5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler replace

vpRider

Reaction score
Any recommendation for a new muffler on a 2019 Rebel? Want the aggressive sound but don’t want a bunch of cab drone. Thanks!

jamesfg

Reaction score
I got a Flowmaster knock off from my preferred exhaust shop. Minimal drone but that's the price you pay if ya wanna play

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Try a good cold air intake first. I have always gone with a muffler swap. But this time I did the cai first and am happy with the sounds it has unleashed. Ahh maybe I’m just Getting old.

Attachments

• B2247D52-50C7-4905-AAD1-F6B0AC6B3D88.jpeg
    B2247D52-50C7-4905-AAD1-F6B0AC6B3D88.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 220

vpRider

Reaction score
Try a good cold air intake first. I have always gone with a muffler swap. But this time I did the cai first and am happy with the sounds it has unleashed. Ahh maybe I’m just Getting old.
What kind of cia did you go with? Did you notice any MPG or HP gain?

jamesfg

Reaction score
It's a flowmaster knockoff made in Mexico, I have no idea what model it's supposed to mimic.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Vararam, A company in Tx. They have dyno results on there web site which show gains in both HP and twist. seat of the pants says yes, but that could just be me liking the growl.

Ramajama

Reaction score
I have put 14” Magnafow on my past 4th gen RAMs and loved it. Not too loud, not too quiet and the drone was minimal, although noticeable. Like has been said, you can’t have both.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey OP I have a rebel on order and I'm looking at exhausts now. There are a bunch of exhaust games in town, and it's highly subjective taste based thing! If you're asking me for my opinion? I'm a borla guy. I have an XR1 on my 4th gen ram, and I've had tons of fun with it.
I'll never forget the first time I passed some dope in a prius on the highway when he finally moved out of the passing lane. Wide open throttle too.
"GODS I WAS STRONG THENN."

I'm leaving very heavily toward borla systems - as GM has sold their touring system and supposedly the mopar kit on the 5.7 Ram is a rebranded borla.

Borla has 3 levels.
ATAK for the guy who has to show the kid next door with the Honda who is boss
S-type is supposed to be their bread and butter
Touring is their "sleeper system." for people who want their neighbors to like them. It's supposed to be better flowing than stock (has that performance tech), a little more noise than stock, and wakes up when you stomp on it.

They claim no drone with any of their systems - but if you're looking for one that's fun without drone, I guess I'd go touring. One of the guys on this board had a GM with cylinder displacement (8 to 4) on a GMC I think, a 6.2L He liked the touring setup on that, no drone.

This week we're expecting to see a comparison video from borla with their 3 exhausts.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Hey OP I have a rebel on order and I'm looking at exhausts now. There are a bunch of exhaust games in town, and it's highly subjective taste based thing! If you're asking me for my opinion? I'm a borla guy. I have an XR1 on my 4th gen ram, and I've had tons of fun with it.
I'll never forget the first time I passed some dope in a prius on the highway when he finally moved out of the passing lane. Wide open throttle too.
"GODS I WAS STRONG THENN."

I'm leaving very heavily toward borla systems - as GM has sold their touring system and supposedly the mopar kit on the 5.7 Ram is a rebranded borla.

Borla has 3 levels.
ATAK for the guy who has to show the kid next door with the Honda who is boss
S-type is supposed to be their bread and butter
Touring is their "sleeper system." for people who want their neighbors to like them. It's supposed to be better flowing than stock (has that performance tech), a little more noise than stock, and wakes up when you stomp on it.

They claim no drone with any of their systems - but if you're looking for one that's fun without drone, I guess I'd go touring. One of the guys on this board had a GM with cylinder displacement (8 to 4) on a GMC I think, a 6.2L He liked the touring setup on that, no drone.

This week we're expecting to see a comparison video from borla with their 3 exhausts.
Had Borla on my 16 Silverado that was tuned in conjunction with GM and it was a nice sound. However they are expensive. IMO, the best bang for my buck is Magnaflow (had it on previous Rams). Just finished installing their 19430 catback today. In a word, Wow! Whatever you choose, let us know.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had Borla on my 16 Silverado that was tuned in conjunction with GM and it was a nice sound. However they are expensive. IMO, the best bang for my buck is Magnaflow (had it on previous Rams). Just finished installing their 19430 catback today. In a word, Wow! Whatever you choose, let us know.

Interesting, so you've had both?

Can I ask a bazillion questions, boiled down into 4??
1) which system is louder.
2) how is the borla's coldstart in cold weather? How does the MFs compare - initial impression?
3) how would you describe them sound wise?
Ex: the MF is more ____, the borla is more _____
4) lets say money was no object, which wouls you get?

RenoRam

Reaction score
Interesting, so you've had both?

Can I ask a bazillion questions, boiled down into 4??
1) which system is louder.
2) how is the borla's coldstart in cold weather? How does the MFs compare - initial impression?
3) how would you describe them sound wise?
Ex: the MF is more ____, the borla is more _____
4) lets say money was no object, which wouls you get?
To be fair, I've had the MF on Rams and the Borla on a Silverado. With that stated, I am seeking to be impartial if possible. Answers below.
1. MF is louder imo but not in a bad way.
2. I've not experienced issues with either in cold weather.
3. IMO the MF has a deeper sound that is fit for a V8 more than Borla.
4. MF. Money was not the deciding factor for me even though I saved about $500 by choosing MF. The deciding factor for me was my previous experience with both catbacks. Dont get me wrong, Borla is a great system but for me, MF checked all of the boxes.

In the end, you have to be happy with your selection and only you can know what will check all of the boxes for you.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be fair, I've had the MF on Rams and the Borla on a Silverado. With that stated, I am seeking to be impartial if possible. Answers below.
1. MF is louder imo but not in a bad way.
2. I've not experienced issues with either in cold weather.
3. IMO the MF has a deeper sound that is fit for a V8 more than Borla.
4. MF. Money was not the deciding factor for me even though I saved about $500 by choosing MF. The deciding factor for me was my previous experience with both catbacks. Dont get me wrong, Borla is a great system but for me, MF checked all of the boxes.

In the end, you have to be happy with your selection and only you can know what will check all of the boxes for you.

Thank you for answering good man, I have one more, it's alright if you're all typed-out I won't be offended

Cold start clarifying:
- So the hemi that we all know and love, after it's been sitting a little while, the cold start really has a good amount of bark to it.
With my borla XR1 it reallly opened a can of whoop-a$$. Don't get me wrong, in the right mood that was the coolest thing ever comets like having a thunder cloud that starts on your key fob.
"Problem": leaving a friends house at 2am and you're parked in front of the neighbors.
It's a 20degree day with frost on the frontyards about to carry that sound too.
*click, click*
"OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" roars the hemi for a good 20seconds.

Hence my asking, if the borla or MF has a more subdued coldstart!

RenoRam

Reaction score
I would have to say that in my experience, the Borla is more subdued. There is also a 10% off Borla today only at AutoAnything.com

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would have to say that in my experience, the Borla is more subdued. There is also a 10% off Borla today only at AutoAnything.com

Damn I don't see it on the site!

Thank you for sharing your experience man. I'm thinking I generally like the sound/tone of the borla systems, but if I don't go that direction I'm happy to know the other options are pretty damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread