5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Experience With iOS 13 Beta's Carplay

bigwidge

Reaction score
Started using iOS 13 Beta about a week before I bought my Ram. While it's extremely buggy, that is expected. It is a beta after all.

But, as the majority of you are still on iOS 12, I thought I'd share my initial thoughts on how the new changes work in our Rams.

1. The main menu is great for road trips. 13 adds a home screen that shows your navigation and music on one easy to read screen. One 1/2 of the screen is the map, with the other side has the top showing your lane guidance and beneath that your music. A nice change since I always hated having to swap in-between apps while driving.

2. Music looks cleaner. iOS 13 adds a "Dark mode", where basically any screen with white turns black. Its easy on the eyes when driving at night!

3. Glitch: When I get in my truck, I have to plug my phone in twice before Carplay registers. The first time is like it "tries" to load, the icon comes up and all, but when I select Carplay it says "Carplay loading", then it kicks out. Second plug-in always seems to stick. Hoping this is an apple beta issue and not a Ram issue.. time will tell.
*UPDATE*- The most recent beta has fixed this. Now I can plug in on the first try and Carplay kicks in instantly.

4. You can use your phone without effecting what is on Carplay. In iOS 12, even unlocking your phone and going home would remove navigation from your truck display. Now you can do whatever you want and it wont change the screen, unless you're starting navigation or what not. Texting and driving is still a big no-no, but let's admit, we all have to use our phone when driving one time or another.

5. Glitch: Sometimes my GPS signal seems to wander off. If I'm driving along a route and there is a turn upcoming, I'll make the turn and the icon will continue to drive straight. Most cases it caught up, but on two occasions I had to completely restart the navigation. Another issue is sometimes navigation will just randomly end for no reason. Happened to me twice on my way home from purchasing the truck.

As far as the glitches go, I'm sure most if not all will be fixed before the official release. If I missed anything or if you have any questions, feel free to send them my way. I'd be happy to help as best as I can. I attached a stock image of Carplay in iOS 13, but can take screenshots if needed.
29908 29909

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Started using iOS 13 Beta about a week before I bought my Ram. While it's extremely buggy, that is expected. It is a beta after all.

But, as the majority of you are still on iOS 12, I thought I'd share my initial thoughts on how the new changes work in our Rams.

1. The main menu is great for road trips. 13 adds a home screen that shows your navigation and music on one easy to read screen. One 1/2 of the screen is the map, with the other side has the top showing your lane guidance and beneath that your music. A nice change since I always hated having to swap in-between apps while driving.

2. Music looks cleaner. iOS 13 adds a "Dark mode", where basically any screen with white turns black. Its easy on the eyes when driving at night!

3. Glitch: When I get in my truck, I have to plug my phone in twice before Carplay registers. The first time is like it "tries" to load, the icon comes up and all, but when I select Carplay it says "Carplay loading", then it kicks out. Second plug-in always seems to stick. Hoping this is an apple beta issue and not a Ram issue.. time will tell.

4. You can use your phone without effecting what is on Carplay. In iOS 12, even unlocking your phone and going home would remove navigation from your truck display. Now you can do whatever you want and it wont change the screen, unless you're starting navigation or what not. Texting and driving is still a big no-no, but let's admit, we all have to use our phone when driving one time or another.

5. Glitch: Sometimes my GPS signal seems to wander off. If I'm driving along a route and there is a turn upcoming, I'll make the turn and the icon will continue to drive straight. Most cases it caught up, but on two occasions I had to completely restart the navigation. Another issue is sometimes navigation will just randomly end for no reason. Happened to me twice on my way home from purchasing the truck.

As far as the glitches go, I'm sure most if not all will be fixed before the official release. If I missed anything or if you have any questions, feel free to send them my way. I'd be happy to help as best as I can. I attached a stock image of Carplay in iOS 13, but can take screenshots if needed.
View attachment 29908 View attachment 29909
Great info...thank you! I’d be interested in seeing screenshots of dark mode, other apps (e.g. Google Maps) in split-screen, etc. as you have time.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Great info...thank you! I’d be interested in seeing screenshots of dark mode, other apps (e.g. Google Maps) in split-screen, etc. as you have time.
I'll try to take some later. I am also on iOS 13, and thus far it has been great. The best feature in my opinion, is being able to use the phone with other apps without affecting CarPlay. That's huge.

Cheers,

ppowell1983

Reaction score
It’s a great write up, I’m extremely excited to use CarPlay 13. It’s as exciting as when Apple let you use Waze on CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwidge

Reaction score
I'll try to take some later. I am also on iOS 13, and thus far it has been great. The best feature in my opinion, is being able to use the phone with other apps without affecting CarPlay. That's huge.

Cheers,

Do you have any issues getting CarPlay to load up when you first plug it in? I normally have to plug mine in twice before it sticks.

Lize

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to share this, looks good (y)
I also find it slightly annoying changing apps away from nav to restart or skip a music track so this looks great.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Do you have any issues getting CarPlay to load up when you first plug it in? I normally have to plug mine in twice before it sticks.
Not anymore. Almost. Maybe one in ten I have to plug twice, if that often.

Users who are viewing this thread