5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More efficicient....right. What car and driver says......

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gonna guess GM knew this before releasing that truck to the unsuspecting public. That feels dishonest.

Jackham

Reaction score
Well I am coming off of 8 years with the first year ecoboost and here are some thoughts.

First of all car magazines do a really crappy job testing turbos, in trucks double that. By that I mean if you go the ecoboost route you have to drive very differently. If you drive it like a V8 it will do worse, which of course Ford never says as they don't want to raise any ripples. So if you use a truck as a truck and as a mileage vehicle like I do in Montana it is great. The ecoboost at 68 over gentle hills will get you 21.9 mpg pretty consistently, which is the typical Montana two road. It will also go like a scared cat and tow like crazy at which time it is slightly better but not by much for mpg. However with my 3.73 rear end half ton heavy duty Ford managed to put the RPM above 2,100 at 75 so interstate sucks. They are lazy. They could make the 6th gear keep the RPM down but they don't. One pickup for all.

So I highly doubt we know yet how the 2.7T will do yet until guys like me drive them. As far as reliability I am at 180,000 miles no issues. I am getting a new FANCY Ram as I deserve one and my wife needs the F150 for her horse trailer. I drive around with too many guys that drive really dumb and deserve the mileage they get. These are the same guys that back up and then hit drive before they stop and then say the tranny sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread