5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Side Steps

whododat

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 19 Big Horn which did not have side steps from the factory, so I purchased a set from moparpartsdirect.com and picked them up.
Well, what looked like an easy install turned out to be something else. My Ram had pre-installed threaded studs on it and the nuts that came with the side steps will not go on easy. The threads have a coating on them but I tried everything to get them on with no luck. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Some nuts would start threading and then become really hard to turn. Some would not thread at all. Something just isn't right. While I am not an ASE certified mechanic, I am certainly capable of installing the side steps. I am afraid if I force the issue, the studs will bend or break as the recommended torque is only 12 ft lbs.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drop them off at your dealer and have them install them

whododat

Reaction score
I actually bought a die to chase the threads and still had same issue. Might have to go dealer route if I can't figure it out.

Agitated

Reaction score
If they are that difficult even after cleaning the threads, then Id look at the thread pitch of the nuts and studs. I bet they are different

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I was about to pull the trigger on the #82215300 step rails until I seen your post. I looked up the very short installation instructions and it does mention needing to Die prior to installation. Did you have any luck?

I've always had a hate-hate relationship with any tap and die set. But found if you chamfer, oil and then also back the die up ever few turns it works out more. Hopefully that's all that's needed cause I wouldn't want to break out a tap if the problem is on the other end.

whododat

Reaction score
I have not given it a second try yet. Waiting to hear back from dealer rep. Bueller?, Bueller???
I will give it another shot this weekend.

Agitated

Reaction score
You really don't want to use a die on the studs. You want a thread repairer that doesn't take any more material off, but will clean and repair any damaged threads. You can get them just about anywhere, I think I got mine at Harbor Freight. You can use the different tools in a kit like that to confirm the thread pitch too.

Attachments

• 91P4-C2GvQL._SL1500_.jpg
    91P4-C2GvQL._SL1500_.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 35

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used my dremel with wire brush attachment and worked perfectly. Takes patience to do all the bolts but definitely worth the effort because that paint overspray can wreck the threads on the nuts if you don't clean it off because that happened to me on the first one lol.

Users who are viewing this thread