5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2020 RAM 1500 DT Order: This is how it's supposed to work

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI for those wondering how a factory order is supposed to go...

After waiting for many months, I ordered a 2020 1500 DT Laramie Crew cab from Ourisman CDJ RAM in Clarksville MD. The ordering manager, Jacob, was fantastic - don't think I could have improved on his work.

Here's how it went:

ORDER:
I ordered this January, and the order was negotiated / arranged on the phone, and sealed with my only visit before delivery. Order was documented on three pages:
- a Configuration Preview, which was printed from their ordering system, and contained all the details of the ordered vehicle. When RAM's system accepted the order two days later, they emailed me a copy of the Priced Order Confirmation (POC), which looked just like the Configuration Preview, with a few more bits of info (like estimated ship date, VON, and later VIN, etc).

- an Order/Deposit Confirmation, which was a dealer-developed sheet that had me sign in a couple of spots, confirming I understood what the $1000 deposit was for, that I was due at least 3k in factory incentives, that delivery could take from X to Y weeks or more, that if i canceled the order, they would keep my deposit until the ordered car was delivered and sold, etc.

- a draft deal sheet, which listed the MSRP, the negotiated price, the estimated taxes and tags, estimated incentives, deposit, and amount due. And I got a receipt for the credit card deposit.

WAITING:
1/11/20: Order ($1000 deposit, SOLD ORDER PROTECTED, Scheduling Priority 1, $3k minimum guaranteed incentives)
1/13/20: VON
1/14/20: D - VIN
1/24/20: D1 - scheduled with 2/6 estimated ship date, Build Priority 1
2/05/20: D1 - unchanged
2/06/20: FRAME, PAINT (build sheet and window sticker not yet available)
2/07/20: TRIM...BODY VENDOR (build sheet available, no window sticker)
2/08/20: BODY VENDOR...SHIPPED/INVOICED (guessing KZ, no window sticker, estimated delivery to dealer 2/18/20)
2/09/20: SHIPPED/INVOICED (window sticker available)
2/10/20: TRUCK SHIP (somewhere in Toledo; ETA 2/14)
2/11/20: DELIVERED TO DEALER (in prep; available for pickup at end of the day)
2/12/20: Test drive b4 Boy Scouts; not enough time to take delivery; couple minor items
2/14/20: picked up, 3 hours at the dealer; 5.5k incentives, Happy Valentine's Day TO ME !

DELIVERY:
- Test drive started with a stop at the gas station, and many gallons later, filled. Some highway, a little back roads, feature review. Nice.
- Pay attention to vibe at 60mph - mine did a very slight bit, and i can live with it at the current level. If yours does it in a significant way, get them to work it.
- Actually, anything that needs doing that's serious, get done before finishing the paperwork. Paint, missing features, things that you'd not live with, things they could claim you did on the ride home, should be done before delivery, not thru a We Owe promise. I got lucky.
- Had to come back couple days later to finish the paperwork and actually pick it up. Took a couple hours, as there was some confusion between what RAMchat told me, and what the dealer's system was letting them do. Turned out RAMchat got their facts wrong.
- Worked down an abbreviated version of the Delivery Checklist posted elsewhere on this site (thx!). Had two minor items documented on the We Owe sheet.
- F&I was the usual, with all the optional maintenance, warranties, insurance, etc offered. Dana was pleasant and honest and we got thru it. He actually fixed a twenty-some dollar mistake in the estimated deal sheet, in my favor. Do what makes sense for you, including outside financing (or subsequent refinancing in my case, so I got the incentives and a better rate). Asked them match the warranty offer I got from Zeigler, and he showed me that they couldn't. But otherwise, straightforward.
- John, who was helping Jacob, did the required walkthru, pairing, etc, and we talked Jeep, Farm Truck, 24Hr of LeMons (spelled correctly - check it out), etc.
- Drove home.

EPILOGUE:
- would highly recommend Jacob, John and Ourisman CDJR in Clarksville MD. And for me to recommend ANY dealer, (with high standards, i can be a particular PITA), is saying something.
- truck got nicknamed the Red Dragon, now Lil' Red, 'cause it AINT LITTLE. Coming out of a Frontier, which I loved, it's a world apart, in size (OMG) and creature comforts (OMGx2).
- decided it's definitely an American truck; which means its brawny, looks good, neat in some ways, crude in others, and will never be perfect, but will get the job done.
- hoping all the i-talian gremlins that you can find called out on this site, from some other's less-than-wonderful experience, somehow skip over my truck. So far, lovin' it.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck! You got it pretty quick. Although, even that short amount of time would kill me waiting for it. Once I decide to buy I actually lose sleep until the deal is done LOL. I was ready to order but was able to fine one on a lot with the features I wanted. It wasn't the color I would have ordered it in, but I'm really digging the Patriot Blue Pearl now that I have it. Thanks for sharing your ordering experience!

Reactions: cj7

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck! You got it pretty quick. Although, even that short amount of time would kill me waiting for it. Once I decide to buy I actually lose sleep until the deal is done LOL. I was ready to order but was able to fine one on a lot with the features I wanted. It wasn't the color I would have ordered it in, but I'm really digging the Patriot Blue Pearl now that I have it. Thanks for sharing your ordering experience!
I had a tough time choosing between the Patriot Blue and Delmonico Red - you chose well! Congrats on yours too!

Last edited:

Lovegolf44

Reaction score
I hope there are dealer/RAM incentives when my truck is finally delivered. I was going to buy a 2500 off the lot and then the tranny recall happened and they couldn't sell it to me. After researching towing capabilities, I decided to order a 3500. I think the dealership was a little unhappy about me not taking the 2500 when they had the recall scheduled to be fixed and reluctantly ordered what I want. The invoice reflects MSRP and Invoice pricing and my feeling is they won't apply jack for discounts even if there are any available when the truck is finally delivered, which I estimate to be in the late Apr-mid-May time frame assuming they have the 68RFE fix implemented in assembly. I'll certainly press them about discounts but who knows what. if any there will be when I'm expected to take delivery and pay for my truck.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck! I had a decidedly different experience with Ourisman. I called on a Friday to confirm the location of a specific truck (their web site said Clarksville but the photos showed Bowie - trucks get moved, I get it, that's why I called ahead).

On Saturday, while running errands with my wife and 2 small kids (ie, in car seats), we stopped there and the salesman couldn't have been less prepared or helpful. First he said the truck I had called about was sold, then later retconned that to the truck was at the other dealer (then why the heck did I bother calling ahead?), then he brought out a long bed truck (I specifically wanted to drive a short bed). The gas tank was darn-near empty, so he went back inside and got a fuel voucher, we drove to a gas station... and he had the wrong voucher. Short test drive (1 mile) and then back to the dealership. My wife was less than pleased, and she hates vehicle shopping to begin with.

Then, he asked what he could do to put me in that truck today. I just about laughed the whole way out of that dealership.

Glad your experience worked out well!

-John

Reactions: cj7

Users who are viewing this thread