity or quirk than a concern at this point.

bud007

Reaction score
Great pictures (y)

I miss the Cape , went there a lot growing up , hope to make it back to New England later this year and if so will definitely go by , should be late summer early fall ... the best time of year ;) (y)

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, we are 3 for 3 with error messages when driving on the beach. No sand or deposits on the sensors. Low speed, 25mph or slower.
I couldnt take a picture because the warning on the cluster is brief and my boy was driving while sitting on my lap. Both blind spot assist warning lights stay illuminated on the mirrors during the fault.

More of an electrical oddity or quirk than a concern at this point.
That sucks. Such an odd occurrence. Doesn't sound like it stops you from having fun though.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great pictures (y)

I miss the Cape , went there a lot growing up , hope to make it back to New England later this year and if so will definitely go by , should be late summer early fall ... the best time of year ;) (y)
The month of September can be the best time... most of the crowds are gone and lots of stuff gets much more accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online