5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar vs After Market Bed Step

Nm379

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this is already posted, but didn't come across anything when I searched. I have a 2021 1500 Laramie. I wish I negotiated this w/the purchase, but I really want to add a bed step. Problem is the Mopar one seems to be going up in price every time I look (it's over doubled in the past year). Anyone have experience using an after market one? Any suggestions on brand? I've seen some that are really reasonable price-wise, just concerned they won't be as good of quality or performance. Haven't found any videos that compare either. Thoughts?

GARebel19

Reaction score
I recently bought an aftermarket step after seeing that thread and installed it last week. I looked around at different listings on Amazon and ebay and they ranged from $120 to $180 but I could not find a difference in any of them. Most had no brand name attached so I figured they were all the same. That being said I ended up finding one for $112 after tax and shipping on ebay. It came with instructions and installed easily. It appears well made and I have no concerns at this point.

Foxmanok

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one off Ebay for 108 or something like that. They all looked the same to me too.
I installed it without any issues. The only thing I've noticed is the paint wearing on corner. (I'm old and use it a lot)

Nm379

Reaction score
I bought one off Ebay for 108 or something like that. They all looked the same to me too.
I installed it without any issues. The only thing I've noticed is the paint wearing on corner. (I'm old and use it a lot)
If any of you know the brand you bought, I'd love to take a look. Thanks!

GARebel19

Reaction score
There is no name on the step itself and I don't remember seeing one on the instructions. When I get home ai can send you pics of mine and send you the listing I got it from.v

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found a OEM take off locally someone was selling that he removed.from his truck before trading in. Paid $150 for it. Still looked fairly new.

GARebel19

Reaction score
This is the one I bought. It's odd that his price has gone up in the past 2 weeks but you can make him a reasonable offer. I did even when it was $120 and he accepted it.

Attachments

• 20220911_104206.jpg
    20220911_104206.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220911_104213.jpg
    20220911_104213.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57

Conundrum

Reaction score
There are some of these aftermarket ones for sale today on Amazon for Prime Day. I may get one. Just not sure which one.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are some of these aftermarket ones for sale today on Amazon for Prime Day. I may get one. Just not sure which one.
I just looked and they’re all so close in price that I don’t think it’s worth trying an unknown brand. The jdmspeed brand is cheaper on ebay. There’s also a possibility that all of them come from the same chinese factory, but I’m speculating on that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just make sure to keep an eye on it for rusting and binding

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i bought mine on ebay a year ago all were exactly the same. went for the cheapest. many ram parts are made in china. previous to that bought one from an ebay dealer and it was missing the bolts. sent it back.
still can't figure out why ram can't make a step bumper

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i bought mine on ebay a year ago all were exactly the same. went for the cheapest. many ram parts are made in china. previous to that bought one from an ebay dealer and it was missing the bolts. sent it back.
Because the step bumper is stupid. Especially if you do any type of lift kit or larger tires. Imagine thinking stepping up just a few inches less than the actual bumper is considered a better design. As opposed to an actual step the tucks up out of the way, barely noticeable, and actually gives you a lower initial step most people can reach.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Please don’t. I hate the look of the step bumper on the Chevy’s.

Users who are viewing this thread