5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mysterious electrical issue, at least to me anyway.

Whyjustwhy

Reaction score
2019 ram 1500 with 149,000 miles. I recently had a mechanic delete the MDS system with new cam, lifters springs, etc.
Even before this I was having some minor electrical issues like the overhead lights pulsing when the engine was at idle and an occasional check engine light that would pop up and then mysteriously go away for no reason. The Uconnect radio screen has been out for sometime but it's still connected and the radio plays. The touchscreen is just dead.
I will post pictures of the error codes that I have received when I hooked it up to a scan tool.. When this problem first came up I was driving down the road and everything electrical in the cab just suddenly died. The engine was running perfectly and I could accelerate and stop but the only thing electrical inside of the cab that worked was The front windows and the side mirrors. Everything else was completely dead. Then just as mysteriously as it happened everything came back to life within a few minutes and it was fine for the rest of the day. This happened a few more times over the next couple of days and then that issue stopped but the traction control light on the dash came on the yellow parking caution light as well as several other dash lights came on and the throttle stopped responding. However when I let off of the break it would accelerate on its own nowhere near fast enough to drive on the freeway.

How does one even start tracing down something like this. I have talked to multiple mechanics and no one even comes close to inspiring confidence and tracking down an electrical issue. I am quite handy and know a lot about diagnosing problems and electrical equipment as that's what I do for a living but in the plumbing industry. It's quite hard to trace down a problem when you don't really know how the system is supposed to work to begin with and these trucks are quite a bit more complicated than the systems I work on daily.

I would love to keep this truck for another 150 thousand plus miles like most of the other vehicles we have had so any advice or even a referral to a mechanic that could actually track down the root of the problem would be great.

By the way I am in Hockley Texas just north west of Cypress.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.png
    IMG_2197.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2198.png
    IMG_2198.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2199.png
    IMG_2199.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2200.png
    IMG_2200.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2201.png
    IMG_2201.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 5
How does one even start tracing down something like this.
By subscribing to Advanced DIY Automotive Repair | ALLDATA DIY
Looks like the BCM could be down (not necessarily a bad module, could be power or ground issue or data line problem) due to several modules pointing a finger at it.
Alldata has detailed diagnoses procedures for this sort of stuff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back