5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New 'Big Ho'

Ramjack

Reaction score
I'm on my way home from taking delivery yesterday on a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn (5.7 eTorque) from Mark Dodge. I Bought the vehicle over the phone on Friday, flew to Lake Charles yesterday morning, took delivery (they picked me up at the airport in my new truck), and started the 10hr drive home to Atlanta. I expected the drive the whole way but I was tired from only getting 2 hours sleep Friday night that I stopped in Mobile last night. (Yeah, I know. I'm a weenie.) Five hours to go today.

First impressions:
1. I had intended to buy a non-eTorque vehicle. I don't like having expensive options that can break. So far, eTorque has been great. As long as it continues to work properly, I really think I will like it. The start-stop functionality is so much better than any other vehicle out there. No annoying starter motor cranking every time you leave a stop.

2. I'm tracking gallons and miles but I have not done the calcs yet. Will edit later. As of now, the on-board computer (I know, useless) is reading 21.1 mpg. I'm trying to stay at 71-72 mph. MPG's really drop above that.

3. The Uconnect (8.4") keeps dropping the Android Auto connection from my phone. I'm hoping it's a bad usb cable. It's annoying when the Google Maps drops off the screen when I'm going down the highway. I can usually get it back if I unplug from my phone and plug back in. Anyone else have this issue.

4. Truck is awesome !!

5. I will add more later, but I need to hit the road so I can get back to the family before the weekend is over !!

Thanks !!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm on my way home from taking delivery yesterday on a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn (5.7 eTorque) from Mark Dodge. I Bought the vehicle over the phone on Friday, flew to Lake Charles yesterday morning, took delivery (they picked me up at the airport in my new truck), and started the 10hr drive home to Atlanta. I expected the drive the whole way but I was tired from only getting 2 hours sleep Friday night that I stopped in Mobile last night. (Yeah, I know. I'm a weenie.) Five hours to go today.

First impressions:
1. I had intended to buy a non-eTorque vehicle. I don't like having expensive options that can break. So far, eTorque has been great. As long as it continues to work properly, I really think I will like it. The start-stop functionality is so much better than any other vehicle out there. No annoying starter motor cranking every time you leave a stop.

2. I'm tracking gallons and miles but I have not done the calcs yet. Will edit later. As of now, the on-board computer (I know, useless) is reading 21.1 mpg. I'm trying to stay at 71-72 mph. MPG's really drop above that.

3. The Uconnect (8.4") keeps dropping the Android Auto connection from my phone. I'm hoping it's a bad usb cable. It's annoying when the Google Maps drops off the screen when I'm going down the highway. I can usually get it back if I unplug from my phone and plug back in. Anyone else have this issue.

4. Truck is awesome !!

5. I will add more later, but I need to hit the road so I can get back to the family before the weekend is over !!

Thanks !!
Congratulations on your new truck .

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I track my mileage all the time...I would stop short of saying the EVIC is useless...It's just 'off'. My computer is almost always exactly 1mpg higher than my hand calculations. In fact, we just drove from Columbus OH to Hilton Head and the computer shows 21.9mpg, calculated last night to 20.9...so it's a good indicator. The truck did beautifully with 4 adults and a bed FULL of beach stuff.

Warship2k15

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck.
The usb cable has to be right or it will do exactly as yours is doing.
Ask me how I know!
So get a factory usb cable and leave it in the truck.

U

User_3336

Congrats on the new truck.
The usb cable has to be right or it will do exactly as yours is doing.
Ask me how I know!
So get a factory usb cable and leave it in the truck.
A "factory" usb cable???

BowDown

Reaction score

First impressions:

4. Truck is awesome !!

Thanks !!

Congrats
I may be in the minority but I find the evic calculations to be accurate. Mine shows 17.8, 17.9- 18.0 consistently every tank and hand calc I get 18.2 so I don't agree with others that say its not accurate

Ramjack

Reaction score

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats
I may be in the minority but I find the evic calculations to be accurate. Mine shows 17.8, 17.9- 18.0 consistently every tank and hand calc I get 18.2 so I don't agree with others that say its not accurate
I concur. I track all my fills and to-date my life time average fuel economy is 19.74 MPG (hand calculated) with a life time EVIC error rate of + 0.19%.

Judging from one fill to the next can be misleading, and I've recorded fills where the EVIC is off 4-6% to the positive. I've also recorded fills where I actually got better gas mileage than the EVIC indicated. A lot has to do with the fill at the pump (hose pressure, vehicle level, temperature). These effects are even more noticeable if the fills are at different pumps and gas stations.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050524 miles.

BoudinBall

Reaction score
You pick up any Boudin in Scott/Lafayette on your way back east? If not, you missed a big opportunity. Sorry to hear about your stay in Mobile.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I concur. I track all my fills and to-date my life time average fuel economy is 19.74 MPG (hand calculated) with a life time EVIC error rate of + 0.19%.

Judging from one fill to the next can be misleading, and I've recorded fills where the EVIC is off 4-6% to the positive. I've also recorded fills where I actually got better gas mileage than the EVIC indicated. A lot has to do with the fill at the pump (hose pressure, vehicle level, temperature). These effects are even more noticeable if the fills are at different pumps and gas stations.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050524 miles.
I think the computer ended up at 20.3 for the trip. I hand calculated 19.1 for part of the trip but that was for less than a 1/2 tank of use, and I didn't fill up when I got home because I'm not driving much these days so I don't want to have a full tank sitting in the truck for weeks.

Ramjack

Reaction score
You pick up any Boudin in Scott/Lafayette on your way back east? If not, you missed a big opportunity. Sorry to hear about your stay in Mobile.
Damn. Nah, man. I was so focused on getting home to the family I barely stopped to take a leak. Mobile served it's purpose; got some good rest and left there at 6am this morning.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Is this right for Big Horns?
1. Rear seats don't fold down. The straps at the top are just for child seats, right? But I was able to fold the seat bottoms up.
2. Rear window does not slide open.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this right for Big Horns?
1. Rear seats don't fold down. The straps at the top are just for child seats, right? But I was able to fold the seat bottoms up.
2. Rear window does not slide open.

Yes correct.

Laramie & up have the power slider window & reclining rear seats

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I think the computer ended up at 20.3 for the trip. I hand calculated 19.1 for part of the trip but that was for less than a 1/2 tank of use, and I didn't fill up when I got home because I'm not driving much these days so I don't want to have a full tank sitting in the truck for weeks.
You know if a vehicle sits it is better to have a full tank. The less air in the tank, the less condensation that can accumulate.

Ramjack

Reaction score
You know if a vehicle sits it is better to have a full tank. The less air in the tank, the less condensation that can accumulate.
I'm a boater and there is a similar school of thought in the marine world. However, I always use fuel stabilizer and ethanol-free fuel in my boats. For motor vehicle use, I'm less worried about condensation and more concerned about the E-10 ethanol fuel sitting in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread