5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My buddy just bought a 2020 ecodiesel

Firebird

Reaction score
What a sweet truck! That 3.0 is quiet and silky smooth. It drives very well, and I really like the midrange torque, it is not a dog in traffic at all. I could easily see owning one again. I had a first year 2014 eco diesel, but ended up back in a Cummins.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m really surprised to hear as it didn’t seem to be getting that great of a review.

Firebird

Reaction score
I’m really surprised to hear as it didn’t seem to be getting that great of a review.

I’m not really sure why the bad press, the truck drives and performs very well.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
What a sweet truck! That 3.0 is quiet and silky smooth. It drives very well, and I really like the midrange torque, it is not a dog in traffic at all. I could easily see owning one again. I had a first year 2014 eco diesel, but ended up back in a Cummins.
Always prefer to read a true azz in seat review as opposed to 95% of the crap on YouTube. Most of those snowflakes shooting videos don't have a clue as to what they are talking about...

Firebird

Reaction score
Drove his truck again. Compared to my 1st generation ED, this new motor is definitely more refined. The torque through the mid-range power band is much stronger also. It's not a Hemi, but the changes they made are a very nice improvement!

It still has some of that turbo diesel lag out of the hole, but it's not terribly bad. The engine is silent on the interstate while cruising. Compared to my 2014, it's the torque that's so noticable, it just has it where it's needed.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove his truck again. Compared to my 1st generation ED, this new motor is definitely more refined. The torque through the mid-range power band is much stronger also. It's not a Hemi, but the changes they made are a very nice improvement!

It still has some of that turbo diesel lag out of the hole, but it's not terribly bad. The engine is silent on the interstate while cruising. Compared to my 2014, it's the torque that's so noticable, it just has it where it's needed.

That is all really good to hear. I really wanted an ED, but I couldn't pass up the June fire sale (when the ED wasn't out yet). Now I am really looking forward to hearing about how they run with a GDE tune. I am definitely thinking I will be trading my current 1500 for an ED in a year or two, once they've had time to figure out if it has any real bugs, and fix them.

Firebird

Reaction score
That is all really good to hear. I really wanted an ED, but I couldn't pass up the June fire sale (when the ED wasn't out yet). Now I am really looking forward to hearing about how they run with a GDE tune. I am definitely thinking I will be trading my current 1500 for an ED in a year or two, once they've had time to figure out if it has any real bugs, and fix them.

I'm thinking the exact same thing myself.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the big day for me....Going from a mildy massaged '17 Grand Cherokee SRT to a new Limited ED!

Geeezzz...After rereading this....It appears I might actually be growing up a little?!?!?!....Naaaah......

spaightlabs

Reaction score
I hope you love the heck out of your ED. I had a 2017 ED - made it a year and traded back to a Semi- could not deal with the turbo lag in city traffic.

wayn0r

Reaction score
Picked up my Rebel ED two weeks ago. Enjoying every bit of it so far. Getting 26mpg on the highway and 22mpg in stop and go city traffic.

There’s a little bit of diesel clutter when the engine is cold in the morning but otherwise hardly noticeable that it’s a diesel.

Diesel123

Reaction score

will be a while or possibly never for GDE tuned “gen 3“ ecodiesel - as I think they have closed up shop in the US recently with the EPA crackdown on tuners.

I would love to get back into a reliable Ecodiesel too, but holding out now for the new cybertruck.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
What little turbo lag some of the gen 2 EDs had was easily and cheaply resolved with throttle commander or better yet a tune. It may be a year before anyone has an EPA compliant tune for the gen 3. Canadian or off shore countries may come out with a better non EPA compliant tuner sooner. Guess time will tell.

A battery truck would work great for in town deliveries and such where it can get plugged into upon return and or every night. But I live just off I-70 across from a charging station and often see Tesla's come in on flatbeds to get charged. I talked to the tow truck driver at they diesel pump and he said they are like phone batteries eventually they don't last as long as they used to and their range gets less.

Last edited:

wayn0r

Reaction score
Just returned from a 250 mile road trip. Average was 27.8 mpg. Highway and mixed driving. Strong headwind coming home this morning. Could not be happier with the results!

One thing I noticed so far: I filled up the DEF and it looks like it spills when driving and runs out of the fuel cap area. Have you experienced anything similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyresmoker

Reaction score
One thing I noticed so far: I filled up the DEF and it looks like it spills when driving and runs out of the fuel cap area. Have you experienced anything similar?

Just checked...nothing. Dry as a bone. Is it possible that you might have overfilled it by adding DEF? I read in the manual (yes, I am that guy) that it has a pretty ample reserve at the top of the tank. In other words, it will read "full" for an extended period of time before reading usage.

Mikent

Reaction score

I had a GMC Canyon Diesel, one of the local dealerships over filled the DEF tank, the result was white crystals that seems to reappear (over and over) after i rinsed the truck. i ended up going to a car wash, making sure both the DEF and fuel filler cap were good and snug and power washed with soap then fresh water for a few minutes, that finally solved the problem. DEF causes a real mess when it’s spilled. After the dealership experience I always filled my tank with DEF.

Pino F

Reaction score
I picked up my ed limited ten days ago and drove home from dealership 620 miles one way. I averaged 29.8 miles per gallon, part of the trip was in traffic about 100 miles the rest doing anywhere from 55 to 75 mph. I absolutely love it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread