5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-function Tailgate install

lasani1121

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the multi-function tailgate can be replaced and installed on a 2019 rebel with the regular tailgate? Dealer service dept's don't have an answer.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It can be but it's not just about taking one tailgate off and putting the new one on, you are going to have to get the whole bed.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if that's true. The MFT has a lower bar that connects to the pivot points on the bed, just like the regular tailgate. The swing out option latches to that lower bar. The upper sections latch onto the same latch points as a regular tailgate.

I looked at one last week and it appears that the entire MFT system can be installed on any regular width bed. You can see the lower section, and the side section in this pic.

ram-multifunction-tailgate-1.jpg

grimloktt

Reaction score
I read that the bed is engineered differently to support the tailgate. You may be able to find information on this with Google.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I have a MFT and from what I can tell the difference is that there are corner braces in the front corners of the bed to probably help keep it square.

I can also tell you that the MFT is a pretty great feature, so much easier to get stuff in and out of the bed.

637fd082f9a684021e8277e2b595cc50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdager

Reaction score
Could be a straight swap with a Rambox bed, as there is already additional structure there. Not sure about a standard bed though.

Users who are viewing this thread