5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mother Nature PUMMELED my RAM!!!

geotex1

Reaction score
Guys and Gals, I'm absolutely sick to my stomach... I live in the area of Pennsylvania where fierce, tornadic storms ripped through last night, May 29th. Our home, our property (landscaping, trees), tractor/garden shed, travel trailer, Yukon XL, my 4th Gen Dually, and my 5th Gen 1500 were all beat down and ruined by the hail, winds and flying debris! To give you a sense, premium top-of-the-line vinyl siding that was sun-warmed and pliable was blown right through by the hail! In fact, hail blew right through my travel trailer sidewall, which is made from a laminated wood-fiberglass composite!!! My home is only 4 years old and will need half the windows replaced, full re-siding/soffits/fascia/gutters, and a new roof. Same with the 1 year-old shed plus its overhead door.
Landscaping my wife and I have been building for 3 years is devastated.
Everything on the roof of our camper was destroyed or torn off, water poured through the broken skylight and roof vents, and the hail even knocked the exterior lights off and punched holes in the ~6" of exposed awning that remains when stowed. Every single body panel and trim piece on the Yukon, dually and 5th Gen has hail damage. I know one of the best in the PDR business, and he's coming out to evaluate and appraise on Saturday, but he fears that some of the overlapping hail dings will force traditional body work and paint. I know this is going to be a long, rough battle with my insurance given the age of the Yukon, regardless of being pristine; the camper since they don't hold their value; the house because the siding color has been discontinued; and, finally the RAM to make it as perfect as it should be for only 5K on it...

Some may think this ridiculous, but I'm running through my head how to fix things and get back on level... However, we engineers are problem-solvers, and do best with a busy mind. This is REALLY the time for a busy mind, and being that I grew up in construction and turning wrenches and generally fix most everything myself, it's just my coping mechanism...

So, to my question. If my PDR guy can fix the hail dings on the 5th Gen on the body sheet metal, the pieces left dinged are those belonging to the chrome window moldings. I suspect I could replace these myself, and probably would prefer to because I found the written service instructions that advise to remove the interior door panels and the side mirrors to replace the "portal moldings," but they have NO illustrations or pictures of how these trim pieces are attached. Traditionally, it's some form of clips and maybe some hardware at ends/corners/transitions. Can anyone who has changed their moldings share any details I can noodle over until appraisals are done and checks cut for repairs?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guys and Gals, I'm absolutely sick to my stomach... I live in the area of Pennsylvania where fierce, tornadic storms ripped through last night, May 29th. Our home, our property (landscaping, trees), tractor/garden shed, travel trailer, Yukon XL, my 4th Gen Dually, and my 5th Gen 1500 were all beat down and ruined by the hail, winds and flying debris! To give you a sense, premium top-of-the-line vinyl siding that was sun-warmed and pliable was blown right through by the hail! In fact, hail blew right through my travel trailer sidewall, which is made from a laminated wood-fiberglass composite!!! My home is only 4 years old and will need half the windows replaced, full re-siding/soffits/fascia/gutters, and a new roof. Same with the 1 year-old shed plus its overhead door.
Landscaping my wife and I have been building for 3 years is devastated.
Everything on the roof of our camper was destroyed or torn off, water poured through the broken skylight and roof vents, and the hail even knocked the exterior lights off and punched holes in the ~6" of exposed awning that remains when stowed. Every single body panel and trim piece on the Yukon, dually and 5th Gen has hail damage. I know one of the best in the PDR business, and he's coming out to evaluate and appraise on Saturday, but he fears that some of the overlapping hail dings will force traditional body work and paint. I know this is going to be a long, rough battle with my insurance given the age of the Yukon, regardless of being pristine; the camper since they don't hold their value; the house because the siding color has been discontinued; and, finally the RAM to make it as perfect as it should be for only 5K on it...

Some may think this ridiculous, but I'm running through my head how to fix things and get back on level... However, we engineers are problem-solvers, and do best with a busy mind. This is REALLY the time for a busy mind, and being that I grew up in construction and turning wrenches and generally fix most everything myself, it's just my coping mechanism...

So, to my question. If my PDR guy can fix the hail dings on the 5th Gen on the body sheet metal, the pieces left dinged are those belonging to the chrome window moldings. I suspect I could replace these myself, and probably would prefer to because I found the written service instructions that advise to remove the interior door panels and the side mirrors to replace the "portal moldings," but they have NO illustrations or pictures of how these trim pieces are attached. Traditionally, it's some form of clips and maybe some hardware at ends/corners/transitions. Can anyone who has changed their moldings share any details I can noodle over until appraisals are done and checks cut for repairs?

Sorry to hear about the damage....hope everything gets fixed for you soon.

When you talk about the chrome moldings, all I can find in the service manuals is the bottom piece?

I think I has heard all the rest of the trim is just adhesive attached, but I could be wrong..someone else can probably help with that.

Attachments

• 23 - Body - Door Front - Molding, Door Belt, Outer - Removal and Installation.pdf
    188.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 23 - Body - Doors Rear - Molding, Door Belt, Outer - Removal and Installation.pdf
    193.3 KB · Views: 9

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I'm near Pottstown and we received marble sized hail. I did see on the news about golf ball sized hail north of me. I suppose that was your area or maybe even Chester county area that was suppose to get hit hard.

Use that insurance, that's why you pay for it. I'd focus your time on phone calls, appointments and meeting with contractors and service center. You're the fixer type as you mentioned, so am I but sometimes you have to punt and let the defense do it's job.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear about all of the damage! Glad you and your family are ok!

I've been through a tornado, several hurricanes and countless bad storms through the years.

Never easy to recover from but you will.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

yellowboy

Reaction score
My 2007 F150 was pummeled by hail in Carbon County PA. Bought it in April 2007 new and in June 2007 it was dinged to the max. Travelers sent some idiot adjuster up from Bucks County who was clueless on the estimate but the body shop I took it to used someone they knew from Travelers who upped the estimate to what it needed to be. They did PDR on the doors and quarter panels but had to cut the roof off and weld a new one on.. The hood was replaced because they cant do PDR on aluminum. I still have it, it has 123,000 miles on it and you can't tell it was ever done. The one other bad thing--- there is a record of it now that will follow it as "hail damage repaired" but wont matter if you keep it as long as I did. I'm on here thinking of getting a 2020 Ram.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
My truck was hit hard at the end of March by a North Texas storm, ended up with over $8k in damage including the trim you mentioned. After getting it all repaired by a local PDR shop, I can honestly say my truck looks better than the day I bought it. No rattles, creaks, squeaks or other issues from having panels removed and trim replaced. It is amazing what a good PDR shop can accomplish. My wife's Acura was worse, same trim type issues as well and it was all repaired to look like new. Sucks for sure, but I'm not as worried about the process as I once was.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for letting people know that just because it gets hailed on doesn’t mean “it will never be the same”.
Ask people in Tx and Ok about hail damage. To them its an annual part of life.

M

MJB4450

My 2007 F150 was pummeled by hail in Carbon County PA. Bought it in April 2007 new and in June 2007 it was dinged to the max. Travelers sent some idiot adjuster up from Bucks County who was clueless on the estimate but the body shop I took it to used someone they knew from Travelers who upped the estimate to what it needed to be. They did PDR on the doors and quarter panels but had to cut the roof off and weld a new one on.. The hood was replaced because they cant do PDR on aluminum. I still have it, it has 123,000 miles on it and you can't tell it was ever done. The one other bad thing--- there is a record of it now that will follow it as "hail damage repaired" but wont matter if you keep it as long as I did. I'm on here thinking of getting a 2020 Ram.

PDR can be done on aluminum, it's just more difficult. All depends upon the expertise of the PDR tech. I had over 300 dings on my Challenger including dings on the aluminum hood. The chain PDR shop didn't even look at it, said they would have to supplement the insurance claim and it would take a week. I researched, found a guy who used to teach PDR then opened his own business. He did it for the insurance amount and it took all of five hours including detrim and reassembly. Research pays.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MJB4450

OP, regarding the trim removal, ask your PDR guy. Mine knows exactly how each and every trim piece it attached to any given vehicle. So yours should be able to clue you in on how yours are assembled. I can also confirm as other's have posted that a good PDR guy will have the vehicle looking perfect. Good one's are truly artists with those tools they have. It's amazing to watch.

Firebird

Reaction score
So sorry for your lost, my sister was in it too.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about this. These natural disaster wreak havoc this time of the year. Glad nobody was hurt. That’s the important thing. Hope the rest gets sorted quickly and favorably for you.

geotex1

Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, folks. I have to be honest, my wife and I have really had the wind taken out of our sales...

The area has be officially designated a catastrophe, which translates to who knows when adjustors will be available... In the meantime, I'm lining up getting estimates and putting together costs/receipts related to improvements we've done since moving in as well as gathering up all my vehicle records and receipts so I'm prepared for battle if need be. However, I'm stressing regardless, especially as I have heavy business travel lined up for the next few months.

Regarding the PDR work, I hear you all! The guy I know has been at it 38 years, past winner of the "Dent Olympics" and is a VALE Certified Master Craftsman, which is achieved through repairing dents in steel and aluminum. He has done seemingly magical repairs for me over the years, but what my vehicles look like right now have me thinking a real magician or a heck of a lot of bodywork and paint are needed. I doubt there is any ground for a diminished value claim from a Force Majeure/Act of God event...

geotex1

Reaction score
Well, today was a long day on the road getting estimates for my 5th Gen. Interestingly, that's now SOP with my insurance company instead of them writing an estimate. The PDR came in at $13.5K including the chrome window trim and a new Lomax. Have to remove windshield and rear window. Traditional body shop, one I truly trust, came in $5 under $13K and they will want a new roof and hood. I'm just not down with that much grafting on a new truck, especially after they said it a must to strip the interior. I would also have to have all the PPF and coating redone, and considering with that, PDR is the cheaper route because they can do the work without affecting either.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ask people in Tx and Ok about hail damage. To them its an annual part of life.
We get pounded here in CO as well. Seeing cars that resemble golf balls is not unusual.
Facts + Statistics: Hail
Texas was the state with the most wind/hail losses, followed by Illinois, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Iowa, South Dakota and Kansas.
Sorry to hear you're going through this @geotex1 . I'm glad that you guys are safe. It'll take some time to recover, so just take it 1 day at a time. You'll get there.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for your problems, glad to hear you are recovering.

geotex1

Reaction score
Saw the PDR progress on my 5th Gen on Friday, and I am simply amazed! Obviously the roof had me on edge, but that was what was just finished on Friday after working on it for the entire week. I now believe my PDR guy to be a true magician! LOL! It will be finished up on Wednesday - glass going back in today and all the new trim pieces going on tomorrow. He'll then wash it up and do a final QC check before I get there I do my look-over. Can't wait to get my daily driver back!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing how far PDR has come in the last 20 years. Good to hear that they're making progress with your truck!

Dave07

Reaction score
Where in Pennsylvania are you? I’m out near Pittsburgh and we have been getting some crazy storms here, lots of flooding. The hail and tornadoes have been limited.

These past 2 years in Pennsylvania have been crazy weather wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score

2007 F150 had an aluminum roof?

Also, I've had aluminum bodied cars for year, I've never had issues with PDR being performed on them.

Users who are viewing this thread