5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2019 Rebel review

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's here! and I have my thoughts ready!
I ordered 10/25, it arrived 12/5.

RebelSun.png

Buildsheet is in my signature! Technically yet it is two tone, and it didn't take 15 weeks.
Note before I start: I came from a Gen4 Rebel with air suspension, a vehicle I really, really liked.

Driving it:
- The 4th generation air suspension was excellent, the gen4 rebel rode "like a Cadillac" only it was ~6,000lbs and had 4x4 on real A/T tires.
This 5th gen has their spring suspension, and I'm going to say they're equal thusfar. That makes me believe that the 5th gen air suspension on the ultra-high end trims are ridiculous. If the "offroad" package is a 10/10, the step beyond has to be ridiculous.
- I think this transmission's programming is much smarter. There's less "clunk and chunk" for sure, there is no hunting for gears, none, zero. Not, "it's not that bad" or "I barely notice it", no, I don't notice it, at all. Thusfar I do not have the transmission pause of doom.
I feel terrible for the guys that do, but perhaps, as of November 2018, they might have fixed it.
- It's too quiet! The exhaust I mean. (I come from a Borla XR1 modded exhaust in the last truck) The cabin is much quieter, and there is a slight amount of exhaust, it has a very industrial sound, between like 10mph and 40mph.
- I did notice the slightly longer wheelbase from the 4th gen, but nothing too bad.

Fit and Finish:
- Oh my god. Let me say it again. Oh my god.
The 4th gen's interior was the nicest (non-luxury car) interior of the friends, the fit and finish on the parts in the vehicle are great. Everything feels tight, the finishes chosen on the part - it just feels high end and well built. The buttons are very tactile, the knobs feel right. The doors are light, the tailgate is light, but closing the door has that satisfying sound to it that makes you think, "this is a quality machine."
- The plastic trim around the ramboxes seems really on there. On my 4th gen a car wash once pulled a piece off, this thing, everything seems nailed down.
The ram boxes seem very high quality guys. I keep using those words but it's an impression I get the more I keep looking at parts and pieces in this truck

Payload doorsticker
- 1308lbs

"MPG?"
- About 13mpg. Allll city, and hills, and traffic lights.
These tires are new (and have some noise), and the engine is breaking in.

"Anything wrong with it?"
- I think my seatbelts might be wet? It might be from the detailing that took place 20min before I drove it off?
Unfortunately I'll have to wait to the next rainstorm to find out.

"Sound system, is it took quiet?"
- No, very satisfied with the upgraded sound.

"Is the heating/cooling off?"
- Nope, it can get very hot, very fast! That heated steering wheel is no joke. Wow.

"Would you do anything different?"
- Options wise? No. It will need step rails eventually, and a new exhaust, and maybe a bed step? But other than that, I'm beyond pleased.
- It does NOT have start stop from what I can tell? I'm surprised, I thought the hemis had them!
No start stop, and I'm very happy about that!

The bottom line:
- It's well thought out, well made, and it has exceeded my expectations!
Given the choice, there's not another truck out there that I would want for my budget, desires, and tastes

Last edited:

th3duke

Reaction score
Nice review, and very happy it met (or exceeded) your expectations - I really love my new Rebel, RAM definitely hit it out of the park with this trim IMO.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice review, and very happy it met (or exceeded) your expectations - I really love my new Rebel, RAM definitely hit it out of the park with this trim IMO.

They really did!
I can get a FACTORY lifted 4x4 (with warranty), with real all-terrain tires, real ones, with a rear locker, for under 60k VERY nicely loaded.
A large displacement V8 designed for use in a truck with no start-stop.
It doesn't have a lot of chrome on it either.
To MY tastes, I'm very, very happy.

Forgot to add, so these brakes are amazing? And they really, really hit it out of the park on the shocks.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear a 4th to 5th gen rebel review

The start stop is only on the e-torque engine btw

Gotcha on the start/stop, gotcha.
It's yet another thing I like about this truck.

I really loved that 4th gen truck too, but the more I drive the 5th gen, the more I really love it.
Thusfar I prefer the ride of gen5, and I had nothing but nice things to say about the ride on the 4th gen.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great review ! This new truck is very refined. I have a mint loaded 2004 Dodge Cummins diesel 2500 4x4 Laramie quad cab with all options and accessories (top of line then) with only 63,000 original miles, and this 19 Rebel half ton can haul almost as much, tow almost as much, ride smoooooother and handle much nimbler and track road flawlessly straight. And when I put 32" Toyo's on 20" wheels (on old truck) without any lifting it slightly rubs front tires. Its fuel mileage is maybe 18 at best as it weighs 7500#. Front tires have 4900# on them and power steering struggles to turn tires if you aren't moving. Steering always wandered .....And I loved this truck since I drove it off of dealers lot. The new loaded Rebel is like light years advanced from that 2004. It comes with 33" Goodyear Duratracs right out of factory with no clearance issues and power steering easily handles their mass..... And old truck was quite refined with the quieter high output diesel (305 hp 555 ft lbs torque) and enhanced 48re transmission as previous trans had issues. .....And this 2019 Hemi wants to go! Can't wait for my Magnaflow cat-back to arrive!!!! .....need some thunder to make it perfect! I added some pics of new ride. Its like having a Jeep, towing/hauling truck, performance car, and luxury SUV with lots of crash protection all rolled into one vehicle.....and you could live in giant back seat if Momma kicks you out. Who cares if it eats more fuel than they promised us? It's doing job of 4 vehicles.... lol :ROFLMAO: IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3296.JPG IMG_3294.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/