5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Gen 3 just keeps impressing me more and more

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Had to run about an hour away today to pick up some hardwood flooring. The attached picture shows my truck with 1200 pounds in the bed. The truck is sitting perfectly level, was very stable with the load in the back, and still managed to get 27 MPG on the trip back.

I've got 20,500 miles on it and the only issue I've had is a bad wheel speed sensor which caused an ABS warning light just recently. While it was in for that the dealer did the PCM update TSB. The engine feels much more responsive (especially when cold) and the transmission seems to do an even better job of always finding the right gear. I even pulled out into oncoming traffic, which would've been a death sentence due to throttle lag before the TSB, but when I floored it the truck took off like a bat out of he!!.

Maybe I just got a good one, but I love mine, it does everything I ask of it and does it well. I wouldn't trade it for anything, not even a TRX (well, maybe)...

tempImageRy6JsA.jpg

Reaction score
Had to run about an hour away today to pick up some hardwood flooring. The attached picture shows my truck with 1200 pounds in the bed. The truck is sitting perfectly level, was very stable with the load in the back, and still managed to get 27 MPG on the trip back.

I've got 20,500 miles on it and the only issue I've had is a bad wheel speed sensor which caused an ABS warning light just recently. While it was in for that the dealer did the PCM update TSB. The engine feels much more responsive (especially when cold) and the transmission seems to do an even better job of always finding the right gear. I even pulled out into oncoming traffic, which would've been a death sentence due to throttle lag before the TSB, but when I floored it the truck took off like a bat out of he!!.

Maybe I just got a good one, but I love mine, it does everything I ask of it and does it well. I wouldn't trade it for anything, not even a TRX (well, maybe)...

View attachment 85212
The truck and ecodiesel make a great combo for sure! My mind is blown by the city fuel mileage I have been experiencing.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love mine as well. Got 18.5mpg towing a two place snowmobile trailer. My old Hemi wouldn't get that empty.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, the miles per gallon are pretty darned good. It's a shame that it takes $5,000 upfront payment, service intervals that are 5x more costly, and fuel that averages $0.40 more per gallon nationally to get there.

Aside from the fact that it's a terrible financial decision, I must say that after a full year and 15,000 miles this is the first vehicle I've ever owned (out of dozens) that I'm still in love with. It's just a really great truck.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan on doing long road trips with about 900 pounds of motorcycles in the back and 2 persons. Truck MPGs scared the crap out of me after coming from a long list of 2 liter turbo hatchbacks. The EcoDiesel convinced me to go RAM instead of Ford PowerBoost. Looking forward to it.

Uga40

Reaction score
I just towed a 26 ft travel trailer, 7k lbs total load, for 800 miles. First leg of the trip had no wind and was getting 13 MPG. 2nd leg had a lot of headwind and got 11 mpg. Towed it with no issues.

championprops

Reaction score
Had my 2021 Big Horn for about a month. Averaging 24-25 mpg in town, Avg 30mpg on a recent 250 road trip. No complaints so far. Had a 2014 eco-diesel with no issues. Was thinking about the Hemi when ordering just couldn't deal with the terrible gas mileage. I understand the upfront costs but I think resale will be higher, it was on the 2014.

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
I plan on doing long road trips with about 900 pounds of motorcycles in the back and 2 persons. Truck MPGs scared the crap out of me after coming from a long list of 2 liter turbo hatchbacks. The EcoDiesel convinced me to go RAM instead of Ford PowerBoost. Looking forward to it.

I'm kind of struggling to decide between a Ford Powerboost and Ram EcoDiesel right now. My biggest concerns are highway ride and fuel economy on the highway and comfort. This all has me still leaning Ram. I think my head is still concern about reliability.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm kind of struggling to decide between a Ford Powerboost and Ram EcoDiesel right now. My biggest concerns are highway ride and fuel economy on the highway and comfort. This all has me still leaning Ram. I think my head is still concern about reliability.

The PowerBust has equipment all over it that will be very very pricey to replace or repair in the future. I will admit, I love how Ford is offering 2kw power onboard even without the hybrid engine. Excellent and very useful idea for a truck. I just can't stand the rest of the truck. I grew up a die hard Ford guy my entire life but in roughly 2011 they started to really lose their way and since then their vehicles have been ugly inside, ugly outside, made with cheap materials, and just are really behind the curve.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The PowerBust has equipment all over it that will be very very pricey to replace or repair in the future. I will admit, I love how Ford is offering 2kw power onboard even without the hybrid engine. Excellent and very useful idea for a truck. I just can't stand the rest of the truck. I grew up a die hard Ford guy my entire life but in roughly 2011 they started to really lose their way and since then their vehicles have been ugly inside, ugly outside, made with cheap materials, and just are really behind the curve.
True but like it or not, Hybrids are gonna be the way to go in the next 5 years for trucks. We’ll see what the Tundra brings to the table in a few months. I’m sure the people ordering the new F-150 are 75% either Powerboost or 5.0 trucks.

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score

Yeah, I feel like they've stepped up their game materials wise with these 2021s, but the Ram still has the edge in ride. I like the Ram Boxes and Split tailgate as well. Reclining rear seats and HUD are also options on the Ram that aren't found on the new F-150s. Rear view mirror camera as well.

I drove a F-150 V8 and Powerboost today and was pretty impressed with both. I was in Lariat trim both times. Hmmmm ...

Kst164

Reaction score

View attachment 85212
I hope I have the same luck. Just bought a 21 4x4 big horn w the eco and 3.92 gears.

wiskyram

Reaction score
Just over 30 days (took possession March 17th) and now just under 3500 miles I'm loving this engine. 2021 Big Horn 4x4 with 3.21 rear end and I'm averaging 26.3 so far tracked on fuelly. I had a 2018 F150 with the 2.7 before this and only managed to average 19 with that over 3 years. The interior and ride are so much better as well. Very happy camper so far.

The last tank was all freeway with a pretty strong headwind the last 230 miles. Screenshot_20210420-200314_Chrome.jpg

tom318

Reaction score
Just did a trip to the upper peninsula. About 850miles round trip and the driving conditions were pretty much perfect. Some hrain coming home but only for a few minutes. Also had a strong tailwind so I don’t think I’ll be lucky enough to repeat this kind of fuel economy especially towing! Trailer wasn’t heavy, maybe 2800lbs at most. On the trip up (425miles) truck showed 22.2mpg. (Hand calc. was 21.8) now coming home the truck felt like it was coasting in 8th at 65-70mph and without resetting anything it climbed to 23.6mpg. 26F85C84-CAF4-48C9-ABC3-868D48BDF3B4.jpeg 65E9607A-CA6E-4C36-975F-BCD586B3F154.jpeg

Kroger

Reaction score
Just 6 months of ownership and 15000 miles on my Eco, now that it is starting to get broken in and out of that winter fuel season, I have seen a definite increase in mileage. Seeing around 24-27 average now.

Couldn't be Happier.

Users who are viewing this thread