5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My very important opinion, also, get a pedal commander

Benca101

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I traded my loaded 2016 Corvette Stingray for a 2020 Rebel. Many reasons for doing so, the vette was paid for, I had my fun, time to trade out a hot loose woman for a one with 'birthing hips' I guess.

But there is one thing about the truck that is, no doubt, undeniably **** poor. Honestly, I would say it's broken and shame on Dodge. That's the throttle response. Granted, I'm coming from a manual tranny vette, where throttle response was a gun trigger, maybe that makes it all the more apparent to me how much worse this mopar is. At first I brushed it off as "must be the difference between a truck and sports car" but, after a few close calls trying to pull out onto a busy street, after having to floor the damn thing to force a downshift or pass someone, I had enough. 1 to 2 seconds for input to be realized is absolutely unacceptable.

To remove the driver so thoroughly from the throttle input is unforgivable. Imagine if the brakes behaved like this garbage. Or the steering. Imagine having to guess how far in front of a right hand turn you should start turning the steering wheel, and then, guessing wrong, turning it as fast as possible in an epileptic fit of panic and rage.

it is stunning that it would be OK for them to ship it like this.

But I'm sure the people who invented the miraculous Pedal Commander are grateful.

You should buy this device and enjoy how your HEMI should have been driving all along. It'l be like you've been a vegan and someone just shared a bite from a perfectly cooked ribeye with you. It's like losing your virginity.. well.. even better.

I hope I've made my point, and writing about this does help me to feel a little better about a $60,000 truck with the throttle input of a lobotomized 3 legged donkey. (the profanity flying from me right now, you would blush)

Pedal command came in last night, installed this morning.

But, a warning for you; installing this is a test of your IQ. Sadly, my IQ is about where some Dodge engineer's is. It took me a flashlight and 20 minutes to finally realize, 'ah, son of a b**tch, you just pull that thingy out, then pop it off. When I had it installed, I had a few problems:

- Missing a lot of Uconnect apps
- No backup camera, like it never existed
- No HVAC

So I removed the negative terminal and waited an hour. Same problem.

In another fit of rage (the fits of rage all over the throttle.. maybe doesn't reflect well on me), anyway, I pulled it out planning to take it to the dealership. But then, I thought, no way I'm going back to the crap throttle response AND not have everything. So I put it back in. A little different this time.. when I plugged in one side into the original OEM harness, you must hear two clicks. Ah! That was the problem. This video showed me the light:

Once it was properly installed, everything worked. And now my 'practical birthing hips woman' feels so so.. um responsive.

Oh, since I am worked up, one more gripe: the stereo. I have the Uconnect 8.4 (because I like knobs, go ahead and think the joke), and the 6 speaker system. It is very poor. My vette, which can be had for even less than this truck, sounded many many times better. Unacceptable. I spent $500 replacing all 6 speakers with Infinits, which then sounded sublime, if a little flat without a nice powered sub. So I spent another $500 for a powered sub. Sounds AWESOME. The stock stereo pushes a lot of power. $1000 well spent, but shouldn't have needed to be. Sounds way better than my buddies HK 19 speaker system, and is louder too... and 20% of the price!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Quick question, do you like the pedal commander :LOL: . Sorry. I appreciate the feedback on all and glad you are digging it! Separately make sure you grab the extra rebate below before your 60 days are up.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Pedal commander is worth it... Believe me, I'm not into these electronic gizmo's today, but the more I drove my RAM, the more I felt like it was a chore to actually give it gas. Splurged on the pedal commander put it on "city" mode, loved it vs stock. even bumped it +2 above city. Haven't tried the other settings, don't care either. Perfectly happy with City +2. Buy it, won't regret it if your feeling like your exhausted every time you are driving your truck.

Boyter

Reaction score
+1 on the pedal commander, I ordered mine after my 3rd day of rebel ownership. Coming from a 2012 Raptor I honestly thought there was a problem so drove my mate's Gen4 as a comparison....just as lethargic! you don't realise how bad it is until the fix is in place.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Another option is Vitesse Motorsports Throttle controller. Much easier to use one knob does all.

ny2az

Reaction score
Another option is Vitesse Motorsports Throttle controller. Much easier to use one knob does all.
wheeler ,... can you let us know if your happy with the vitesse controller... simple to install and works just as good as the other units available...thx

derp

Reaction score
So what I am hearing is you gave a birthing hips woman a bump of meth and are hanging on for the ride?

This is precisely why I don't have the PC. My wife learned to drive in NASCAR. The last thing I need to do is make my truck super fun for her and end up driving her econobox.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Best friend brought family this noon for family lunch date. Very similar trucks same lift tire and wheels. He got 3.92 and mine is 3.21. He took Mine for a spin. Vetisse sport set at sport 6 he was impressed. His words not mine his truck feels sluggish. IMG_20200126_151200.jpg b n

Wheeler

Reaction score
wheeler ,... can you let us know if your happy with the vitesse controller... simple to install and works just as good as the other units available...thx
Can't speak for other brands. I am happy with Vitesse. Very easy to use and install.

Vic

Reaction score
I'm guessing some trucks have this issue from the factory and some don't. I didn't notice it on the vehicle I first test drove, not the second one I test drove and ended up purchasing. The only thing I do notice is the throttle is a little touchy coming into a parking spot at slow speed, like the idle is too high. Taking off from a stop there is no hesitation and plenty of power.

rah6887

Reaction score
I'm guessing some trucks have this issue from the factory and some don't. I didn't notice it on the vehicle I first test drove, not the second one I test drove and ended up purchasing. The only thing I do notice is the throttle is a little touchy coming into a parking spot at slow speed, like the idle is too high. Taking off from a stop there is no hesitation and plenty of power.
I think you're right, I just touch my pedal and it jerks my head back, no complaints with the factory setup here.

Reactions: Vic

derp

Reaction score
tossing the ideas around in my head on why the throttle smoothing was initally done at factory (aside from econ).

Having all of the engine potential available without smoothing/lag makes for more hard launches and driveline wear. I'm curious as to whether the TRX will have the lag when it comes out or if they are going to give it the full hoon from the factory floor.

ramhead

Reaction score
I wonder if this whole throttle response/lag thing is a problem only on certain trucks/trims?? Reason I say this is I'm quite satisfied with the response/pick up on my '19 Ram (5.7). I don't notice any real lag or lack in the throttle response of my truck. And before anyone thinks I may just not notice it or can appreciate the difference, I've had a lot of experience on previous vehs. with performance mods (tuners, CAI's, throttle bodies, etc) where it has made a real noticeable difference. I actually thought about the PC but when I drive my truck and punch it, it responds very well to my "input". I'm sure the PC would up that a bit (and I know it would at the most aggressive Sport + setting - but, for most that's just a "show it off" setting and not for daily driving like the "City" mode) but it's not to the point now where I feel I need it.

That said, I would like to try it out.....I believe they have 30 day return policy where it can be returned (minus return shipping which is fair) for a full refund.

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I traded my loaded 2016 Corvette Stingray for a 2020 Rebel. Many reasons for doing so, the vette was paid for, I had my fun, time to trade out a hot loose woman for a one with 'birthing hips' I guess.

But there is one thing about the truck that is, no doubt, undeniably **** poor. Honestly, I would say it's broken and shame on Dodge. That's the throttle response. Granted, I'm coming from a manual tranny vette, where throttle response was a gun trigger, maybe that makes it all the more apparent to me how much worse this mopar is. At first I brushed it off as "must be the difference between a truck and sports car" but, after a few close calls trying to pull out onto a busy street, after having to floor the damn thing to force a downshift or pass someone, I had enough. 1 to 2 seconds for input to be realized is absolutely unacceptable.

To remove the driver so thoroughly from the throttle input is unforgivable. Imagine if the brakes behaved like this garbage. Or the steering. Imagine having to guess how far in front of a right hand turn you should start turning the steering wheel, and then, guessing wrong, turning it as fast as possible in an epileptic fit of panic and rage.

But I'm sure the people who invented the miraculous Pedal Commander are grateful.

You should buy this device and enjoy how your HEMI should have been driving all along. It'l be like you've been a vegan and someone just shared a bite from a perfectly cooked ribeye with you. It's like losing your virginity.. well.. even better.

I hope I've made my point, and writing about this does help me to feel a little better about a $60,000 truck with the throttle input of a lobotomized 3 legged donkey. (the profanity flying from me right now, you would blush)

But, a warning for you; installing this is a test of your IQ. Sadly, my IQ is about where some Dodge engineer's is. It took me a flashlight and 20 minutes to finally realize, 'ah, son of a b**tch, you just pull that thingy out, then pop it off. When I had it installed, I had a few problems:

- No HVAC

In another fit of rage (the fits of rage all over the throttle.. maybe doesn't reflect well on me), anyway, I pulled it out planning to take it to the dealership. But then, I thought, no way I'm going back to the crap throttle response AND not have everything. So I put it back in. A little different this time.. when I plugged in one side into the original OEM harness, you must hear two clicks. Ah! That was the problem. This video showed me the light:

Once it was properly installed, everything worked. And now my 'practical birthing hips woman' feels so so.. um responsive.

Oh, since I am worked up, one more gripe: the stereo. I have the Uconnect 8.4 (because I like knobs, go ahead and think the joke), and the 6 speaker system. It is very poor. My vette, which can be had for even less than this truck, sounded many many times better. Unacceptable. I spent $500 replacing all 6 speakers with Infinits, which then sounded sublime, if a little flat without a nice powered sub. So I spent another $500 for a powered sub. Sounds AWESOME. The stock stereo pushes a lot of power. $1000 well spent, but shouldn't have needed to be. Sounds way better than my buddies HK 19 speaker system, and is louder too... and 20% of the price!
Man, that's a lot of complaining, I'm sorry to hear you are that unhappy with your new Ram. I'm thinking you made a mistake purchasing a truck and you should trade it in for something else, like a mid-engine Corvette, or maybe a Tesla Model S with the Ludicrous Speed option. If you still want a truck, then maybe a Ford Raptor? Life is too short to not be happy with a $60k purchase.
Good luck with whatever you decide to trade it on!

Reaction score

- No HVAC

I'm coming from a 2017 Camaro ZL1 to my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and know exactly what you're talking about. I just ordered my pedal commander it it should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out.

Hardlivin'

Reaction score
thx...just ordered one...was on sale for $159 w/ free shipping vitesse website ...

I ordered one about a week ago and still haven't gotten a shipping notification. I've tried couple times reaching them with no response

Wheeler

Reaction score
Shipping is slow. About 5 working days after payment clear.

Users who are viewing this thread