5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving on from 2019 Limited.

bfp9

Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 Limited black on black w/tow package in Nov 2018 as I was coming back from overseas. Thankfully, a life long family friend of my parents who owns the dealership gave me a screaming deal so I wired the cash sight unseen.

Now with 28,6XX miles on the truck - I thought I would share with you all some insights into the truck that I hope prospective buyers will find useful - if not, let this thread die and maybe it will serve someone well at some point!

MISTAKES I MADE:
-DO NOT GET THE TOW PACKAGE. The mirrors are awful. Switching to the better looking, more functional mirrors requires $1200 on an already $65k truck. Adding a brake controller is easier, cheaper, and less invasive than doing the mirrors.
-23 Gallon Tank will result in major headaches on road trips, and especially when towing. Do not settle for the 23 gallon tank. Get the 33 mile tank. I was getting 300ish miles per tank when I was doing primarily city driving. My AVG MPG over the life of the truck is 13.1.
-Replace the Stock Bridgestone tires ASAP if your truck is still equipped with them. I blew out 3, yes you read that right, 3 in the first 5600 miles of driving.
-I put 305/60/R20 K02s onto the stock Limited wheels and NEVER was able to get rid of a shimmy in the truck after 20k miles of driving. It turned out to be 2 slightly bent wheels that were deemed manufacturer defect - neither of which were identified by the dealers after 5 trips. It was identified by an independent shop who road force balanced the wheels for me. That was $150 out of my pocket to identify an issue a dealership should 100% be able to identify.
-NEVER, EVER, EVER trust a dealership. I have 2 other cars. A BMW M5, and a Volkswagen Golf R - both go to the dealership for work and I have NEVER had worse experiences with dealerships than I did with Dodge. I move frequently for work. I have used 4 different dealers. Every. Single. One. Was. Horrible.

THE GOOD:
-The interior is nicer than any truck on the market, hands down.
-The Air Suspension is an absolute treat when towing. I've towed up to 9k lbs with the truck and it was fantastic. Towed from Austin, TX to South Carolina through the Smokey Mountains with the 9k lb trailer and never skipped a beat.
-The 3.92 rear end makes this thing a deceptively quick vehicle from 0-30 - absolutely need to rotate tires every 5k miles to keep even wear.
-The lights. The headlights are wild how much light they output. I don't know that I've been in a vehicle with better headlights.
-I did the Level kit - both links and daystar spacers, and it made the truck look the way it should from the factory, while still maintaining factory ride quality. Highly, highly recommend. I installed myself and it was really simple.
-Hellwig Sway bar will transform the way the truck drives. Do it. Took me 15 mins to install.
-Pedal Commander is also a must. Some of the worst throttle input/lag I've experienced in a stock vehicle without it.

MAINTENANCE:
-7 total trips to the dealer. Total time lost at the dealer: about 14 days without my truck, possibly more.
-Most serious issue: Truck would not fuel up as the emergency valve in the filler neck was faulty - took the dealer a full week to diagnose, fix, and give me the truck back - only to give it back to me with 9 miles on the tank and the nearest gas station was 21 miles. So I had to wait for their parts runner to bring me a gas can. By the time I realized it, I was too far away. My fault for not checking the fuel as I got in - I figured that they would have fueled the truck up with a little more gas than that to check their work and make sure it was filling properly - guess not.
-Annoyances: Rattles. I had to turn the sub down all the way as the truck rattled like a can of marbles in the rear, both the rear window surround, and something in the backseat area.
-Oil Changes are a NIGHTMARE on this truck. Good lord.

Would I get another Dodge Truck? No.
Did I enjoy the truck when it wasn't shimmying? Absolutely.
Will I miss the utility of having a truck? Everyone has told me, you don't realize how useful a truck is until its gone. Time will tell, but I have a feeling it will be missed for the functionality of loading the bed up with stuff for friends/family.

I thoroughly enjoyed this forum - there is a wealth of knowledge here that is fantastic. I fully intend on staying here and checking out the adventures of members and their trucks.

-Ben

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good report. Sorrynit didn’t work out but younare being honest about what you liked and didn’t like and for whatever reasons it doesn’t fit your needs any longer. That’s ok, we have choices thankfully. Sounds like other than a shimmy, someone will pick up a nicely leveled and most bugs worked out truck from you.

good to hear the tow report, and yes it’s “criminal” so to speak for dealers to order a truck for towing and skip the bigger tank. That’s a definite no-go. And yes, you were one of the early ones who ordered/bought before it was well known that tow mirrors don’t power fold. I don’t remember how many threads and posts there were about that goof on RAM’s side, but there it seemed like a lot and it royally peed owners off for quite a bit.

Sounds like the e-torque and 3.92’s did what you needed it to do as a tow vehicle, that‘s also good to hear. Same with your experiences on having installed the pedal commander and hellwig stabilizer. By the way, how was your experience with the 12” screen? Any issues? Air suspension? How about level 1 with the cameras and the HK sound system, did you have that as well?

Yep, people who change their own oil are still trying to get the filter off without making a mess. That’s still a topic. I am lazy and take it inon cheap coupons (3/$99 or so).

Do appreciate your report and responses. Good luck with whatever you move onto, even if it’s just keeping what you have now.

bfp9

Reaction score
Good report. Sorrynit didn’t work out but younare being honest about what you liked and didn’t like and for whatever reasons it doesn’t fit your needs any longer. That’s ok, we have choices thankfully. Sounds like other than a shimmy, someone will pick up a nicely leveled and most bugs worked out truck from you.

good to hear the tow report, and yes it’s “criminal” so to speak for dealers to order a truck for towing and skip the bigger tank. That’s a definite no-go. And yes, you were one of the early ones who ordered/bought before it was well known that tow mirrors don’t power fold. I don’t remember how many threads and posts there were about that goof on RAM’s side, but there it seemed like a lot and it royally peed owners off for quite a bit.

Sounds like the e-torque and 3.92’s did what you needed it to do as a tow vehicle, that‘s also good to hear. Same with your experiences on having installed the pedal commander and hellwig stabilizer. By the way, how was your experience with the 12” screen? Any issues? Air suspension? How about level 1 with the cameras and the HK sound system, did you have that as well?

Yep, people who change their own oil are still trying to get the filter off without making a mess. That’s still a topic. I am lazy and take it inon cheap coupons (3/$99 or so).

Do appreciate your report and responses. Good luck with whatever you move onto, even if it’s just keeping what you have now.
Shimmy has been fixed. I couldn't sell the truck with the Shimmy still present. Thankfully, the new owner is getting a nice truck that will hopefully have the kinks worked out.

I never had any issues with the 12'' screen other than the Dealer repeatedly telling me there was no software update for the Navigation system that never once during my ownership showing as "online". HK sound system is a weird one. Sounds clean to me, but I'm also not an authority on sound quality. I like my Bang and Olufsen headphones - sound fantastic - but car audio is not my forte. I didn't have any of the cameras besides the rear view camera.

BigD

Reaction score
I have that same rattle in the back when the bass is turned up. Not sure if it's the window or something in the headliner ? It rattles no matter if the slider is open or closed.

STR

Reaction score
...-23 Gallon Tank will result in major headaches on road trips, and especially when towing. Do not settle for the 23 gallon tank. Get the 33 mile tank. I was getting 300ish miles per tank when I was doing primarily city driving. My AVG MPG over the life of the truck is 13.1...
-Ben
It comes with a 26 gallon gas tank, not 23... Yes, the optional 33 gallon gas tank would be better for long trips. All vehicles have issues. Hopefully your next one will be better.

BigD

Reaction score
It comes with a 26 gallon gas tank, not 23... Yes, the optional 33 gallon gas tank would be better for long trips. All vehicles have issues. Hopefully your next one will be better.
I actually heard the 5.7 with etorque gets the 23 gallon tank & non - etorque gets the 26 gallon

Reactions: STR

STR

Reaction score
I actually heard the 5.7 with etorque gets the 23 gallon tank & non - etorque gets the 26 gallon
OK. Stand corrected... my 2020 Rebel (non-eTQ) came with a standard 26. 23 is pretty lame for a full size truck. It was probably to reduce weight to eek out an extra MPG for CAFE compliance... or marketing. Pg 3 of my build sheet:
64670237-5F09-40E1-9162-3172BBEF37B4.png

STR

Reaction score
^^^ OK. Stand corrected retracted... ha.

Edit: Maybe the V6 does... or not.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a terribly confusing configuration issue. On the Longhorn and Limited, the 26-gal tank is standard (eTorque or not). On the Laramie, you need the Level 2 package to get the 26-gal tank with eTorque (for no obvious reason). Or just opt for the 33-gal in all situations ;)

bfp9

Reaction score
So OP what are you replacing the 1500 with?

I have a 2018 Volkswagen Golf R that’s stage 1 tuned and is a ton of fun to drive and gets 27mpg so I’m going to stick with this, and rent a truck at Uhaul whenever I need one.

Also I may have confused the tank gallon - I will say I’ve only ever been able to put 22.98 gallons into the tank on the truck even when it was reading 0 on the range.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Volkswagen Golf R that’s stage 1 tuned and is a ton of fun to drive and gets 27mpg so I’m going to stick with this, and rent a truck at Uhaul whenever I need one.

Also I may have confused the tank gallon - I will say I’ve only ever been able to put 22.98 gallons into the tank on the truck even when it was reading 0 on the range.
If you were able to get 23 gallons in it, you likely had the 26-gallon tank. I have the 33-gal tank, and I think I've only put 31 gallons in it once. I've never been close to 33!

Thanks for sharing your experiences (pros and cons).

bfp9

Reaction score
If you were able to get 23 gallons in it, you likely had the 26-gallon tank. I have the 33-gal tank, and I think I've only put 31 gallons in it once. I've never been close to 33!

Thanks for sharing your experiences (pros and cons).
Well add that to the category of Today I learned!

Appreciate you clearing that up for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're moving on. Sounds like you did the hard work of getting the bugs worked out of it, and someone else will benefit from your sacrifice.

It’s a terribly confusing configuration issue. On the Longhorn and Limited, the 26-gal tank is standard (eTorque or not). On the Laramie, you need the Level 2 package to get the 26-gal tank with eTorque (for no obvious reason). Or just opt for the 33-gal in all situations ;)

Wish I would have known I was getting a 23 gallon tank on my Laramie CC. I was assuming it was the 26 gallon tank, which is at least what I was used to from owning a 2017 Rebel. I have a range of just over 300 miles, and it seems like I'm having to fill up every couple of days. I might just set up a tent in the parking lot of my favorite gas station and live there during the week. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Boston

Reaction score
Ford does 23 or 36 gallon. Perhaps we can go from Torque and towing ratings to fuel gallon size.

Users who are viewing this thread